Windows 10: "Open" command in Context Menu on EXE files Showing Wrong

Discus and support "Open" command in Context Menu on EXE files Showing Wrong in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Dear All, I made a mistake with registry editing because I thought that some files were not opening. Fortunately, it turned out okay, but this has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JohnShip, Jun 14, 2019.

1. JohnShip Win User

"Open" command in Context Menu on EXE files Showing Wrong

Dear All,

I made a mistake with registry editing because I thought that some files were not opening. Fortunately, it turned out okay, but this has left me with a strange problem. Whilst opening EXE files, the context menu displays the code "%1" %1, which I remember from the regedit (which I have restored to the defaults, I hope).

This only seems to affect EXE files and shortcuts to EXEs, and they still open (thankfully), but the absence of the "open" is disconcerting me quite a lot. Is there a way the original "open" can be restored?

Thanks in advance!

"Open" command in Context Menu on EXE files Showing Wrong [​IMG]

:)

JohnShip, Jun 14, 2019
  2. Cuzza Win User

Change target of "Edit" command in context menus

@ Oily, thanks but that's not what I'm trying to do here. I wanted the "Edit" context menu command to open a different program to what the file is usually associated with; the Default Programs dialog doesn't allow that.

Cuzza, Jun 14, 2019
  3. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown "Open" command in Context Menu on EXE files Showing Wrong :(

ArmoredCavalry, Jun 14, 2019
  4. heartog Win User

"Open With" context Menu slow to load

Hi all,

so when i right click on the file and point to the "open with" menu, it should show the list of programs that the file could be opened. Every time after a restart the "open with" menu would take like 3 seconds to load, and after that first load, it would show the list right away. This not only happens when i restart my pc, but also when I haven't opened a file with the "open with" menu for like 1 or 2 hours and it will lag for like 3 seconds again for it to show the list of programs that it could be opened with.

I've already tried programs like Autoruns, ShellExView and disabling those context menu would now help either. Also, I deleted the unnecessary programs from the open with list through the registry already and it still doesn't help.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks.

heartog, Jun 14, 2019
Thema:

1. "Open" command in Context Menu on EXE files Showing Wrong - Similar Threads - Open command Context

2. "Open with" from the context menu not showing all options to open file particularly a .blg...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open with" from the context menu not showing all options to open file particularly a .blg...: So, a user was upgraded to a new PC with Windows 11 they had a device with Windows 10 previously. This user has to use several versions of the same modeling software for .blg files. On the user's old machine, they were able to use the context menu to select the version of...
  3. Open VBS file with admin command prompt context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open VBS file with admin command prompt context menu: @Brink VBS files have, by default, a context menu to Open with command prompt. I would like to add an additional option to Open with command prompt as admin. The command to open VBS files, standard privileges, is something like Code: cmd.exe...
  4. What is this context menu command?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is this context menu command?: Today I noticed a command I've never seen before in the context menu. In Brazilian Portuguese it reads Liberar espao, which means "Free up space". ▼ [img] I tried to identify it using ShellMenuView, but it didn't find any menu name with "Liberar", "espao", "free", and...
  5. Program not showing up in 'Open With' context menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program not showing up in 'Open With' context menu: I tried this a few months ago and failed after a lot of tweaking in the regedit. Probably this guide Remove Programs from Open with Context Menu in Windows and some other where it said how to add. I gave up. Now I have a new computer with a fresh Windows 10, and is at it...
  6. 'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Open With' in context menu crashes File Explorer: I have also lost all thumbnail previews for images. I have tried a bunch of things i found on the internet but none have worked. I did recently uninstall a few programs i no longer use. One of them caused an error preventing me from doing a system restore. I reinstalled the...
  7. Add "Run As TrustedInstaller" to the Context Menu for exes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add "Run As TrustedInstaller" to the Context Menu for exes: I have NSudo installed and have already replaced the task manager in my task bar with a command that runs it as System but with TITrustedInstaller privileges. The question I have is how do I do what I have in the subject using regedit myself, rather than using a third-party...
  8. Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...

in Windows 10 Support
    Open Elevated Command Prompt via Context Menu ...: ... as the post title. My search here only found a tutorial for a 'standard' command prompt. -thx 167608
  9. Show files extension toogle in context menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Show files extension toogle in context menu: I wish I've had the option for toggle hide/show files extension by simply push left SHIFT for extended menu anywhere on empty space in a folder or desktop, and choosing it from there, rather than doing it by folder options or the explorer drop down menu with all extra...
  10. How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.: I have a few file extensions where the 'Open with' option is not working. When I right click on these extensions I get an 'Open with' option with an arrow that just produces another 'Open with' instead of a list of other programs that can open the particular file extension....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. wrong entry in my pc context menu