Windows 10: OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar)

Discus and support OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I'm going crazy to find a solution for this. Example: I use the start menu of the secondary monitor to open an application, that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BBen79, Oct 23, 2015.

1. BBen79 Win User

OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar)

Hi everyone,

I'm going crazy to find a solution for this.

Example: I use the start menu of the secondary monitor to open an application, that application open on the primary monitor.

Is there a way to get that application to open on the monitor I started it from. (Using the Start Button of that monitor) ?

I don't actually get the point of having an extra start menu taskbar on that second monitor if it actually open the application on the primary one instead of the current one. It defeat the purpose of having a Start button on those secondary monitor. (I means if you gonna open an application on the primary one, I might as well just use the Start button of the primary one!!)

Also i'm having a second issue related to the first one i guess:

Example: I open Chrome\File Explorer or whatever on my secondary monitor and close it. When I try to open a new one on any monitor it would open it at the LAST KNOW LOCATION of where I closed it.

This is very annoying when you use "Virtual Desktop" "Multiple Monitor" If I open an application I expect it to open where I launch it from(Monitor,Virtual Desktop etc).

-----

How can you have ALL applications start from where you actually start them from?

:)

BBen79, Oct 23, 2015

2. Windows 10 PC - Applications do not open on the monitor I click their shortcuts on.

This is driving me and my colleagues nuts. We are all using Windows 10 and we all have the same setup, a laptop connected to two 28" UHD monitors (extended desktop) and the taskbars are showing on all screens. If we go to the Windows start button on the
    taskbar and use that to open an application, the application opens on a different screen than the one we used to start the app. The same goes for desktop shortcuts. A desktop shortcut could be on one monitor but when you click on it to open the app, the
    app opens on another monitor!

How can you open the application on the monitor that you used to open the application? And how the heck does it choose which monitor to open on because it doesn't always open on the primary monitor and it doesn't always open on the monitor the app was closed??

The monitor that you used to open the app should be the monitor the app opens on!

John_Mihalko, Oct 23, 2015
  3. Pin To Taskbar with multiple monitors does not work - can only pin to primary monitor

Hi Navneet,

I performed the steps with no errors and rebooted. Results are the same.

Perhaps I should try to clarify the issue a bit.

Current setup:

- Windows 10 Pro with Quad monitor setup

* Xeon E3-1276 @3,60GHz, 20GB RAM

* Dual nVidia Quadro K620 video cards (4 monitors)

- Under Taskbar and Start Menu Properties, I have the following setting:

* Show taskbar on all displays

* Show taskbar buttons on: Taskbar where window is open

* Buttons on other taskbars: Always combine, hide labels

I will use IE as the example here. By default, IE is pinned to the taskbar on the primary monitor/display.

On the primary monitor taskbar, if you right-click on IE the option "Unpin this program from the taskbar" is present.

Likewise, if I unpin IE from here (primary monitor) and re-open IE, I can right-click on the taskbar icon and select "Pin this program to the taskbar".

If IE is pinned to the taskbar and I move the open IE window to another monitor, here is what happens:

The IE taskbar icon is now present on BOTH the primary monitor and secondary monitor, even though the IE window is open only on the secondary monitor.

When right-click on the IE icon in the secondary monitor, there are no unpin or pin options available - those options are present ONLY on the primary monitor.

If you close and reopen IE from the primary monitor taskbar icon, it will reopen to the monitor it was last on (secondary in this example), but that is not the issue for me; taskbar icon location is the problem.

Similarly, if any application is opened on another screen, it must be move to the primary monitor to be able to pin it to the taskbar.

This was not the case in Windows 8.x - applications could be pinned to any (specific) monitor taskbar and appeared only on the monitor to which it was pinned.

So if I have, say, 20 taskbar items pinned - I cannot have 5 on each respective monitor;

they can only be "pinned" to the primary monitor, thus filling the taskbar. Far from ideal...

Evan Leonard, Oct 23, 2015
  4. OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar)

For one if you have the Start menu displayed on both monitors you are seeing the mirror effect in control where everything on one display appears on the other! The right click Start/Task bar properties is where to go if you don't have any 3rd party program like UltraMON or DisplyFusion to work with. Even with the Smart taskbar option in either of those two 3rd party apps the 10 extended task bar setting will push those aside where you have to have that disabled in either program.

OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar) [​IMG]

Besides the typical how to autohide the Task bar option pointed to in the image there you will note how the other Show taskbar on all displays box is checked off but the "Show taskbar buttons on" setting is set for Taskbar where window is open.

Night Hawk, Oct 23, 2015
Thema:

OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar)

1. OPEN Applications of the monitor i start them from (Using the taskbar) - Similar Threads - OPEN Applications monitor

2. Unable to open applications with are on taskbar if the application is open with 2 or more...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open applications with are on taskbar if the application is open with 2 or more...: Hi,This is Surya, A Tech Support Engineer .I am facing an issue with the new update of windows 11 to one of my colleague laptop, When we are trying to open any application with have open with 2 windows or pages or 2 task the application can not be able to open from the task...
  3. Unable to open applications with are on taskbar if the application is open with 2 or more...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open applications with are on taskbar if the application is open with 2 or more...: Hi,This is Surya, A Tech Support Engineer .I am facing an issue with the new update of windows 11 to one of my colleague laptop, When we are trying to open any application with have open with 2 windows or pages or 2 task the application can not be able to open from the task...
  4. Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Apps will not open from start menu or taskbar: Hello, I am running windows 10 and when I open the start menu to search for a program, it will not open. When I click an app or file from within the menu, it says the following: "The item you selected is unavailable. I might have been moved, renamed, or removed..."...
  5. Applications won't open from taskbar

in Windows 10 Customization
    Applications won't open from taskbar: There 2 problems that I'm facing after reinstalling windows 10. 1. some app can't be pinned to taskbar 2. some app can't be opened from taskbar, a message as below will show up when I click on the icon: [ATTACH]...
  6. Trouble with Opening Applications using start menu

Trouble with Opening Applications using start menu: [ATTACH] Things I tried 1. running the chkdsk, scansfc and hesm restore health commands 2. taking permission of the folder as everyone problems noticed 1. the error comes only when running the application in administrator privileges and the message with comes as do...
  7. Trouble with Opening Applications using start menu

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Trouble with Opening Applications using start menu: I am having trouble opening apps using the start menu It shows a error message [ATTACH] I have noticed 2 things The error message only comes when I run the program as admin and it also asks that do you want to run it 2 times rather than 1 The apps which are not opening...
  8. Many applications close/crash as soon as I open them

Many applications close/crash as soon as I open them: writing this on my phone. as the title says, lots of applications I try to open including: chrome, word, firefox, and the search bar all close as soon as I try to open them. Trying to open it too many times will cause my laptop to crash saying kernel security check error....
  9. Open app on same monitor that I used Start Menu to open the app.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open app on same monitor that I used Start Menu to open the app.: Right now Windows remembers the monitor that you last shutdown the program in, and when you reopen the app, it reopens it in that same position. HOWEVER, nowadays, I use web apps which all run in a browser. That means I have 4 different browser windows open across 2 or 3...
  10. Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications

Using taskbar icons to switch between open applications: I have been using Windows 10 successfully on my HP laptop since I bought it, and in particular clicking on the taskbar icons to switch between open applications. Sometime yesterday evening, for no apparent reason, this facility has ceased to work. Having found previous...