Windows 10: Open Settings Icon A Black Square in Windows Explorer

Discus and support Open Settings Icon A Black Square in Windows Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] I'm getting a black square in windows explorer... I however know why it is like that just don't know a real fix for it. I have an UHD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zekeman, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Zekeman Win User

Open Settings Icon A Black Square in Windows Explorer

Open Settings Icon A Black Square in Windows Explorer [​IMG]

I'm getting a black square in windows explorer... I however know why it is like that just don't know a real fix for it.

I have an UHD Monitor on my Laptop with Resolution of 3840x2160, so most things are small... I changed the custom scaling to 250% which makes everything much better for my needs... but causes this problem.

If I scale down to 200% which is smaller than I'd like it goes away, if I go to 300% it is then to big but also some icon graphics goes missing and clearing the icon cache doesn't help, but it does fix the black square... so 225-250% range it causes this black icon.. anybody know of a way to fix this correctly without changing the custom icon sizes?

Any help would be appreciated.

:)

Zekeman, Oct 28, 2015

2. Windows 10 - Desktop Icons Displayed as Black Squares & Windows Explorer Icons Not Working Properly

No update from me, but I too have the black squares on my desktop icons. I don't have them in Explorer, nor do I have the missing file tree. I thought I had fixed them by a) increasing the size of the icon cache, and b) rebuilding the icon cache. That lasted
    through two reboots, but now the black squares are back, and the rebuilding no longer works. All desktop icons except for the recycle bin (which is a custom icon) show the black square.

I too ugraded from Windows 8; I have a Yoga 3 Pro with a Core i5, with Intel HD 5300 graphics adapter. Drivers are up to date.

This is very annoying.

Ivan Van Laningham, Oct 28, 2015
  3. Moolynx Win User
    Windows 10 Missing toolbar icon

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, both method did not work. I did find this thread after searching very hard:

Open Settings Icon in File Explorer Black Square

I tried lowering my DPI to 150% and it fixed it. I think anything in the multiples of 50s will work. If I set it to 175%, it will be black.

Moolynx, Oct 28, 2015
Thema:

Open Settings Icon A Black Square in Windows Explorer

1. Open Settings Icon A Black Square in Windows Explorer - Similar Threads - Open Settings Icon

2. {SOLVED} black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

in Windows 10 Customization
    {SOLVED} black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included): I tried the solutions in this link but the problem still exists. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/my-desktop-icons-have-a-black-box-over-the-place/a2980ef5-e0fe-45d1-9cfc-d10b70e4c9d5 [IMG]...
  3. black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included)

in Windows 10 Customization
    black squares over desktop shortcuts and icons (screenshot included): I tried the solutions in this link but the problem still exists. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/my-desktop-icons-have-a-black-box-over-the-place/a2980ef5-e0fe-45d1-9cfc-d10b70e4c9d5 [IMG]...
  4. Microsoft Store Apps shown as black square icons

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft Store Apps shown as black square icons: My problem is Microsoft store shown as black square icon and any apps I installed from (eg. Microsoft edge - mail) and so on. you can see the image. [ATTACH]...
  5. Icons have black square on them as I mouse over

in Windows 10 Support
    Icons have black square on them as I mouse over: I have an odd problem. Desktop can look 100% fine, then as I move the mouse cursor over the icons, as I move the mouse over each one, they have a black square around them. It seems completely random when it does it. Today it did it while installing a piece of software, then...
  6. Settings Notifications Icons Black Squares

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings Notifications Icons Black Squares: Since the November update I've found my icons in Settings / Notifications 'Show notifications from these apps' are black squares. I've tried deleting and rebuilding the icon and thumbnail caches, rebooted and still have the same. Before the update they were fine and...
  7. Icons in the squares of Start menu

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Icons in the squares of Start menu: [img] Icons in some of the squares of start menu are missing. How to make them appear? 19148
  8. Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 desktop icons suddenly have black squares over them: I just bought a new PC on Thursday and it came with Windows 10 Home preinstalled. Having used versions 2.0 (yes I am ancient *Wink), carefully avoiding Vista, ME and 8.x, and on via XP to 7, I felt it couldn't get much better now and had decided I would resist upgrading as...
  9. Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop

in Windows 10 Support
    Explorer refuses to open from taskbar and random square on desktop: Hello, I've been experiencing some bugs with Windows 10, I tried restarting it but the problem still remains. There's this weird app that's making this square thing show up on my desktop, I've disabled all the possible apps at startup that could cause this issue but the...
  10. Black Square behind some of my Folder Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Square behind some of my Folder Icons: Hi, I just had this problem earlier. I had this Folder that has a Black Square behind it. I tried refreshing and it didn't work. I tried moving my files from that folder into another it worked. Deleting it and After refreshing, 4 folders have been affected by this problem....