Windows 10: Open folder window at same position every time

Discus and support Open folder window at same position every time in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello! Whenever I open a folder and position it on desktop whereI want it to be, after closing and reopening it again, it repositions. With a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by orbisromanus, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Open folder window at same position every time

Hello!

Whenever I open a folder and position it on desktop whereI want it to be, after closing and reopening it again, it repositions. With a few opening-closings I realized that every time I open the folder anew, it gets repositioned a bit lower, diagonally. This wasn't happening on Windows 8.1. Is there any way to keep the folder in the same position every time I open it? Thank you in regard.

:)

orbisromanus, Aug 1, 2015

2. Windows 10 - Default Window size

Everytime I open an application, it doesn't open with the window in the maximised position. It's frustrating to have to click the maximise button every time. How do I fix this so all my applications and folders open in a maximised size?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

Lyonel1972, Aug 1, 2015
  3. Can I set an app (e.g. Microsoft Weather) as my start up and/or home page?

Sure, try this:

• Press Windows+R to open the Run box.
    • Type shell:startup and click OK to open your Startup folder. Position it at the top-right of your screen.
    • Open your Start menu, and drag-drop the Weather shortcut/tile into the Startup folder.

Now every time you login, the Weather app will open by itself.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 1, 2015
  4. Banzi Win User

Open folder window at same position every time

Hi,

I had the same issue & posted about it here, Edwin replied & said it is most likely due to the virtual desktops. I don't use them but it annoyed me so much I reverted back to win 8.1

Banzi, Aug 2, 2015
  5. Hi, thank you for answering!

Can you tell me how do I revert back to 8.1? I'm thinking about doing the same.

orbisromanus, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Banzi Win User
    Your welcome *Smile

To roll back open settings & click recovery in the left pane, on the right pane you should have the roll back to windows 8.1, click that & follow the steps. Note this will only work if you still have the Windows.old folder in the root of your C drive. If you have run Disk Cleanup in windows 10 & told it to delete your old installation then you would need to install windows 8.1 again.

The rollback when fine on mine but I then restored the backup I made with macrium reflect free just before the upgrade to be on the safe side.

You can always try the upgrade again at a later date to see if MS have fixed the issue. It bugged me a lot but then I'm a bit OCD *chuckle

Good luck *Smile

Banzi, Aug 3, 2015
  7. Did it! Thanks again *Biggrin

orbisromanus, Aug 3, 2015
  8. Jeff MSFT Win User

Hi All, Microsoft is aware of this issue and has a team working on it. I don't have an ETA for a fix, but those involved agree this experience needs improvement. Thanks for the post.

Jeff

Jeff MSFT, Aug 5, 2015
  9. Win 10 Home also does NOT remember the size of the window when you reopen it!

And, I can not find out how to personalize the windows as I did in Win 3.1, XP, and Win 7. I'm talking about specifying window border colors, menu fonts and sizes, header colors and fonts, scroll bar colors, etc.

Florida Rene, Aug 5, 2015
  10. Banzi Win User
    Hi Jeff,

It looks like you might be from Microsoft, if so welcome to the forums & I hope you will be regular visitor & poster. This place is the best windows 10 forum out there & it would be good if someone from Microsoft was here to help out & report issues back.

Once the explorer window placement is fixed I would gladly upgrade to 10 again.

Banzi, Aug 5, 2015
  11. Banzi Win User
    Just to update the thread, I upgraded again to windows 10 then did a clean install & the issue was still there. I have noticed that if I move the taskbar to the top of the screen it seems to stop the random placement of explorer windows when opened & then closed & opened again.

Banzi, Aug 7, 2015
  12. Genopsyde Win User

Genopsyde, Aug 17, 2015
  13. larc919 Win User

Some serious work is also needed in allowable resizing for folder windows. Make one too narrow and it crashes with each attempt to open it. My desktop setup has included subject folders with shortcut icons through several versions of Windows. I've been setting folders to accommodate 4 icons across. Windows 8.1 and previous versions were very happy with that arrangement. It results in a fatality in 10. Once folder windows won't open, the width can't be corrected to stop the crashing.

larc919, Aug 17, 2015
  14. bluemoon Win User
    Do you know what REALLY baffles me?

How is it that not one single member of the Microsoft development team or beta testers noticed this???

bluemoon, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Open folder window at same position every time - Similar Threads - Open folder window

2. same folder shows different content at the same time!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    same folder shows different content at the same time!: Hi thereTL;DR: the attached screenshot is from the same folder, accessed from quick access vs roottoday I accidentally faced this issue. I was looking for my Xbox recordings folder to send an educational video to my friend. I was unable to find that under my user's folder, so...
  3. same folder shows different content at the same time!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    same folder shows different content at the same time!: Hi thereTL;DR: the attached screenshot is from the same folder, accessed from quick access vs roottoday I accidentally faced this issue. I was looking for my Xbox recordings folder to send an educational video to my friend. I was unable to find that under my user's folder, so...
  4. Every time that I come back to Windows the windows loses their position and size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Every time that I come back to Windows the windows loses their position and size: I use a single 4K display with windows separated through it, and every time that the screen turns off, when I turn it back on again, all the windows are on the top left of the screen and diminished. I use a DisplayPort cable. Can I stop this from happening? submitted by...
  5. Open and close programs at the same time

Open and close programs at the same time: I want two programs to open and close 2 programs automaticly. Is there a way I can do this and how?? submitted by /u/CaptainKeanu1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fr6uqh/open_and_close_programs_at_the_same_time/
  6. How do I start programs at the same position every time?

How do I start programs at the same position every time?: I have several standard apps that I launch every time I am on my PC, e.g. Whatsapp or Spotify and every time I have to adjust their position. I usually dock these to the right side by dragging them there. Isn't there an option to have them at the same position or even the...
  7. Windows 10: Force Program to Open in Same Monitor Every Time

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: Force Program to Open in Same Monitor Every Time: I know similar questions have been asked. I'm curious as to why Windows 10 has a hard problem with this as not all programs will stay in the same monitor after dragging the program to the selected monitor, "restore down" and close the program. It works for "some" programs,...
  8. Windows 10: Open Windows at Same Position and Dimensions as Last Opened

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10: Open Windows at Same Position and Dimensions as Last Opened: How do I get Windows 10 to open windows at the same position and dimensions as the last opened position and dimensions? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-open-windows-at-same-position-and/953459fd-5af5-4dd9-a03c-295f94d4dfa7
  9. Window duality: open and not open at the same time. Where is it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Window duality: open and not open at the same time. Where is it?: I have a Chrome browser window open and it in turn has a window open to allow me to upload a file. I clicked open and it sort of went away and sort of didn't. Please try watching the brief clip below and then put that situation into words because it defies me. Is the file...
  10. Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer opens a new window every time I double-click a folder: Hello Tenforums! First I'd like you to thank you for all the times you've helped a frusterated little guy with his PC-problems - even thought I never registrered, I've been here quite some times. The problem Anyways, on to the problem. As the title states; every time I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 - reopen folder window at same size and position