Windows 10: Opaque rectangle when dragging and dropping - can't see target - 20H2

Discus and support Opaque rectangle when dragging and dropping - can't see target - 20H2 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, since 'upgrading' from 1903 to 20H2, I've encoutered a few disadvantages. Yesterday I came across another. Win 1903 when dragging and dropping a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, May 4, 2021.

1. dalchina Win User

Opaque rectangle when dragging and dropping - can't see target - 20H2

Hi, since 'upgrading' from 1903 to 20H2, I've encoutered a few disadvantages. Yesterday I came across another. Win 1903 when dragging and dropping a file I'd been able to see the target quite easily. Now the target is obscured, whether by a rectangle with an icon reflecting what is selected or a plain (opaque) rectangle. Formerly this was translucent (could see through it). On my other PC - staying on 1903!) - that's still true. * This only happens when starting to drag from file explorer- not if I start with an item on the desktop. - it's not related to my using Qttabar- tried uninstalling that (and it didn't affect me like that on 1903 anyway). I've looked around, found various similar reports, but no clear way to deal with this. I've tried various settings in Visual Effects to no avail. I feel I'm missing something obvious, but, like networking - can see other PC by name but no longer access it so back to USB disks) upgrading to 20H2 has affected something adversely. Ideas welcome, thanks. 19042.928

:)

dalchina, May 4, 2021
  2. Try3 Win User

dalchina,

I'm sorry but I don't have either of those problems despite also being on 20H2.
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 20H2 Build 19042.928

1 Dragging & dropping
    Mine is still translucent.

Opaque rectangle when dragging and dropping - can't see target - 20H2 [​IMG]

Might your display driver or Bios need an update provided by the maker?
    Might your display driver, even if no update is available, benefit from being reinstalled?

2 Networking
    Mine still works.
    My only suggestion is always to provide the checklist I use myself - A consolidated network setup checklist [post #2] - TenForums
    I have always used this rather plodding approach because I had to when I first started networking.

I do hope my ideas are not a complete waste of your time,
    Best of luck,
    Denis

Try3, May 4, 2021
  3. dalchina Win User

Hi, since 'upgrading' from 1903 to 20H2, I've encoutered a few disadvantages. Yesterday I came across another. Win 1903 when dragging and dropping a file I'd been able to see the target quite easily. Now the target is obscured, whether by a rectangle with an icon reflecting what is selected or a plain (opaque) rectangle.

Formerly this was translucent (could see through it). On my other PC - staying on 1903!) - that's still true.

* This only happens when starting to drag from file explorer- not if I start with an item on the desktop.
    - it's not related to my using Qttabar- tried uninstalling that (and it didn't affect me like that on 1903 anyway).

I've looked around, found various similar reports, but no clear way to deal with this.
    I've tried various settings in Visual Effects to no avail.

I feel I'm missing something obvious, but, like networking - can see other PC by name but no longer access it so back to USB disks) upgrading to 20H2 has affected something adversely.

Ideas welcome, thanks.

dalchina, May 4, 2021
  4. dalchina Win User

Have discovered - thanks to this thread-
    Possible to disable the large icon over pointer when dragging files?

that modifying a theme and saving it in Settings (I don't mean downloading one necessarily) can result in this happening.

Simply by selecting a Windows 10 theme (bottom right) instead of the one I've used for some years returns the translucent overlay when dragging a file.

Note that with the original theme I still had this problem even in Safe Mode.

Now I need to do a bit of work to see if I can achieve the same appearance again with 20H2 as in 1903 by saving a new theme including the same minor change - and indeed that wasn't too hard.

dalchina, May 4, 2021
Thema:

1. Opaque rectangle when dragging and dropping - can't see target - 20H2 - Similar Threads - Opaque rectangle dragging

2. Windows 11 drag and drop icon of file, thumbnail image is opaque, previous version of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 drag and drop icon of file, thumbnail image is opaque, previous version of...: Hello,In Windows 11, when dragging a file or folder item the thumbnail graphic is opaque and makes it very difficult to see where you are dragging the item to. In previous versions of windows the thumbnail has transparencies so you can see the target items below this. Other...
  3. Windows 11 drag and drop icon of file, thumbnail image is opaque, previous version of...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 drag and drop icon of file, thumbnail image is opaque, previous version of...: Hello,In Windows 11, when dragging a file or folder item the thumbnail graphic is opaque and makes it very difficult to see where you are dragging the item to. In previous versions of windows the thumbnail has transparencies so you can see the target items below this. Other...
  4. Drag and drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drag and drop: Why i Can't use drag and drop in windows 11?? It is so annoying, i think i have to go back to windows 10.For development work it is really bad for user. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/drag-and-drop/85e7b545-2642-4278-b569-418ba70cc539
  5. Help I can't copy files or drag and drop on 20h2

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help I can't copy files or drag and drop on 20h2: I am having issues copying files to and from hdd or external flash drive . After I drag a file let's say from a flash drive to the desktop windows explorer flash like I'm snapping to full screen but files doesn't copy over happens visa versa - how can I fix this issue this is...
  6. Target directory expands when using drag and drop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Target directory expands when using drag and drop: Ordinarily, this isn't a problem, but I am moving a lot of files at this time. I drag the file over to the target, and often, just as I turn loose of the mouse button the target directory expands and my file lands in one of the subdirectories. I then waste time trying to...
  7. Can't drag and drop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't drag and drop: I have done: sfc /scannow DISM CheckHealth and RestoreHealth commands Restarted Windows Explorer Restarted Desktop Window Manager submitted by /u/TheTank18 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iinj3x/cant_drag_and_drop/
  8. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drag and Drop: I use drag and drop to transfer data onto my network computers, but since the latest update 1903 (18362.449) drag and drop won't work. I re-imaged back a couple of months and drag and drop works ok so the fault is with the latest update. Please advise. Deric...
  9. Drag and Drop

in Windows 10 Support
    Drag and Drop: When did the ability to drag and drop from the taskbar to the desktop end? 122324
  10. macrium....unable to drag drop partitions to target drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    macrium....unable to drag drop partitions to target drive: I am following directions to clone hdd to external backup using Macrium but am unable to drag and drop partitions to target drive see below capture...am I missing a step? thanks for your help 105549