Windows 10: Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss

Discus and support Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Came across a Windows 10 design/implementation bug today that simply should not have been possible. At this day and age the following experience really... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Scott Albrecht, May 2, 2022.

1. Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss

Came across a Windows 10 design/implementation bug today that simply should not have been possible. At this day and age the following experience really is quite inexcusable. Say what you want but in my book its not: period.I copied a number of important files from a USB drive to a windows folder on my desktop using Windows File Explorer and the Control-C / Control-X shortcut keys. I didn't do this in a single operation but more like create folder, rename, copy, repeat with the next USB folder, etc... At some point, I hit Control-Z to undo something else I was working on in parallel but in

:)

Scott Albrecht, May 2, 2022

2. Microsoft to Introduce Telemetry Data Viewer for Windows

Remember all that talk and noise regarding Microsoft's "automagical" telemetry data collection, and how that spurred the company to create a "telemetry-less" version of its Windows 10 operating system for the Chinese market? It seems Microsoft is keen to keep giving users more information on exactly what information is gathered and when - slowly but assuredly striving for greater transparency, and looking to garner increased trust from consumers and enterprises alike.

The much awaited capability is being baked in to the next major Windows 10 release, and Microsoft is giving Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer utility. Adding to this new utility are some changes to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard that will enable users to see and manage more data associated with their Microsoft accounts. Available to everyone in the Microsoft Store, the Diagnostic Data Viewer is separate from the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, and "allows you to see, search, and take action with your diagnostic data." It's not clear yet what sort of telemetry features users will be able to stop Microsoft from collecting, if any. However, at least now you'll be able to look at exactly which processes and services are collecting data form your system. The diagnostic data that will be viewable in the new utility follows.

Open Post To Microsoft:  Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss yDvisPRlBWJ8AKA6_thm.jpg

• Common Data, like the Operating System's name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
    • Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It's important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
    • Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
    Microsoft Privacy Dashboard
    Updates to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard include a new Activity History page, which aims to provide a clear and easy to navigate way to see the data that is saved with users' Microsoft accounts. The Microsoft Privacy Dashboard further allows users to manage their data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on their devices or browser at any time.

In the coming months, Microsoft will keep the slow roll-out of additional features that will allow users to:
    • View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
    • Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
    • Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control

Raevenlord, May 2, 2022
  3. Roohi_Taj Win User
    Windows 10 installation convert from MBR to GPT without data loss

Hi JKMG72,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I'll need a few more details to analyze your concern & provide an accurate solution:

1. Are you still facing the issue with Blue screen?
    2. Is the D drive a partition created within the same hard disk?

The problem might occur if the hard disk is failing. Hard disk can be corrupted because of hardware fault. If we have to convert the disk from MBR to GPT, there is high chance of Data loss. The conversion is possible only if there
    are no partitions or volumes present in the disk, which makes it impossible to convert without data loss.

If you wish to recover the data before the conversion, I would suggest you to follow the steps mentioned below.

Method 1: Backup data using Command prompt.

1. Attach the Installation media
      (USB/DVD which has windows 10) into the computer.
    2. Restart your PC, and then press any key to boot from the USB flash drive or the DVD.
    3. Click on Repair your computer.
    4. Select Troubleshoot > Click on Advance options.
    5. Select Command Prompt from the list.
    6. Type: Notepad.exe
    7. This will open the Notepad > Go to File >Select, Open > this will open the Windows explorer window. Attach the External hard disk or backup media to back up your files.
    8. Click on This PC > Select the C drive (C is the drive, where Windows is installed).
    9. Open Users folder > Open the Username folder and check if you can find the files or your data.
    10. Now, right click on the folders > Select Move to and choose the destination as your External Hard Disk.
    11. You will not see a progress bar, the time depends on the amount of data to be copied. After sometime, plug out the External hard disk, connect it in the different computer and check if you have all the required
      files.

Open Post To Microsoft:  Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss 01a3f2e0-0d06-4d26-afb5-67b468cbb303?upload=true.png

Method 2: Convert from MBR to GPT.

Follow the same steps (From 1-5) as above to open the command prompt using Installation media.

1. In the command prompt, type:
      DISKPART

2. Then, type: List Disk (Note down the disk which you want to convert to GPT)
    3. Then, type: Select Disk DiskNumber (Disk number is the disk which is listed in the above command, Ex:
      Select disk 0)
    4. Now, type: Clean
    5. Then, type: Convert GPT
    6. Lastly, type: Exit

Open Post To Microsoft:  Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss 18eb1534-0413-4cfd-a15c-5393275caae0?upload=true.gif

Now, start the Windows installation to install it in GPT format. If you are facing issues with UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE, I would suggest you to follow the Microsoft article on
    Bug Check 0xED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking ‘Yes’ or ‘No’.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, May 2, 2022
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss

QuickBooks crash while opening data file

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

As you have mentioned that after Windows and QuickBooks update whenever you open a data file in QuickBooks, it crashes. We would like to know if any other programs are crashing apart from QuickBooks.

I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned below:

Method 1: Repair QuickBooks

I suggest you to try repairing QuickBooks and then open data file in it. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and click on
      OK
    3. Look for QuickBooks application from the list, right click on it and select
      Repair.
    4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the repair process.

If repairing QuickBooks didn’t fix the issue, please refer Method 2.

Method 2: Open Sample data file

You can try opening a Sample data file in QuickBooks and check if QuickBooks crash. If QuickBooks didn’t crash while opening Sample data file, I suspect that the data file that you are trying to open is causing the crash. In this case, I suggest you
    to contact the
    QuickBooks support
    team.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 2, 2022
Thema:

Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss

1. Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss - Similar Threads - Open Post Microsoft

2. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows data loss: I accidentally closed my PC while it was configuring Windows and now I can't open specific apps like Google Play or else the PC will crash. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-data-loss/fb8a3461-85e4-4b48-8b14-587a552bed8e
  3. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows data loss: I accidentally closed my PC while it was configuring Windows and now I can't open specific apps like Google Play or else the PC will crash. How do i fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-data-loss/fb8a3461-85e4-4b48-8b14-587a552bed8e
  4. Windows data loss

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows11 update can lead to data loss ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows11 update can lead to data loss ?: I am continuously getting reminders to update Windows10 to 11. I am keep ignoring it fearing the data loss. I have only one Drive "C" Drive where I have whole of my critical data, with no back-up. Now windows is forcing me to upgrade. Can you ensure I won't be having data...
  6. Windows11 update can lead to data loss ?

Windows11 update can lead to data loss ?: I am continuously getting reminders to update Windows10 to 11. I am keep ignoring it fearing the data loss. I have only one Drive "C" Drive where I have whole of my critical data, with no back-up. Now windows is forcing me to upgrade. Can you ensure I won't be having data...
  7. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  8. Loss of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Loss of data: I recently signed into my schools Microsoft account on my personal computer. I managed to sign in and could use all of the facilities they offer. However, i decided to sign out of my schools Microsoft account and upon returning to my homepage I lost all of my data. I then...
  9. Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss: Came across a Windows 10 design/implementation bug today that simply should not have been possible. At this day and age the following experience really is quite inexcusable. Say what you want but in my book its not: period.I copied a number of important files from a USB drive...
  10. Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss

Open Post To Microsoft: Ridiculous Windows Design/Implementation Bug leads to data loss: Came across a Windows 10 design/implementation bug today that simply should not have been possible. At this day and age the following experience really is quite inexcusable. Say what you want but in my book its not: period.I copied a number of important files from a USB drive...