Windows 10: Only one of two Windows 10 machines can connect to XP machine

Discus and support Only one of two Windows 10 machines can connect to XP machine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have an XP Machine that has several shared resources (USB Drives, partitions, folders, etc.) and have had an XP LAN for years. I want to be able to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Silky, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Silky Win User

Only one of two Windows 10 machines can connect to XP machine

I have an XP Machine that has several shared resources (USB Drives, partitions, folders, etc.) and have had an XP LAN for years. I want to be able to access the shared resources from two other Windows 10 machines.

Problem: The Acer (Win 10 Home) can see shared resources on the Surface (Win 10 Pro), but CANNOT see ANY of the shared resources on the Gateway (Windows XP Pro). The Surface can see ALL shared resources on the Gateway and shared resources on the Acer.

The rule, as I understand it is that all computers must be in the same workgroup. They aren't. The 2 Win 10 machines are in a workgroup called WORKGROUP, and the XP machine is in a workgroup called HOME. Yet the Surface can see shared resourced on the Gateway which is in a different workgroup.

How can I get the Acer to see the same resources (ostensibly across workgroups) as the Surface?

SMB 1.0 File sharing support is enabled on the Surface; enabling it on the Acer did not solve the problem. I don't even know where to start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

Silky, Mar 17, 2019
  2. Seafrog Win User

Workgroup Windows 10 and XP machines no longer see each other

My 4 machine workgroup network, 2 XP and 2 Win 10 machines, was functioning fairly well until the recent "Creator" upgrade. Now the XP machines can no longer see the 10 machines and the 10 machines can't see the XP machines. The machines of the other OS are not listed. Would like to get the workgroup functional again. Have done multiple reboots and have run the suggested troubleshooters with no results. Have any ideas?

Seafrog, Mar 17, 2019
  3. Mounting Windows 10 machine's disk on an XP machine via network share

So it's still not working: I still can't access my laptop (Win 10) drive from my desktop machine (Win XP). But I can access the my desktop (Win XP) machine's drive from my Win 10 Laptop. It used to work both ways before I "upgraded" the laptop to Win 10.

Here is what I have tried since then.

(1) Made sure that the sharing permissions on my laptop give "full control" to members of group Administrators.

(2) My account on both machines is a member of group Administrators with the same username and password.

(3) Followed Arun B J.'s steps (above) to activate the Administrator account.

Please note that my desktop can mount the laptop's drive (i.e. assign it a drive letter), I just get an "Access Denied" error message when I try to list or access its files.

UPDATE: Referring to step (1) above: If I change the permissions to give "full control" to Everyone, then my desktop can access it OK. It is only when I restrict access to group Administrators that I get "Access Denied." My username and
    password are the same on both machines, and my account on both has Administrator privileges; why doesn't Windows 10 acknowledge that I am, in fact, an Administrator?

Rich Pasco, Mar 17, 2019
  4. Garak Win User

Windows XP Machine - Shows Connected, Can't See Mapped Drives

We have a legacy Windows XP Machine connected to a Steel Forming machine that has constant issues connecting.

Currently, it shows connected to our network and domain. Yet it says it has no access to the mapped drives. The drives are mapped directly to the static IP of our fileserver since I had issues with legacy XP machines connecting to the domain when I upgraded
    to Server 2012 some years back.

The machine has a static IP with proper Network Mask, DNS and Proper Default Gateway info.

It will not ping from the server or my PC.

In the past, I've replaced network card, removed and re-added it, went from static to dynamic. Nothing seems to work and the bam, it will work again.

Any suggestions?

Garak, Mar 17, 2019
Thema:

1. Only one of two Windows 10 machines can connect to XP machine - Similar Threads - machines connect machine

2. Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Win 7 virtual machine with XP Mode on Win 10 or an XP virtual machine: I'm up to 3 attempts at installing an XP machine on Hyper V (Windows 10 Pro), and though I can get the machine to run, I cannot find the browser I installed. Using the Hyper V tutorial, I followed carefully the points of unblocking both WindowsXPMode_en-us.exe and Opera's...
  3. Windows 10, can install on at least two machines?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10, can install on at least two machines?: Hi, I plan on buying windows 10 64bit for my PC, but I would like to know if there was a version somewhere that allowed me to install and activate on at least two machines. An answer to a question in this Amazon link for windows 10 also said that if one where to change a...
  4. Enabling RDP to only one machine

in Windows 10 Customization
    Enabling RDP to only one machine: Hello, So.. Whats the best way to allow users to remote only onto once machine without giving them access to a AD group which lets them remote onto all machines? I could do it via GPO but it seems to be a overkill for something which is only temp unless someone knows a easy...
  5. New Win10 Machine Can Only See Two of Three Other Machines on Network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Win10 Machine Can Only See Two of Three Other Machines on Network: I have a 3 machine Homegroup network consisting of one Win7 and two Win10's, and 1 network printer. All 3 machines can see everything on the other two machines and the printer. All 3 machines, and the new machine, are on the same WiFi network. I'm trying to add a new Win10...
  6. New Win10 Machine Can Only See Two of Three Other Machines on Network

New Win10 Machine Can Only See Two of Three Other Machines on Network: I have a 3 machine Homegroup network consisting of one Win7 and two Win10's, and 1 network printer. All 3 machines can see everything on the other two machines and the printer. All 3 machines, and the new machine, are on the same WiFi network. I'm trying to add a new Win10...
  7. Running one monitor two machines

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Running one monitor two machines: I am wonder ng what one can use if ever someone wanted to use two machines with one monitor is there a switch type hub that can take the input from either machine one or machine two and display the output on one monitor keeping in mind there is only one keyboard and one...
  8. Running one monitor two machines

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Running one monitor two machines: I am wonder ng what one can use if ever someone wanted to use two machines with one monitor is there a switch type hub that can take the input from either machine one or machine two and display the output on one monitor keeping in mind there is only one keyboard and one...
  9. Two Win 10 machines - no connection

Two Win 10 machines - no connection: Had a new Win 10 machine, set it up solo, hardwired through a gigabit switch to my router. In the process, it found my wife's Win 7 laptop. Cool! I A few weeks later, I got another Win 10 machine, also hardwired through the same switch, and set it up. In the process, it also...
  10. RDP: 10 Local Machine - XP Remote Machine Problem

in Windows 10 Support
    RDP: 10 Local Machine - XP Remote Machine Problem: I can copy and paste only text and screenshots. 78047

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 7 machine and windows 10 machine using different ports for same traffic