Windows 10: Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item

Discus and support Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After the latest feature update to my Win 10, if I right click on any desktop icon and try and open the app with the Open command, there is no... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by LenW54, Jun 25, 2020.

1. LenW54 Win User

Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item

After the latest feature update to my Win 10, if I right click on any desktop icon and try and open the app with the Open command, there is no response. I can still open the app with a double mouse click. Some setting seems to have changed with the upgrade?

:)

LenW54, Jun 25, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jun 25, 2020
  3. wihe2 Win User
    Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu

Andre,

I successfully created a new administrator account per your instructions. I accessed the desktop and the problem remains. I cannot open some desktop shortcuts and the same list of start menu items in the original post.

Regards,

Will

wihe2, Jun 25, 2020
  4. Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item

opening icons on desktop

Hello Evaine,

We still can't identify the possible causes of this desktop icon issues you're experiencing. To get a closer look at the root cause, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are you also experiencing the same issue when clicking any icons on the Start menu?
    • Does the issue still the same when using another mouse? How about using your mouse on another computer?
    • Is it also possible to send us a screenshot when the white square box appears after you double click the desktop icon?
    • Have you also tried performing a hardware troubleshooter? If you still haven't, just follow the steps below:

Hardware Troubleshoot

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. We would suggest that you run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your mouse.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel
    • Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter

We look forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item

1. Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item - Similar Threads - Open desktop icon

2. Right click menu keep opening on there own

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Right click menu keep opening on there own: Recently My Microsft Edge started opening right click menus without right clicking It is very annoying You can be typing and when the menu pop you no longer can type/. Almost to the point of getting rid of Edge...
  3. Right click menu keep opening on there own

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Right click menu keep opening on there own: Recently My Microsft Edge started opening right click menus without right clicking It is very annoying You can be typing and when the menu pop you no longer can type/. Almost to the point of getting rid of Edge...
  4. Right click menu keep opening on there own

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Unable to open certain settings using the "right-click menu" in desktop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to open certain settings using the "right-click menu" in desktop: Hello! I recently stumbled upon a problem. I can't use certain settings on Windows such as right-clicking in my desktop and clicking the "Personalize" option. Whenever I click on it, the command prompt appears for a brief second. Sometimes it opens up and closes...
  6. Unable to open certain settings using the “right-click menu” in desktop

Unable to open certain settings using the “right-click menu” in desktop: I recently stumbled upon a problem. I can't use specific settings on Windows such as right-clicking in my desktop and clicking the "Personalize" option. Whenever I click on it, the command prompt appears for a brief second. Sometimes it opens up and closes immediately, but...
  7. Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu

Some items will not open when right-clicking start menu: The following will no longer open from right-clicking on the Start Menu button: Task Manager Event Viewer Device manager Disk Manager Computer Manager Command Prompt Command Prompt Admin File Explorer All others will open. Also some desktop icon will only open by...
  8. Items on desktop will not open on left click

Items on desktop will not open on left click: Items on desktop will not open on left click, must right click and select OPEN. Same probl;em on multiple PCs, began all at once on all PCs. Same problems on Windows Live Mail --- clicking on an email will not open it. Also on other apps, for example, trying to open a file...
  9. Right click does not open menu properly

Right click does not open menu properly: I have a window server 2016. when I right click on an icon or on the desk top, the menu sometimes opens with only a couple of items, sometimes it is only a vertical line, sometimes it is a blank box. any suggestion? thank you...
  10. Pressing enter opens right click menu

Pressing enter opens right click menu: For some reason, it just happened randomly, every time I press the enter key on any software I'm on, it opens up a menu that should only open when I right click. This happens on word, google chrome, discord. I'm very confused as to how to fix this...