Windows 10: Open WebP images on Photos app

Discus and support Open WebP images on Photos app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi How to Open WebP images on Photos app ? its only showing in windows photo viewer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Siamak5561, Dec 18, 2019.

1. Open WebP images on Photos app

Hi

How to Open WebP images on Photos app ? its only showing in windows photo viewer.

:)

Siamak5561, Dec 18, 2019

2. Cannot view animated WebP images in Windows Photo Viewer (Windows 7)

I've noticed recently that websites or browsers now show animated image files as WebP images instead of GIFs. Whenever I save them I notice in my folder in Windows Explorer, there is no image preview like there was with GIFs - it's just the generic image
    thumbnail. When I click on the WebP file to open with Windows Photo Viewer, I get an error message saying "Windows Photo Viewer can't open this picture because either Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format, or you don't have the latest updates to Photo
    Viewer."

I have right-clicked on the file, chosen "Properties" and then "change" to make Photo Viewer the default program in which to open them, but it still doesn't work. I also saw a codec offered online to install so you can view WebP images in Photo Viewer, but
    that still doesn't work.

Is there any way at all to overcome this? Or am I stuck opening these files only in Google Chrome or other browsers? It's very frustrating that I can see image previews for the GIFs and open them with Photo Viewer but not these files.

JessicaMcEachern1, Dec 18, 2019
  3. I need to open .webp files with the Windows 10 Photos app

I did the registry hack and unlocked Windows Photo Viewer. I can open other image files normally with it but I'm getting a corrupted error with the webp file even though the codecs are there.

AmDarkmatter, Dec 18, 2019
  4. Open WebP images on Photos app

I need to open .webp files with the Windows 10 Photos app

I need to open .webp files with the Photos app but it doesn't show up in the "open with" context menu and I can't find the .exe file. I know that the Photos app can read it because renaming the extension works.

This shouldn't be hard to do but I can't find a way to do it.

AmDarkmatter, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

Open WebP images on Photos app

1. Open WebP images on Photos app - Similar Threads - Open WebP images

2. when can I see an animated webp image in Win11 APP Photos?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    when can I see an animated webp image in Win11 APP Photos?: When I open an animated webp with Photos, it is shown as a static image https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-can-i-see-an-animated-webp-image-in-win11-app/08b189d1-3375-499b-9a73-6d9d111a4406
  3. when can I see an animated webp image in Win11 APP Photos?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    when can I see an animated webp image in Win11 APP Photos?: When I open an animated webp with Photos, it is shown as a static image https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/when-can-i-see-an-animated-webp-image-in-win11-app/08b189d1-3375-499b-9a73-6d9d111a4406
  4. Windows 'Photos' App Support for .webp Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 'Photos' App Support for .webp Files: I'm trying to understand why the 'Photos' app the Windows 10/11 default for most common image formats will not open files with the ".webp" extension even though it actually *can* display those images. It seems like 'Photos' simply will not recognize any file with that...
  5. Webp Image Extensions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Webp Image Extensions: Is there any way to stop this app from installing on my computer? I prefer the WebP Codec because it doesn't darken the image in Windows Photo Viewer. Every time I uninstall it, it gets reinstalled the next time I turn on my computer....
  6. Webp Image Extensions

Webp Image Extensions: Is there any way to stop this app from installing on my computer? I prefer the WebP Codec because it doesn't darken the image in Windows Photo Viewer. Every time I uninstall it, it gets reinstalled the next time I turn on my computer....
  7. It's been years now and you still can't open .webp images with the Photos app not to be...

It's been years now and you still can't open .webp images with the Photos app not to be...: Hey Microsoft? It's been years now and you still can't open the ever-present .webp images with the Photos app not to be confused with the old Photo Viewer. Countless people have made posts about it, and there is no solution.If you try to open a .webp, it doesn't know what to...
  8. WebP images are not images

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WebP images are not images: WebP images are not treated as images: thumbnails are not displayed, cannot be used as background etc. Why is that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/webp-images-are-not-images/82ea8f94-d7af-414d-a6e8-d7255a820e5b"
  9. Webp Image Extensions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Webp Image Extensions: How to terminate Webp Image Extensions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/webp-image-extensions/42a19481-9715-48fe-a0e4-2fd03382ed9f
  10. I need to open .webp files with the Windows 10 Photos app

I need to open .webp files with the Windows 10 Photos app: I need to open .webp files with the Photos app but it doesn't show up in the "open with" context menu and I can't find the .exe file. I know that the Photos app can read it because renaming the extension works. This shouldn't be hard to do but I can't find a way to do it....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 .webp want to use default photo app instead of chrome