Windows 10: open pdf files using Edge

Discus and support open pdf files using Edge in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I cannot open a PDF online. I am using Win 10 and Adobe Acrobat 9.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DrCTW, Oct 4, 2018.

1. DrCTW Win User

open pdf files using Edge

I cannot open a PDF online. I am using Win 10 and Adobe Acrobat 9.

:)

DrCTW, Oct 4, 2018

2. Trouble Opening PDF's

Hi Parker,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Does the issue persist in Edge browser?
    • Do you get similar error when you open the PDF file in Adobe reader?

Check if you are facing similar issue in Edge browser.

Step 1: Open PDF file in Adobe reader and check if you are facing similar issue.

To open PDF file directly from Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

• Open Adobe application and click on Edit.
    • Click on Preferences and select Internet.
    • Uncheck Display PDF in Browser option and check if you are able to open the PDF file without getting the error code.

Step 2: If you are able to open PDF file in Adobe reader, I suggest you to
    Turn off Internet Explorer,
    enable it again and check if the issue is resolved.

For further assistance, I suggest you to post your query in Adobe support forum.

https://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_reader_forums

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Oct 4, 2018
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    opening pdf file

Hi Kieran,

Right click a PDF file, choose 'Open With' - Choose Another App

Important - Check the box marked 'Always use this app to open PDF . . .'

If Edge is not in the list, scroll to the bottom and click 'More Apps'

Does Edge appear in that list?

If Edge will not open a PDF file for you, what error are you seeing when you try to open a PDF in Edge?

DaveM121, Oct 4, 2018
  4. open pdf files using Edge

Edge will not open PDF files

1st before answering please note these things have already been checked

• Edge has all its program defaults, already checked and verified
    • Edge is the default PDF handler, already verified
    • Edge cleared reset
    • reset IE11
    • Made sure IE11 has all it's defaults except is not the default browser, edge is
    Here is what happens, click a PDF, edge opens with a blank window

then IE 11 pops up asking of I want to save or open the file

Mind you the file is already on the hard drive

If you click save, of course it saves it, if you click OPEN, edge comes back, opens another blank tab and then IE 11 comes back asking to save the file.

If I right click the pdf file and choose open with, and pick IE11, it also asks to save but will not display the pdf doc

Any pdf doc

There are no error messages at all

The PC only has windows 10 installed, no adobe, no 3rd party apps etc

This happened apparently after the latest updates, no none MS induced changes have been done to the PC

Now, how does one fix this?

SherriannShelly, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

open pdf files using Edge

1. open pdf files using Edge - Similar Threads - open pdf files

2. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??: everytime i change the default Pdf viewer after couple of restart edge became again the main pdf viewer, how can i stop that ??thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-edge-to-open-pdf-files/305cdbe3-8e9b-4c88-9d49-48a90904b2eb
  3. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??: everytime i change the default Pdf viewer after couple of restart edge became again the main pdf viewer, how can i stop that ??thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-prevent-edge-to-open-pdf-files/305cdbe3-8e9b-4c88-9d49-48a90904b2eb
  4. how to prevent Edge to open Pdf files??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  6. Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Adobe *.pdf files open in MS Edge: How can I spot Adobe *.pdf files from opening in MS Edge? I have Adobe Acrobat installed but the default keeps changing back to MS Edge. Can this be fixed? Thanks....
  7. Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Edge keeps opening PDF files: Good day Supporti have problem with Edge keeps on hijacking my PDF, i have tried changing default app to adobe acrobat , but after a reboot edge becomes the default app. Please help ?Edge is up to date. Microsoft EdgeVersion 92.0.902.73 Official build 64-bitAcrobat reader is...
  8. Saving a PDF file opened in Edge

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Saving a PDF file opened in Edge: Until recently, a file opened in Edge could be saved by "right clicking", selecting "Save" and then saving to the target directory on Surface. Now the "Save" functionality is greyed out i.e. saving is not possible so you have to print to PDF which takes longer. Any idea...
  9. Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge)

in Windows 10 Support
    Suggestions to Open .PDF Files (Not Edge): My Windows 7 desktop came with Nuance pdf Reader installed. My Windows 10 default is Edge, but I don't like it and I use Internet Explorer 11 for a browser. Can you suggest a pdf Reader? Thanks, cb 119456
  10. microsoft edge keep opening PDF files

in Browsers and Email
    microsoft edge keep opening PDF files: Yes I have done that without joy still Microsoft Edge keeps hijacking my .pdf files. [img]

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Couldn’t open PDF Something’s keeping this PDF from opening.