Windows 10: Open Outlook Attachment With...

Discus and support Open Outlook Attachment With... in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Win10 1909. If I receive a JPEG attached to an Outlook 2019 email I click to open it... [img] Problem is that this selection does not persist in... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Pollensa1946, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Open Outlook Attachment With...

Win10 1909. If I receive a JPEG attached to an Outlook 2019 email I click to open it...

Open Outlook Attachment With... [​IMG]

Problem is that this selection does not persist in Outlook, the next time I open a JPEG attachment I again get this selection window. The setting persists for all other situations where I open a JPEG (from File Explorer for example). How can I make this persist for a file type sent as an attachment?

- - - Updated - - -

A little more investigation shows that, strangely, JPEG (.jpg) files are the only attachment that behave in this way. Other file types (.pdf for example) always open immediately in the assigned program.

:)

Pollensa1946, Jan 12, 2020

2. will not open attachment in an email

Hi Dave,

There are some factors that we need to consider regarding your concern about opening email attachments. To properly diagnose this issue, we would like to know more about the issue by asking the following questions below:

• How do you access your Email?
    • If you are using a browser, have you tried using a different browser?
    • Have you also tried to clear the cache and cookies of your browsers?
    • What is the last action taken before this issue happens?

If you are using an Outlook application to open emails, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this

article
    . You can follow the steps provided in the issue #1.

Let us know the result if you need further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Jan 12, 2020
  3. CMOORE100 Win User
    How to stop Win 10 with Outlook sending attachments as Winmail.dat

WIN 10 (64 bit) with OUTLOOK 2016 send E-Mails which some recipients are unable to open or read.

The problem most commonly encountered, to judge from many internet pleas for help, is that normal e-mail messages are sent and received satisfactorily but attachments – whatever their file extensions – are sometimes apparently not sent or not openable. There are also reports that some e-mail main texts are apparently not sent or not openable. This note is based specifically on WIN 10(64) plus OUTLOOK 2016, but my extensive reading for a solution has revealed that other WIN / OUTLOOK issue combinations also give rise to the same or similar problem. It may therefore well be possible that the following actions will also be of assistance with these.
    The root problem is that OUTLOOK sometimes encodes messages and/or attachments as WINMAIL.dat files and sends these. Many non-MS mail programs can not recognise and/or open these. WINMAIL.dat is a format used in times past for sending Rich Text Format (RTF) messages. I am uncertain why MS persists with this heritage I have found in limited testing that some ISPs seem to receive OUTLOOK attachments OK (because these are sent as their original files with “normal” extensions) whereas another ISP appears to prompt their conversion to WINMAIL.dat and then can not open them. I have, by the way, eliminated any possibility that the problem stems from my receiving computer. My accounts are of the “web based” type and I can open my E-mail boxes by web access direct to the ISP.
    My testing (not comprehensive) has shown that when OUTLOOK is used to send attachments to a Gmail.com account they are received OK but when the exact same attachments are sent to a BTInternet.com they are received as WINMAIL.dat encoded files. It is thus doubly unsatisfactory in that one can not rely on the receipt of attachments sometimes, but not always.
    Here are the 3 steps I took :- 1.. Modify the registry to inhibit generation of Winmail.dat files. To do this a.. Open program REGEDIT (Windows key plus R) b.. Go to Computer/ HKEY_CURRENT_USER/ SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Office/16.0/Outlook/Preferences c.. Create a new DWORD(32bit) called Disable TNEF
    d.. Enter a value of 1 ie.0x00000001 (1) e.. Exit Regedit 2.. Set up OUTLOOK so as NOT to send messages in RTF format. a.. Open OUTLOOK b.. At top left SLCk the blue FILE tab. File page opens.
    c.. In list at LHS SLCk OPTIONS. d.. From OPTIONS find and SLCk MAIL. e.. In MAIL option scroll down to COMPOSE MESSAGES f.. Find CHANGE EDITING SETTINGS g.. Select PLAIN TEXT format option in box. (HTML option may also be OK but RICH TEXT FORMAT – RTF – must NOT be selected). h.. Close the MAIL options page(s).
    3.. Set up OUTLOOK not to auto-complete addressees and empty the auto complete cache. a.. Open OUTLOOK b.. At top left SLCk the blue FILE tab. File page opens. c.. In list at LHS SLCk OPTIONS. d.. From OPTIONS find and SLCk MAIL. e.. In MAIL option scroll down to COMPOSE MESSAGES
    f.. Select SEND MESSAGES section. g. UNCHECK box labelled “Use auto complete list to suggest names when typing To/cc/bcc lines”. h.. Find and SLCk the “Empty auto complete list” i.. SLCk YES in response to “ARE YOU SURE” pop-up box j.. There is no apparent response to step i. k.. Close OUTLOOK mail option page(s). l.. For good measure re-start the PC.

