Windows 10: Open a file at log on cannot update because I have forgotten how I set it up

Discus and support Open a file at log on cannot update because I have forgotten how I set it up in Windows Hello & Lockscreen to solve the problem; Hi, This is going to sound stupid. I have a text file open in notepad when I log into my account. Not at startup but at log in. It is only a text... Discussion in 'Windows Hello & Lockscreen' started by Nev911, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Nev911 Win User

Open a file at log on cannot update because I have forgotten how I set it up

Hi,

This is going to sound stupid.

I have a text file open in notepad when I log into my account. Not at startup but at log in.

It is only a text file and now I want to move it to another location. Trouble is I've forgotten how I did it. It is NOT a

shortcut in the startup folder and it is definitely at log in because it does not start when I log into my administrator account.

If it is a scheduled task then it must be buried in the normal windows areas because I have not created a separate folder in task scheduler. There is no way to search by author in task scheduler and I have no clue what the task would be called.

So can anyone suggest a way to find out what method I used please? I know I found it by an internet search last time but I cannot find anything now.

Or is there a way to go through the boot process a step at a time then stop at each step so I can see what it is doing?

Is there a third way I might have used?

Thanks in advance.

:)

Nev911, Feb 26, 2020
  2. Tatty_One Win User

Saves log files ?

You can either read the files in Windows or my preferred method is.....

Download CCcleaner from here...........

CCleaner Professional | Try the world’s most trusted PC cleaner, free!

You can then run cleaner, you will see the log files listed, then if you right click you can save as a text file and then have a read. You may also get an "error reporting" log listed seperatly.

Tatty_One, Feb 26, 2020
  3. angus Win User
    Settings can't be opened using the built-in administrator account

Hello,
    Unfortunately I have the same issue as Dabz from upgrading win7 to win10.
    I've tried opening settings using all the suggested methods and it will not load using my account with Administrator access nor the built-in Administrator profile. I also tried other methods not listed such as using Run. Control panel is just a stepping stone to add users in Settings.
    I'm also having explorer.exe issues, which I believe is preventing Settings from loading.
    Using cmd (Admin) I successfully created a new user profile [and granted admin access also using cmd (Admin)], however win10 will not allow this account to log on. win10 does not list this new user within control panel but it does in the start menu. win10 will not allow to log in or switch to the new account via the start menu either.
    I can access settings in Safe Mode but this will not allow me to create a new account.
    Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

angus, Feb 26, 2020
  4. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Feb 26, 2020
Thema:

1. Open a file at log on cannot update because I have forgotten how I set it up - Similar Threads - Open file log

2. I can't log in into my laptop because I can't set up a new pin

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I can't log in into my laptop because I can't set up a new pin: I can't access my laptop at all because I'm unable to set up a new pin. The message says 'your pin is not longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. click to set up a your pin again'. The problem is when I try, there isn't a new window only the...
  3. I can't log in into my laptop because I can't set up a new pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't log in into my laptop because I can't set up a new pin: I can't access my laptop at all because I'm unable to set up a new pin. The message says 'your pin is not longer available due to a change to the security settings on this device. click to set up a your pin again'. The problem when I try, there isn't a new window only the...
  4. this action cannot be completed because because file is open in windows event log

in Windows 10 Gaming
    this action cannot be completed because because file is open in windows event log: I am unable to delete this file can somebody help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-action-cannot-be-completed-because-because/bbd303d5-664a-4e97-a9d3-289a345eb2f5
  5. this action cannot be completed because because file is open in windows event log

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    this action cannot be completed because because file is open in windows event log: I am unable to delete this file can somebody help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-action-cannot-be-completed-because-because/bbd303d5-664a-4e97-a9d3-289a345eb2f5
  6. I cannot log into my One Drive, Word etc. I have forgotten the microsoft password I setup...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    I cannot log into my One Drive, Word etc. I have forgotten the microsoft password I setup...: Help. I had my phone break completely and cannot get into the OneDrive or word I downloaded to the new phone. I need the password to set them up so I can Sync it to my desktop computer that has all the files etc. on them. I also need this password to fully install the...
  7. I cannot log into my One Drive, Word etc. I have forgotten the microsoft password I setup...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot log into my One Drive, Word etc. I have forgotten the microsoft password I setup...: Help. I had my phone break completely and cannot get into the OneDrive or word I downloaded to the new phone. I need the password to set them up so I can Sync it to my desktop computer that has all the files etc. on them. I also need this password to fully install the...
  8. I cannot log into my One Drive, Word etc. I have forgotten the microsoft password I setup...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. I have forgotten the third question on log in after reset

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I have forgotten the third question on log in after reset: I had to reset my laptop updates were installed by Lenovo and the BIOS On restart I was asked for the answers to three questions - I answered the first two correctly but I cannot remember the answer to the third question. I ma now denied access - what do I do?...
  10. Updated to 2004 and I can't log in because I have no keyboard!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updated to 2004 and I can't log in because I have no keyboard!: I have updated to 2004 version on my laptop and I can't log in because my keyboard and touch pad are not detected!! I have tried to connect a USB keyboard but doesn't works!!! What the hell!!!! Can someone help me? Thank you. Regards. submitted by /u/Aker666 [link]...