Windows 10: Only Stereo Sound Output via HDMI Cable When 5.1 Available

Discus and support Only Stereo Sound Output via HDMI Cable When 5.1 Available in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi I have a Dell Studio 1749 laptop running Windows 10 64bit connected to a Bluray 5.1 surround sound home theatre system via HDMI cable for audio... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TalynX, Aug 25, 2018.

1. TalynX Win User

Only Stereo Sound Output via HDMI Cable When 5.1 Available

Hi

I have a Dell Studio 1749 laptop running Windows 10 64bit connected to a Bluray 5.1 surround sound home theatre system via HDMI cable for audio output through the 5.1 speakers and visual output on the HD TV.

I'm not sure exactly when this happened, but I recently noticed audio output had dropped from 5.1 surround sound to 2.0 stereo at some point recently (I suspect maybe a recent Win update at some point?). This happens regardless of the output type (ie I know the audio should be 5.1).

I have tested the output from the home theatre kit and it is fine. But all the options in Windows are for stereo 2.0 output only - all the options for 5.1 or greater output are greyed out. It insists I only have access to two speakers. The device manager confirms that audio output is via AMD HDMI Audio and is functional.

Dell support are a no-go as they won't touch any of their products that are over 5 years old with a poopy stick! Only Stereo Sound Output via HDMI Cable When 5.1 Available :mad:

I have run trouble shooter and updated all the drivers I can. It's like Windows no longer realises it can output audio at greater than stereo 2.0 quality, but could if it only tried.

Any ideas?

:)

TalynX, Aug 25, 2018
  2. eranatar Win User

No surround output after connecting HDMI cable (only stereo) in Windows 10

Old title: No surround output

Hi All,

I have a "problem" with my Lenovo yoga laptop, I'm not able to get surround with HDMI cable (only stereo), is it because of my sound card (conexant smartaudio hd) or is it something that i can fix?

eranatar, Aug 25, 2018
  3. Sound not going through HDMI cable

Hello,

A quick question before we proceed:

Which troubleshooting steps have you tried?

HDMI cables do support audio signals, but not all HDMI-enabled video cards support audio. If your HDTV has an audio input, you might be able to connect a separate audio cable from your computer's sound card directly to the TV.
    Otherwise, you'll need to connect the audio signal to a different output device, such as external computer speakers or your home stereo system. Follow these methods and check if it helps:

Method 1:

By default Windows does not route sound over the HDMI output. To change this we need to change the settings in control panel.

Note: This will turn off sound from the speakers or normal audio output on the laptop. To get that back you will have to reverse this process.

a) Press Windows key + X

b) Click on "Control Panel"

c) With the Control Panel in "Control Panel Home" view please click on "Hardware and Sound"

d) Where it says "Sound" in green letters there are three options below that are in blue click on "Manage Audio Devices"

e) This will bring up a window labeled "Sound"

f) On the "Playback" tab there is listed the sound options available to you. One should read "Digital Output Device (HDMI)" Click on that.

g) There should now be a check mark on that option, make HDMI sound output as default.

h) The Sound should then play through your HDMI hookups to the TV.

Method 2: Update the Sound driver.

Please follow the steps given here.

a) Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.

b) Select Device Manager.

c) Double-click Sound driver from the left panel to Update.

d) Right-click the device, and click Update driver Software

e) Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.

Please reboot your computer.

Hope it helps. For any further Windows related assistance, feel free to contact us and we will be glad to help

Anju Thekkethil, Aug 25, 2018
  4. CindyQP Win User

Can't get sound through HDMI cable

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and can no longer get sound through my HDMI cable. The video works fine. I am on a Dell laptop and a Panasonic Viera TV. When I go to the start menu and go to sound, it says Realtek High Definition Audio output as a playback
    device but there is nothing about HDMI. (Other posts/replies seem to suggest that HDMI should be listed.) I am not terribly sophisticated with this stuff so a simple solution would be much appreciated.

CindyQP, Aug 25, 2018
Thema:

1. Only Stereo Sound Output via HDMI Cable When 5.1 Available - Similar Threads - Stereo Sound Output

2. Graphics card HDMI output only sending stereo for multichannel source

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics card HDMI output only sending stereo for multichannel source: My Windows 11 workstation has an RTX 3070 GPU, whose HDMI output is connected to a Denon AV amp AVC-X8500H. The Windows Sound settings for this output support multichannel audio but the AV amp treats it as a stereo input even when playing multichannel videos on the computer....
  3. Graphics card HDMI output only sending stereo for multichannel source

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics card HDMI output only sending stereo for multichannel source: My Windows 11 workstation has an RTX 3070 GPU, whose HDMI output is connected to a Denon AV amp AVC-X8500H. The Windows Sound settings for this output support multichannel audio but the AV amp treats it as a stereo input even when playing multichannel videos on the computer....
  4. Sound Output Can't Stereo

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sound Output Can't Stereo: My earphone device can't get stereo soundI've tried my various earphones but they still don't support stereo sound.I've tried updating the latest driver but the result is the same....
  5. Sound Output Can't Stereo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sound Output Can't Stereo: My earphone device can't get stereo soundI've tried my various earphones but they still don't support stereo sound.I've tried updating the latest driver but the result is the same....
  6. HDMI sound have 5.1 sound selected but only stereo is being played

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDMI sound have 5.1 sound selected but only stereo is being played: Hello. I am running hdmi from windows 10 pc to a marantz integrated amp via hdmi. I have selected 5.1 sound but in all movies, it is only outputting in stereo. In the test, all channels work. My sound driver is intel. Ive tried all the different sample rates. Any...
  7. Windows 10 only outputting sounds via bluetooth

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 only outputting sounds via bluetooth: Okay so maybe im overlooking something here but i have the problem that even tho windows is saying everythings working correctly and everythings plugged in (already updated the drivers(even tried different ones)) there is no sound coming from my speakers even tho the sound is...
  8. Stereo Only in Sound Settings for HDMI via Intel iGPU in Windows 10 Build 1809

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stereo Only in Sound Settings for HDMI via Intel iGPU in Windows 10 Build 1809: Hi, On new HTPC (Asus WS-Z390-Pro [BIOS 0603], w/Intel i7-8700K & w/iGPU) I only have stereo configuration available in Sound settings/Playback for Intel iGPU (UHD 630) via HDMI to Onkyo TX-RZ1100 AV receiver (new, capable of 7.1 and setup for same). Not currently using the...
  9. sound with hdmi cable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    sound with hdmi cable: I connected my computer with an hdmi cable to my tv and the display and sound worked fine. But every time that I wake my computer up after that I have no sound unless I disconnect and then reconnect the hdmi cable to the tv. How can this be resolved without having to...
  10. Output via hdmi problems

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Output via hdmi problems: Basically I'm having issues with connecting my pc to my projector, because the second display settings from my previous connection to a TV are not compatible with the projectors parameters. My previous settings were to display only on the TV at 1080/120 hz. My projector...