Windows 10: open a folder on multiple desktops

Discus and support open a folder on multiple desktops in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, I am trying to use my various desktops for different tasks, but some base folders I need on all desktops. How can I get windows to allow me to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Gerco M, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Gerco M Win User

open a folder on multiple desktops

Hello,

I am trying to use my various desktops for different tasks, but some base folders I need on all desktops. How can I get windows to allow me to open those on all desktops without suddenly switching desktops on me when I am just trying to open a new folder?

I have plenty of memory and resources so I am really okay if this takes a bit more resources from my computer.

Looking forward to fixing this so I can actually use my different desktops the way I want to without windows suddenly taking me back to a whole other desktop just because I happen to have that folder also open on that other desktop.

thanks,

Gerco

:)

Gerco M, Mar 30, 2020
  2. Gerco M Win User

Hello Kyle,

Thank you for your help, but I do not think that relates to my problem as I am relating to accessing different desktops on my current computer via the taskbar and then "task view" while this relates to network usage and other computers.

I am simply trying to let windows allow me open a folder that is already open on a different "desktop" without windows 10 taking me directly to that desktop while I am just trying to keep working in the same desktop to stay organized and switch between work,
    hobby and games in different "desktops".

I looked into the homegroup option, but it still does not allow me to have the same folder open on different desktops. When I click to open this folder on a new desktop, windows 10 still doesnt allow me and takes me where I dont want to go, to a different
    desktop.

I really would have thought that more people manage their data and folders across multiple different desktops and would have had this problem also, but I cant seem to find more information about this problem. I have looked for an option in windows to configure
    this and do "allow a folder to be open on multiple desktops" but have not found that option yet. It means at the moment before switching to a different desktop, I have to close any folder that I may also open on a different desktop and this is very time consuming
    and frustrating when next time I may need it again on the other desktop also.

Looking forward to more help on this, and I really hope windows10 can allow me to do this, as the multiple desktops option is essentially a very nice way to have more windows and tabs open, and stay organized.

Gerco M, May 25, 2020
  3. Can't open folders on desktop

Hello David,

System file corruption is one of the possible causes of this issue. For us to isolate and assist you better, kindly answer the following questions:

• What exactly happens when you try to open folder?
    • Are you getting any error messages?

Meanwhile, we suggest checking this article and follow the
    steps to automatically diagnose and repair problems with files and folders in Windows.

We're looking forward to your response.

Michelle Vil, May 25, 2020
  4. xypha Win User

Open With on multiple files?

you can do this using a workaround by using "Send to" on the right click context menu in Windows File Explorer. Here's how

Step 1 - Add Chrome shortcut to SendTo folder so that chrome may appear in the send to menu.

SendTo folder:%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

This can be done in one of several ways. I will mention one of the easiest below.

• Right-drag the Google Chrome shortcut that was created on the Desktop when Chrome installed, or the Chrome shortcut in the Start menu, to the SendTo folder and select Copy.

Note: Right-click this shortcut, select Properties, and confirm that the Target field contains no command line options, just the path + file name for Chrome.

Step 2: Select the 16 JPGs, right click, go to "Send to" & select "Google Chrome".

That's it. All JPGs will open in Chrome, each in its own tab.

I use this with Firefox, but it should work with Chrome too.

open a folder on multiple desktops AOrAC.png

Troubleshoot #1

If Google Chrome doesn't appear in the "Send to" menu, try restarting Windows File Explorer from Task Manager.

Troubleshoot #2

If the JPGs open in multiple windows, you might want to consider installing an extension in Chrome to prevent this behaviour. I suggest One Window.

xypha, May 25, 2020
Thema:

1. open a folder on multiple desktops - Similar Threads - open folder multiple

2. Multiple issues - chrome, folders not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple issues - chrome, folders not opening: Hello,Hoping someone can help me.My laptop has stopped opening desktop icons - if I go to the start menu I can open the apps e.g. Chrome there.When I try and open folders, it isn't happening just get the loading circle or if it is, very rarely are things loading - this could...
  3. Multiple issues - chrome, folders not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple issues - chrome, folders not opening: Hello,Hoping someone can help me.My laptop has stopped opening desktop icons - if I go to the start menu I can open the apps e.g. Chrome there.When I try and open folders, it isn't happening just get the loading circle or if it is, very rarely are things loading - this could...
  4. multiple desktops have only one folder desktop !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    multiple desktops have only one folder desktop !: when I switch between desktops and put files, they have the same folder desktop.so I can't have custom files or icons for each desktop.it's will be a great feature if added....
  5. multiple desktops have only one folder desktop !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    multiple desktops have only one folder desktop !: when I switch between desktops and put files, they have the same folder desktop.so I can't have custom files or icons for each desktop.it's will be a great feature if added....
  6. Desktop Folders not opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Folders not opening: Folders on my desktop will not open as before. It goes to the File Explorer folder in the task bar in mini version, but can't open full screen as normal. The File Explorer folder will not open....
  7. Multiple Documents, Pictures and Desktop Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Multiple Documents, Pictures and Desktop Folder: I'm using Win10. In My Documents I've found I have 2 of each of Pictures, Documents and Desktop folders. Although one of the Desktop folders is empty the other Documents and Pictures folders each have items in them. I think that they are local storage and OneDrive storage...
  8. Opening folders goes to desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening folders goes to desktop: Good day! When I try to open a file, attach a file or click on a shortcut, file explorer brings me to the desktop in my Quick Access list. I then have to navigate to the file I want. For example, I just clicked 'save' on a Word document. I clicked 'browse' and it went to...
  9. Multiple instances of the same folder open

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of the same folder open: I feel kinda dumb asking this, but here goes. Has windows always allowed having multiple instances of the same folder open? I can't remember. I can open the same folder from a desktop shortcut in an unlimited amount of instances. I can find my desktop toolbar filling up...
  10. Opening folders in can sometimes open multiple windows of folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening folders in can sometimes open multiple windows of folders: This issue has been going on for months on end and an possible solution I've seen has not worked, any help would be appreciated! 93118