Windows 10: Only Admin user yet I cannot modify or delete various files

Discus and support Only Admin user yet I cannot modify or delete various files in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hello Ten Forums. I come with an issue bugging me for the past week and thought maybe you can help me. I'm into modding and wanted to play a mod's... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Ghostsniper1701, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Only Admin user yet I cannot modify or delete various files

Hello Ten Forums. I come with an issue bugging me for the past week and thought maybe you can help me.

I'm into modding and wanted to play a mod's new version which required deleting the old file because overwriting it would screw something up.

I get this issue

Only Admin user yet I cannot modify or delete various files [​IMG]

I hit continue, then this happens

This doesn't make sense to me as I'm the only admin as far as I'm aware. So I do some digging.

I then get to here

I check to confirm I have Admin rights to this thing

but I still cannot delete the file.

Do these parts have anything to do with it?

I've screwed up before when changing my account and I had to wipe and restart my computer to regain control of what I do now.

What is the best course of action in this situation? I don't want to screw up again so I came here, hopefully we can fix this fast

Side Edit: This seems to happening to Steam Game files too, I uninstalled XCOM 2 the other day and the files remained. I get the same message popup

:)

Ghostsniper1701, Jul 8, 2017
  2. Sher Amo Win User

Using the Read Only Attribute

Hi,

A read-only file can be opened and viewed like any other file with the exception of the ability to edit and modify its contents. These files are typically used as templates for creating new files. Since read-only files cannot be modified, they often serve
    as a model or blueprint for creating several similar files.

However, a read-only file can also be deleted. Windows allows end-users to delete a file even though the attribute was set to read-only. It doesn't mean that a read-only can't be deleted.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Sher Amo, Jul 8, 2017
  3. Cannot delete files despite being admin and having full permissions. Honestly no idea what to do.

I have the same issue and I am the sole user of the PC.

I am the only account and I am the admin yet I am currently unable to delete anything in the Program Files folder.

AvengerBroodlord, Jul 8, 2017
  4. Only Admin user yet I cannot modify or delete various files

Try to take ownership of Steam's folder.

Code: takeown /f "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam" /a /r /d y icacls "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam" /inheritance:r /grant:r AdministratorsOnly Admin user yet I cannot modify or delete various files :(OI)(CI)F /t /c[/quote]

TairikuOkami, Jul 8, 2017
  5. Found the issue, apparently it's a Steam related problem when you install it to the Program Files(x86). Somehow you lose Admin Rights to the files and complete control over them.
    I entered Safe Mode, deleted the files, reinstalled Steam to somewhere else, and I now have full control over the files.

Ghostsniper1701, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Only Admin user yet I cannot modify or delete various files

1. Only Admin user yet I cannot modify or delete various files - Similar Threads - Admin user yet

2. Permission to modify Domain Admin user Active Directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Permission to modify Domain Admin user Active Directory: Hello everyone, we need to give helpdesk users the ability to reset/unlock/delete etc all users in the AD domain.Currently, by delegating domain control, they can only do this for users with permissions lower than theirs, but for users with the same permissions or higher they...
  3. Accidentally deleted admin user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Accidentally deleted admin user: So it seems I deleted the admin user from my Dell computer running windows 10 pro after making the other one admin. or so I thought. Now when needing to do anything that requires admin permissions I don't get a Yes or no pop-up window, I get just the "no" option. I can't even...
  4. Accidentally deleted admin user

Accidentally deleted admin user: So it seems I deleted the admin user from my Dell computer running windows 10 pro after making the other one admin. or so I thought. Now when needing to do anything that requires admin permissions I don't get a Yes or no pop-up window, I get just the "no" option. I can't even...
  5. Accidentally deleted admin user

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Deleted the only User admin account

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted the only User admin account: Hi there, hopefully there’s some help out there, stupidly I have deleted the only user account on my windows laptop and it won’t let me factory reset the pc.Back story is I was trying to free space in C drive because it wouldn’t allow me to uninstall anything and it wouldn’t...
  7. Cannot modify existing folders/files in default user directories?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot modify existing folders/files in default user directories?: Randomly all of a sudden, I cannot modify existing files/folders in any of the default user directories (Music, Pictures, Documents, etc.) I can create new files/folders but cannot delete, rename, move, etc. them once created or ones that already exist. Permissions show my...
  8. Cannot delete or modify an application

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot delete or modify an application: Somehow an app called "Chromium" and another called "Avast Free Antivirus" got downloaded on my computer. I cannot uninstall the applications or even put them in the trash bin. I have tried using the chat feature to talk to IT and they have took remote access of my computer 3...
  9. I cannot install iCloud for Windows using my MS Admin user account. Yet when I grant admin...

I cannot install iCloud for Windows using my MS Admin user account. Yet when I grant admin...: Rig: Acer 64b Windows 10 desktop, i5-7400, 16Gb ram I downloaded the 'iCloud for Windows' from the Microsoft store. In the middle of the install I get this: [ATTACH] After 90 minutes on the phone with Apple support we discovered this only happens under my Admin user....
  10. Deleted user account but cannot delete all user files

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Deleted user account but cannot delete all user files: I deleted the previous user account on a laptop given to me by my friend (Joanne) and changed it to a new name (Serena). This seemed to work and when when I login it is with the new username. However there seems to be contradicting info about user accounts on my pc. The first...