Windows 10: Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep

Discus and support Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My system: Win 10 64 bit Retail, MSI B150M Mortar, Intel i5-6500, Samsung 512GB SSD, Corsair 2 x 4 GB Memory, etc. Although my keyboard and mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChriskK, Feb 12, 2016.

1. ChriskK Win User

Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep

My system: Win 10 64 bit Retail, MSI B150M Mortar, Intel i5-6500, Samsung 512GB SSD, Corsair 2 x 4 GB Memory, etc.

Although my keyboard and mouse are allowed to wake the PC from sleep (in Device Manager), they don't wake the PC. Interestingly, pressing the "Power Button" on my Fractal R5 case does wake it up from sleep. Any idea about what's going on?

:)

ChriskK, Feb 12, 2016
  2. EdwardYQ Win User

Keyboard and mouse cannot wake the computer after sleep

I did run troubleshooting for power in System and Security, and it detected that the time before display goes to sleep is too long (and that it was fixed). But the keyboard still cannot wake the pc after sleep.

However, during the time that the on/off button of the display is white when going into sleep (then having a black screen), the keyboard is able to wake the pc. Only when the on/off button of the display is orange, the keyboard cannot wake the pc anymore.

EdwardYQ, Feb 12, 2016
  3. Gary02139 Win User
    power/sleep button only works once after each reboot

My power scheme sets the (physical) power-button action to Sleep (S3). And if I press it, the PC does properly sleep (and properly wakes when prompted to). But after the PC wakes, if I press the power button again, the button-press is just ignored (even
    though the power-scheme button-action is still set to Sleep).

If I reboot, the power button once again will put the PC to sleep, but again only the first time. Then it stops working again until after the next reboot.

The problem with sleep is ONLY when the power button is used. I can (repeatedly) put the PC to sleep via the sleep button on the keyboard, or via the power menu, or just by leaving it idle. So sleep/wake itself works fine.

And the physical button itself has no defect. The button ALWAYS works to wake the PC when it's asleep (or to shut the PC down if the button is held for several seconds). And the button ALWAYS puts the PC to sleep the first time the button is used after a reboot
    (but NEVER on subsequent attempts).

I've tried restoring the default power settings for all plans, then reestablishing my own settings, but the problem persists.

The problem did not exist under Windows 7. It started after the upgrade to Windows 10. The device manager does not flag a problem with any device (including ACPI Fixed Feature Button, which lists the event of "migrating" during the W10 upgrade; it claims to
    have the latest available driver). Sfc, dism, and chkdsk show no errors.

I've seen online reports of this same bug (sleep button works exactly once after each reboot, sleep/wake otherwise normal) on some PCs after they were upgraded from Windows 7 to 8. But I have not found any solutions online.

Motherboard is ASRock Z77 Extreme4, with latest BIOS and drivers (which do not include specific support for Windows 10, though Microsoft's compatibility checker noted no hardware or software incompatibilities prior to the W10 upgrade).

This problem is unimportant since as mentioned, I can put the PC to sleep several other equally convenient ways. But I'm curious whether anyone knows of a solution.

Gary02139, Feb 12, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

You also need to access the BIOS and setup to allow Wakeup from Keyboard/Mouse
    NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard then you also need to setup for USB to wake up.

Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep [​IMG]

topgundcp, Feb 12, 2016
  5. ChriskK Win User
    That solved the issue. Thanks, man!

ChriskK, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Similar Threads - Power Button Wakes

2. Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.: My Dell Inspiron 3670 Windows 11 desktop has recently required pressing the power button to wake from sleep no matter how the sleep mode had been initiated. Power management at Device Manager for keyboard and mouse are checked to allow device to wake the computer.There have...
  3. Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Must press PC power button to wake from sleep.: My Dell Inspiron 3670 Windows 11 desktop has recently required pressing the power button to wake from sleep no matter how the sleep mode had been initiated. Power management at Device Manager for keyboard and mouse are checked to allow device to wake the computer.There have...
  4. PC waking from sleep because power button was pressed except it wasn't

in Windows 10 Support
    PC waking from sleep because power button was pressed except it wasn't: My PC sometimes wakes from sleep, sometimes seconds after being put to sleep without me doing anything. I got the following information from the PowerShell: Code: PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake...
  5. "Power Button" wakes PC from sleep...or does it?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Power Button" wakes PC from sleep...or does it?: I have this recurring problem: About 4 weeks ago my desktop PC would wake up immediately after i set it to sleep. powercfg -lastwake query in cmd prompt returned: Type: Fixed feature, Power Button I googled this problem and also searched here on the forums and some people...
  6. Wake from sleep only with power button

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Wake from sleep only with power button: Using a Surface Pro 6 with Windows 10 latest update I want that it wakes up ONLY when I press the power button. Nothing else. Instead, it wakes up when plugging or unplugging the power cable, moving the mouse ever so slightly or pressing a button on the keyboard (both...
  7. PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?)

in Windows 10 Support
    PC only wakes from sleep with power button, not keyboard (?): My wife's Mac Mini is so old Apple will not update the OS, stating the hardware is too old. I think Apple just wants us to purchase a new Mac. *What We didn't. I built her a new PC with a mix of older, but still good hardware. *Thumbs So far so good but I have hit a snag....
  8. How to wake from hibernation only through power button?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to wake from hibernation only through power button?: I added hibernate into power menu so I can hibernate my Windows 10 now. But the thing is, the machine will wake from hibernation simply by a mouse move. This is not what I want. I just upgraded from Windows 7 so I want Win10 to behave like Win7 as much as possible. On Windows...
  9. Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Only the Power Button Wakes PC from Sleep - Laptop: I check the bios, and there is nothing about using the keyboard to wake up the cpu from sleep. 94796
  10. Windows 10 Wake Up From Sleep Without Power Button?

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Wake Up From Sleep Without Power Button?: My power button is currently broken. Is there a way to have a keyboard or mouse input wake up the computer instead? Thanks! 99208

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 1903 only power button wakes from sleep

2. windows 1903 only wakes power button

3. only power button wakes up computer

4. only power button wakes the PC up from sleep