Notes : i.. At step 3e with OUTLOOK 2013 scroll to SENDING MESSAGES section. ii.. In OUTLOOK 2003 and 2007 for procedure section 2 : iia.. Access OPTIONS from the tools menu iib.. Click MAIL FORMAT tab iic.. Click INTERNET FORMAT iid. Under Outlook Rich Text Options click either Convert to HTML format or Convert to Plain Text format. Get rid of any reference to RTF.
    iii. This note is written based on Win 10(64bit) plus Outlook 2016. Other OS/Outlook versions may vary in function and detail.
    iv.. Some versions of OUTLOOK provide for the message sending format to be varied between addressees in the address book. To check for this each address book entry needs to be examined from its PROPERTIES values. These should be opened and set to HTML or PLAIN TEXT and never RTF (or TNEF). v.. With my problem the solution was achieved after step 3. It appears that the auto-complete cache “remembers” previous settings and hence it needs to be deleted.
    vi.. Step 3 was the vital action and was kindly contributed by Caledon Ken at TEN FORUMS I will mark the thread as resolved after further evaluation, but am highly optimistic. .

CMOORE100, Jan 12, 2020
  4. Open Outlook Attachment With...

email attachments

Hello Allan,

To attach a document file on an email, you can follow the step given below:

For Windows 10 Mobile:

• Launch to File Explorer app.
    • Press and hold the file that you need to attach on the email, and select
      button.
    • Select Outlook Mail on the suggested applications.

For Windows Phone 8.1:

• Download and install
      Files
      app.
    • Launch Files app.
    • Tap and hold the document that you need to attach on the email, and select
      button.
    • Select the Mail app on the suggested applications.

Feel free to post back if you have other queries.

Timoteo IV Ofr, Jan 12, 2020
Thema:

Open Outlook Attachment With...

1. Open Outlook Attachment With... - Similar Threads - Open Outlook Attachment

2. Outlook - Email Attachments missing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook - Email Attachments missing.: Hey, I am facing an issue with Inbox emails with attachments. Some mails have attachments that just don't show up in my inbox on the outlook APP. These mails checked online on Gmail or Zoho mail show the attachments. The problem is not universal, since I have many...
  3. Outlook attachment virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Outlook attachment virus: How can I scan a PDF attachment in Outlook for a possible virus and/or malware? Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-attachment-virus/d4b6d915-c8cb-43c9-95b4-a561c1f972ad"
  4. Outlook will not open a PDF Attachement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Outlook will not open a PDF Attachement: I received mt E ticket via my Hotmail account but Outlook will not open the PDF attachment Air Canada sent via my hotmail account? I guess they are trying to force me to purchase the upgraded version!!!!!...
  5. Outlook webmail attachments autosaving instead of opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook webmail attachments autosaving instead of opening: I have a user that prefers the online version of Outlook even though we have the standalone module, he prefers to use it online. He gets Excel attachments every day that he needs to open and print- he doesn't need to save them to his desktop but it forces him to. This is the...
  6. Outlook 2016 - Attachment Bug?

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016 - Attachment Bug?: Hello All, I am using Outlook 2016 (part of Office 2016). Account type is Imap. On receipt of an email with attachment, if I reply to same email the paperclip symbol appears against the 'Sent email' when I did not attach anything? To test this I replied to an email with...
  7. Cannot open or preview Outlook attachments anymore

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot open or preview Outlook attachments anymore: Upgraded Win 7 Pro to Win 10 pro. Using Outlook 2013. Office attachments (word, excel etc...) can no longer be previewed or open directly from within the email. Now have to drag to desktop to open. Windows seems to report that the files are corrupt when attempting to open...
  8. Outlook 365 - Attachments not available when email opened

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 365 - Attachments not available when email opened: My wife's laptop on the same network as my PC and using the same version of Outlook 365 displays the paperclip indicating the message has an attached file. But when the message file is opened the attached file is no longer displayed (and available to be opened) above the...
  9. Does Outlook Security Update Mess with Opening Attachments?

Does Outlook Security Update Mess with Opening Attachments?: I thought I read an article this week that said one of the new Outlook or Office security updates prevents the opening of fairly standard attachments such as PDFs, etc. Has anyone one experienced this? I have 4 Office updates that need to be installed after reboot. I really...
  10. Unable to open attachment/appointment Office Outlook/calendar

Unable to open attachment/appointment Office Outlook/calendar: My client has Office outlook 2007 installed on his laptop running Windows 10. Upon receipt of an email the attachment goes to his calendar. Up until 7 days ago he was able to open the attachment/appointment directly from his calendar. The attachment/appointment is a .pdf...