Windows 10: Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file

Discus and support Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I copied a bunch of JPG files from my camera's SD card onto a hard drive so I can edit them. But my editor (FastStone) will not let me save an edited... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by bbinnard, Jul 9, 2018.

1. bbinnard Win User

Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file

I copied a bunch of JPG files from my camera's SD card onto a hard drive so I can edit them. But my editor (FastStone) will not let me save an edited file. I discovered that, for example, only Windows Explorer can make changes to these JPG files. Here's a screenshot of a simple example using a rename operation

Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file [​IMG]

To make the above screenshot I used Explorer to add -x to the end of one of the file names. That worked OK, But my normal file manager (Freecommander) won't let let me change the name back, or rename any other file. I also can't save an edited file, or copy/paste a file because I get the message "You need permission from...." when I try to do that.

My system is Win10/64 Home Ver. 1803 Build 17134,132 and I have done all the following things: disabled UAC, taken ownership, set permissions to allow everything, disabled Windows Defender. But something ( I wish I knew what) is still stopping me normal software from updating the JPG files.

What could it be?

:)

bbinnard, Jul 9, 2018
  2. mixa Win User

Microsoft Internet Explorer renamed to Windows Internet Explorer ?

Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file wie1.png

Since version 7 of the world`s most popular web browser - Microsoft Internet Explorer was silently renamed to Windows Internet Explorer.Such a step from Microsoft is not a surprise since Internet Explorer is part of the Windows operation system for a long time.Obviously Microsoft corp. wants to state that Internet Explorer is already considered as a part of Windows and not as an external browser (remember the IE and WMP law issues last year!?).

mixa, Jul 9, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 9, 2018
  4. Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file

Trouble renaming photos and files

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

- Are you using Photo app to rename the photos?

- Did you try renaming the photos directly from File explorer?

- Do you get any message?

I suggest you to rename photos from File Explorer and check if it helps:

Follow the steps to rename photo from File Explorer:

1. Right click on the start menu and select File Explorer.

2. Click on pictures present on the left side of the page.

3. Right on the picture you want to rename and select the option rename.

Help us with more information to assist you further.

Guru Kiran G, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file

1. Only Windows Explorer can rename JPG file - Similar Threads - Explorer rename JPG

2. File Explorer renaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer renaming: I have subfolders X, Y, and Z in a multi-subfolder folder. In Windows 10, if I wished to change X and Y, I would click the filename of X, wait a second and click it again. I would type in the new X name to change the filename, and single-click the Y folder,. The X filename...
  3. File Explorer renaming

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer renaming: I have subfolders X, Y, and Z in a multi-subfolder folder. In Windows 10, if I wished to change X and Y, I would click the filename of X, wait a second and click it again. I would type in the new X name to change the filename, and single-click the Y folder,. The X filename...
  4. Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer

Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer: I have all files in the order I want them I click on first then hold shift as I click on last to select all. I then right click the first and select rename. For example using Alpha… after pressing enter they’re Alpha 1, Alpha 2, Alpha 3 and so on until there’s a file type...
  5. Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer: I have all files in the order I want them I click on first then hold shift as I click on last to select all. I then right click the first and select rename. For example using Alpha… after pressing enter they’re Alpha 1, Alpha 2, Alpha 3 and so on until there’s a file type...
  6. Batch rename in a folder containing .jpg, .png and .mov using file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. File Explorer was Renamed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  8. File Explorer was Renamed

File Explorer was Renamed: I don't know when exacly this happened but somehow my file explorer was renamed to File Explorer1. I think i unconciously copied and pasted file explorer because it shows "1". how to fix this ? from File Explorer 1 to File Explorer.1. Using Search2. Right Clicking The Flie...
  9. Why can I not rename a file in File Explorer?

Why can I not rename a file in File Explorer?: When I enter a new file and change the name, File Explorer closes. When I do reopen, the name has not been changed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-can-i-not-rename-a-file-in-file-explorer/8ae0da8a-df59-47e6-abd7-1cf5abbe7509
  10. JPG Files in File Explorer

JPG Files in File Explorer: How can I change how Windows 10 opens a JPG file from File Explorer? I was using Paint Shop Pro X3 but it is an old version and not working anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/jpg-files-in-file-explorer/65effe9c-6639-489d-ab52-ab34c62aa031