Windows 10: only speakers show in control panel not audio

Discus and support only speakers show in control panel not audio in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; only speakers show in control panel not audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ElizabethJunker, Oct 10, 2018.

1. only speakers show in control panel not audio

only speakers show in control panel not audio

:)

ElizabethJunker, Oct 10, 2018
  2. paulpv Win User

Disabling Audio input/output (Microphone/Speaker/etc) in Device Manager does not disable device in Sound Control Panel or stop audio...oh my!

In Windows 10 (1803 build 17134.228), I open both "Device Manager" (devmgmt.msc) and the "Sound Control Panel" (mmsys.cpl).

Both Device Manager and the Sound Control Panel show the same audio input/output devices.

ex: "Speakers" and "Microphone".

This is good!

In Device Manager, I disable "Speakers", which continues to show up and has an icon showing it is disabled.

In Sound Control Panel, "Speakers" still shows up and *is not disabled*!

When I play a sound through the [disabled in Device Manager] Speakers, I can still hear the audio!

This is horrible!

In Device Manager, I re-enable "Speakers".

In Sound Control Panel, I disable "Speakers".

In Device Manager, "Speakers" disappears as an Audio output device.

Audio correctly cannot be heard.

This is good!

In summary:

1. Why does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" not stop audio coming out of them?
    2. What does disabling "Speakers" in "Device Manager" actually do?
    3. Why is disabling Speakers in Device Manager different than disabling Speakers in Sound Control Panel?

Now for the real meat: I am trying to disable/enable the Audio input/output device...

...the way that the Sound Control Panel does...

...but programmatically (PowerShell, C#, C...whatever works).

There are many of examples of how to disable/enable a device that involve "devcon.exe disable/enable", "Get-PnpDevice | Disable/Enable-PnpDevice", and "Get-Device | Disable/Enable-Device".

All of these result in the device being disabled in the Device Manager, and exhibiting the above undesirable behavior; the audio devices still show up in Sound Control Panel and are usable. only speakers show in control panel not audio :(

I also have tried the Registry hack (HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Capture\{GUID} DeviceState=1 or 10000001), but that seems to be a cosmetic hack only and doesn't actually force close any open devices or prevent new opens.

So I'll add another question:

1. How can I programmatically disable/enable and audio device to have the same effect as doing it in Sound Control Panel?

And no; UI automation of the Sound Control Panel is not an acceptable answer.

I am looking for an actual API that can be called in the background, not a horrible UI hack that requires being in the foreground.

Thanks!

Pv

paulpv, Oct 10, 2018
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    audio and speakers problems

Hi,

It is possible that audios and speakers were not recognized due to wrong configuration settings or outdated drivers. To isolate your issue, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried connecting your speaker/headphone to another device and check if the issue still persists?
    • Have you tried connecting another speakers/headphones and check if the issue still persists?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter by clicking on this
    link
    . It will let you automatically diagnose audio problems and will provide you a remedy.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you run the troubleshooter for Hardware and Devices. This will identify and diagnose technical issues. Follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X on your keyboard and select
      Control Panel.
    • On the upper right part of the Control Panel window, type
      Troubleshooting
    • Select Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all.
    • Click Hardware and Devices and follow the prompt to proceed with the troubleshooter.
    • Restart your PC and check if the issue still persist.

Let us know if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, Oct 10, 2018
  4. only speakers show in control panel not audio

Re-enable audio device

Hi,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before we proceed with troubleshooting, I would need little information on the issue.

• Are using speakers / head phones to listen to audio?
    If you have disabled the audio device, then you might not see it under the list of playback devices. I would suggest you to follow these steps to make sure you see the disabled devices:

• Open
        Control panel

• Click Hardware and Sound and then Click on
        Sounds.

• Under Playback tab, right click on the empty area and make sure
        “Show Disabled Devices” has a check mark on it. If headphones/Speakers are disabled, it will now show up in the list.

• Right click on the device and
        Enable it. Click OK.
    If the issue still persists, try enabling speakers automatically using steps below.

• Go to Settings> Click on themes> Advance sound settings> right click on the speakers or the audio device youo have connected > click on
      Configure device.

• Test the sound level you want, click Next.

• And configure the audio devices.

Hope this helps you. Do reply if you need further assistance on Windows 10.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

only speakers show in control panel not audio

1. only speakers show in control panel not audio - Similar Threads - speakers show control

2. Nvidia control panel not showing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Nvidia control panel not showing: Hi everyone my nvidia control panel is not showing. I have done everything from reinstalling graphics cards to reinstall windows but still facing issue.In device manager under display nvidia is reflecting but in taks manager it is not reflecting. When I am opening it from all...
  3. Nvidia control panel not showing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Nvidia control panel not showing: Hi everyone my nvidia control panel is not showing. I have done everything from reinstalling graphics cards to reinstall windows but still facing issue.In device manager under display nvidia is reflecting but in taks manager it is not reflecting. When I am opening it from all...
  4. LG Bluetooth Speakers are Showing as "Disconnected" in Sound Control Panel

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    LG Bluetooth Speakers are Showing as "Disconnected" in Sound Control Panel: Hello,So my LG Stereo system is connected to Windows 10 PC via Bluetooth and the Bluetooth settings show that it is connected successfully, as well as it shows the same on the stereo system. But, when I go to select that audio device it does not appear in the selection box...
  5. control panel not showing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    control panel not showing: When I press control panel it doesn't open, but the icon on the bottom toolbar shows that it is open. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/control-panel-not-showing/3f5f359b-9c19-4181-8371-c45ed3ae9371
  6. audio control panel and drivers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    audio control panel and drivers: apologies for any confusion with my phrasing. i bought the behringer xenyx q802usb recently and it was working fine until i wanted to use it on fl studio. there were drivers already on windows that made it work i had to download better drivers to remove noise in the mix, but...
  7. Realtek control panel not showing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Realtek control panel not showing: I don't know why that's not showing. submitted by /u/eiccaoffical [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dzysfj/realtek_control_panel_not_showing/
  8. via audio panel control

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    via audio panel control: How I can get the Via audio control to adjust and change speakers configuration https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/via-audio-panel-control/1d0fbc0e-5ee4-47b3-868c-1ca28897d82b
  9. Programs not showing in control panel

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Programs not showing in control panel: Hi, When I open control panel, programs do appear, but not all of my programs. I am suspecting that this is due to the recent update on my computer....
  10. Show Only Specified Control Panel Items in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Show Only Specified Control Panel Items in Windows: How to: Show Only Specified Control Panel Items in Windows How to Show Only Specified Control Panel Items in Windows [img] Information You can use Control Panel to change settings for Windows. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works,...