Windows 10: open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695)

Discus and support open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This happens anytime I select the context menu item "open file location" for a start menu shortcut. Tried several suggestions that were posted for... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BadBernie, Feb 2, 2020.

1. BadBernie Win User

open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695)

This happens anytime I select the context menu item "open file location" for a start menu shortcut. Tried several suggestions that were posted for file/folder location problems including sfc, dism, registry but no luck. The error popup is from runtimebroker.exe, but searches for the exe name and error code came up dry here, on google, and in other places.
    Same failure occurs when selecting the show-in-folder item when right-clicking in the edge browser's downloads list.
    However, open file location for all desktop shortcuts gives expected result (no errors). The right folder opens in windows explorer.
    This problem only started happening about a year ago on my desktop (Dell Vostro 220), but has never happened, even now, on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1545). Both are running Win 10 v1909 build 18363.628. installed from the same media, regularly updated together, and running the same way for 3 years now. I have not been able to determine any changes that were made to the desktop system (or the laptop). It is certainly not disabling, but it is irritating, because a weird problem in one place is often found to be related to a hidden problem elsewhere..
    I have not found this error reported after doing dozens of searches. Anybody else seeing this?
    Maybe my creativity for composing searches is weakening along with several other intellectual capabilities as I approach my 80th birthday.

:)

BadBernie, Feb 2, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

Open file location is missing in pinned apps

No, that's not the sort of 'file location' the OP is referring to. Your 'file location' opens File Explorer at the location of the shortcut for that app in the Start Menu's Programs folder. The OP wants the list of recently opened files, or the Jump List as it is known (hover over each one and it shows its file location). Theirs is turned off (and yours by the looks of it).

open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695) [​IMG]

Bree, Feb 2, 2020
  3. mystvearn Win User
    Open file location is missing in pinned apps

Yes. This is the one. Weirdly it now shows all the recent files after update. Maybe that has something to do with it. I did not do anything at all.

Thank you again. I guess the problem is solved.

mystvearn, Feb 2, 2020
  4. open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695)

Location of File Explorer's pinned shortcuts in Taskbar

I am looking for the location of the list of
    pinned File Explorer shortcuts on the Taskbar. When any of the pinned Taskbar programs are right-clicked, a list of "Recent" items appears. If any of those are pinned, a list above "Recent" appears called "Pinned". I am looking for the
    location of those Pinned files wherever it may be located. The reason for this is I want to make sure that list is transferred from one PC to another, whether it be W7 to W10 or W10 to W10. The image below is what I am working with on my PC. I want to know
    where Softball, User_scripts, Active Projects, Script_Logs, Dropbox and Install shortcuts are located, not where they go to.

open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695) 52d751a4-6650-4b31-a6b7-33f04cdb5541?upload=true.jpg

DaroldMergens, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695)

1. open-file-location for pinned shortcuts: file system error(-214492695) - Similar Threads - open file location

2. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  3. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  4. Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu: Hi, I am a newbie in software development. I was learning a few languages and installed some IDEs on my system. But then the context menu options "Open in Visual Studio", "Edit in Pycharm..." started frustrating me so I used Regedit and added Extended into some of the keys I...
  5. Open File Location?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open File Location?: I've had Win 10 for a few months now and one thing I'd like to change is, when I do a Start button Search, and R click a result, I don't see the option to Open File Location. can I enable this somehow??...
  6. Location of File Explorer's pinned shortcuts in Taskbar

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Location of File Explorer's pinned shortcuts in Taskbar: I am looking for the location of the list of pinned File Explorer shortcuts on the Taskbar. When any of the pinned Taskbar programs are right-clicked, a list of "Recent" items appears. If any of those are pinned, a list above "Recent" appears called "Pinned". I am looking...
  7. "File System Error" on opening Image files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "File System Error" on opening Image files: Hi, I am using Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. I encounter a problem recently that when I open any image file, Photos app opens and closes with a flash and showing this error on all kind of pictures. [ATTACH] One change I have observed it that a new app auto installed...
  8. Open file location is missing in pinned apps

in Windows 10 Support
    Open file location is missing in pinned apps: Hi, In windows 7, when I pin word for example, I can view the recent files and pinned files. When I right-click the file in Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit, I could not find it for windows 10. I downloaded the registry file from this forum link but does not solve the...
  9. Desktop shortcuts not locating files

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcuts not locating files: I have a number of shortcuts on my desktop that when double-clicked respond with not finding the file using the path displayed. I have even gone to the file that the desktop points to and double-clicked it - with the same result. This has only started with W10 upgrade....
  10. Open file location

in Windows 10 Support
    Open file location: When I select "Open file location" it opens the program folder. EDIT: The issue may be that I used "ProgramLocation\ProgramName" "FileLocation\FileName" to open the file because it is Excel and this prevents it opening in the same instance. EDIT 2: That is the problem,...