Windows 10: Open link as new window in Edge

Discus and support Open link as new window in Edge in Browsers and Email to solve the problem; In IE, there was a setting to open links (e.g., ones selected by shift-clicking, or ones with a target attribute in the anchor tag) into a new window... Discussion in 'Browsers and Email' started by RobBroekhuis, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Open link as new window in Edge

In IE, there was a setting to open links (e.g., ones selected by shift-clicking, or ones with a target attribute in the anchor tag) into a new window instead of a new tab. I can't find a way to do this in Edge - in general, the number of user-adjustable settings seems to be MUCH smaller in Edge. Is there a way?
    Rob

:)

RobBroekhuis, Sep 18, 2015

2. How can I get every link to open in a new window

I had one last setting on Always open pop-ups in new tab instead of Always open pop-ups in new window selected... once I changed that, all my links now open in new windows, as I prefer.

Thank you for trying to help!

stevegiardina, Sep 18, 2015
  3. How can I get every link to open in a new window

Hi,

press the Control key (ctrl) while you click on a link in a search page results page or any other web page. Web site programmers decide how links on their sites open tabs/windows on web browsers. All web browsers allow the ctrl+click shortcut to open the
    link address in a new tab/window.

Links on web pages can also be 'scripted' .... that is they tell the browser what size to make the opened tab/window... IE has Security restrictions and a built-in popup blocker that can change the outcome of scripted links.

1. Please include links to any web pages that you are having problems with your questions.

2. Ensure that you are using the default IE security zone settings.... Internet Options>Security tab, click "Reset all zones to default"

3. Tools>Popup blocker settings... to adjust your IE built-in popup blocker settings.

Some Addons, like the Google toolbar have their own popup blocker, which can affect how links on some web pages open.... you don't need 2. To avoid confusion turn off any third-party popup blocker or better still uninstall any third-party addons in your
    browsers.

Regards.

IECUSTOMIZER, Sep 18, 2015
  4. Dude Win User

Open link as new window in Edge

Use Ctrl+N to open a new window RobBroekhuis, or right click the link to open in a new window

Open link as new window in Edge [​IMG]

5. Edwin New Member
    The easiest and quickest way, (for mouse), is to wheel-click the link or bookmark to open in a new tab then just drag the tab and drop in the middle of nowhere.

Edge is still full of glitches though. One thing I found is if you close the 'parent' window, all other windows will close as well!

Edwin, Sep 18, 2015
  6. Dude Win User
  7. Thanks for the replies. So if I understand correctly, there is no way to just tell Edge to open them to new windows as a default? I can do the other methods, but they all involve some more work - trivial, yes, but I do it a lot, so I would like it to happen automatically.

RobBroekhuis, Sep 18, 2015
  8. Dude Win User

I agree, I hope they add that option soon.

Dude, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Open link as new window in Edge - Similar Threads - Open link window

2. How to stop Edge opening for links

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to stop Edge opening for links: My default browser is Chrome. Edge has now started opening when I click on links external to Chrome. I cannot change it through Default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-edge-opening-for-links/26420b2d-416b-4089-9dcc-de88419ee009
  3. How to stop Edge opening for links

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to stop Edge opening for links: My default browser is Chrome. Edge has now started opening when I click on links external to Chrome. I cannot change it through Default settings. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-stop-edge-opening-for-links/26420b2d-416b-4089-9dcc-de88419ee009
  4. Microsoft Edge Kiosk - Open Links in New Window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Edge Kiosk - Open Links in New Window: Hi I'm setting up Edge to replace internet explorer as our go to Kiosk solution.We have a particular website that we load in full screen, we remove tabs and the ability to "escape" from the website rendered in full screen.Usually people browse this site, there are links on...
  5. Microsoft Edge Kiosk - Open Links in New Window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Edge Kiosk - Open Links in New Window: Hi I'm setting up Edge to replace internet explorer as our go to Kiosk solution.We have a particular website that we load in full screen, we remove tabs and the ability to "escape" from the website rendered in full screen.Usually people browse this site, there are links on...
  6. Stop edge from opening new tabs from search links?

in Browsers and Email
    Stop edge from opening new tabs from search links?: Chrome does not do that. Problem is, you do a search, and click on a search link, it opens a new tab, and leaves the bing seach tab open. And after a while, you can have very many Bing search tabs open - - - Updated - - - In the left pane, click on the Pop-ups and Redirects...
  7. Microsoft Edge - Link Opens In Same Tab/Force Browser To Open New Tab

in Browsers and Email
    Microsoft Edge - Link Opens In Same Tab/Force Browser To Open New Tab: Hello, I can not find a solution to this and I was hoping someone would know the answer. I have users in my company that are complaining about a URL link opening in the same tab. This causes what they were working on to be erased. Let me provide more detail: These users are...
  8. Open "edge://surf" on the new Edge

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Open "edge://surf" on the new Edge: Game submitted by /u/oneberto [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/g9l57r/open_edgesurf_on_the_new_edge/
  9. How to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab.

in Browsers and Email
    How to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab.: There seems no way to click a link in Edge and have it open in a new open tab. It either opens in the existing tab or creates a new closed tab, depending on which mouse button you use. 13145
  10. Open Pin to Start links in new Edge window instead of tab

in Browsers and Email
    Open Pin to Start links in new Edge window instead of tab: I have a lot of Web Page applications that I use for my job. For each webpage I do a "Pin to Start" which creates a quick link from the start menu. With IE each of these links would open in a new window, but with Edge they open in a new tab on the existing Edge window....