Windows 10: Open windows/ applications relocate to different monitor after screen wakes

Discus and support Open windows/ applications relocate to different monitor after screen wakes in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Anyone else having issues with open applications or windows relocating to a different monitor? Every time my monitors wakes up, the windows move from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Damian13, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Open windows/ applications relocate to different monitor after screen wakes

Anyone else having issues with open applications or windows relocating to a different monitor? Every time my monitors wakes up, the windows move from my primary monitor to secondary monitor. It's been a happening for years. I don't think it's my graphics driver, as it's up to date and it happens on both my desktop with a Radeon card and my Surface Book which has an Nvidia.

Anyone have a fix? I've tried searching for it on google and none of the so called 'fixes' work.

submitted by /u/Damian13
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Damian13, Sep 12, 2020

2. Taskbar relocating to a different monitor

Hello,

The issue is most likely with the graphics driver. Whenever a single monitor is disconnected from a multi-monitor setup in Windows, Windows will attempt to move everything from that screen onto the remaining screen(s). Usually, this will not occur when suspending/hibernating/shutting
    down the computer. Thus, it is probably because of the graphics driver doing one of the following:

• Disconnecting the monitors when you put the computer to sleep, so when Windows awakens, it must re-determine where to place everything.
    • Recognizing the monitors in a different order each time you bring the computer out of sleep, forcing Windows to rearrange your application windows.

Check to see if there is an update to your graphics driver by going to the chipset manufacturer's website.

Get back to us should the issue persists.

Vanessa Oca, Sep 12, 2020
  3. tdehan Win User
    Open With opens with different application then the one selected

Can someone please provide the steps to fix this? This is maddening!

I just upgraded to Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and now it doesn't even show up in the list of Open With applications.

I don't want Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 to be the default application to open image files as I use numerous different applications to work on my images. I just want it to be an option in the Open With list.

How do I get Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 to show up in the list of Open With applications and how do I confirm that when I select it to open a file it actually opens instead of some different application.

Thanks

tdehan, Sep 12, 2020
  4. THE_EGG Win User

Open windows/ applications relocate to different monitor after screen wakes

Monitor problem - not waking up

Hey guys, I have an issue with my BenQ GW2765HT where if I turn on my computer with the monitor in standby (orange light) status the monitor will not wake up. I must then unplug the monitor from the AC power and then replug it and then also restart my computer before the monitor will wake up. This issue is intermittent however and also strangely if I do a restart from Windows the monitor goes to standby for a second or two before waking back up when the POST screen appears which is normal behaviour. So it seems only if the screen is on standby for some time does it fail to wake up again.

Also the monitor will not wake up if it is powered off (although still plugged in) under the same circumstances as if it were just on standby status and also requires the AC power to be disconnected and the computer to be restarted before it wakes up.

Any suggestions? Or should I just take it back to my shop?

info; I bought it in the middle of August last year.
    edit; I am using a displayport cable. I've tried a different displayport cable and also with a different computer and I have the same problem. I also tried DVI and it happened more often.

THE_EGG, Sep 12, 2020
Thema:

Open windows/ applications relocate to different monitor after screen wakes

1. Open windows/ applications relocate to different monitor after screen wakes - Similar Threads - Open applications relocate

2. Why won't Teams open on monitor after system wakes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't Teams open on monitor after system wakes?: I have a W11 Lenovo laptop with two external monitors. The laptop is set to go to sleep when the lid closes. When it wakes up, everything should remain the same.However, I have Teams running on the laptop's smaller monitor while working on the larger external ones. When I...
  3. Why won't Teams open on monitor after system wakes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't Teams open on monitor after system wakes?: I have a W11 Lenovo laptop with two external monitors. The laptop is set to go to sleep when the lid closes. When it wakes up, everything should remain the same.However, I have Teams running on the laptop's smaller monitor while working on the larger external ones. When I...
  4. Applications changing to a different monitor when monitors close after idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications changing to a different monitor when monitors close after idle: Hello, I would like to report an issue that has been happening to me pretty much since Windows XP. Not sure if it was happening before in Windows 3.1/95/98.I have a setup with two monitors. When the monitors close after idle, all applications are automatically going to my...
  5. Applications changing to a different monitor when monitors close after idle

Applications changing to a different monitor when monitors close after idle: Hello, I would like to report an issue that has been happening to me pretty much since Windows XP. Not sure if it was happening before in Windows 3.1/95/98.I have a setup with two monitors. When the monitors close after idle, all applications are automatically going to my...
  6. Applications changing to a different monitor when monitors close after idle

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Relocate applications

Relocate applications: Hi Folks,I have an application that runs locally on the desktops. It is a nuisance to manage over all the individual desktops. Can this be configured to run on a Windows Server and display on the individual desktops? I don't want to use Remote Desktop; what I imagine is more...
  8. Monitor Wakes after sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Monitor Wakes after sleep: I have a self built AMD system with an ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO MOBO I set the screen to turn off after 3 minutes. It does, although it hangs up sometimes if Facebook is open But then it comes on again for 3 more minutes after 3 minutes of being off I thought it might be a MOBO...
  9. different opening screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    different opening screen: A month ago I went on a holiday & took my laptop computer along. When I opened it up at my destination the opening screen had changed and it worked very slowly. I don't like the new screen & would like to revert to my old screen with smaller icons and faster logins....
  10. Windows 10 One Monitor Not Waking After Sleep or Screen Off

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 One Monitor Not Waking After Sleep or Screen Off: Hi. I have a dual-monitor setup and one of my monitors won't wake after sleep or after the screen turns off. I recently upgrading to Windows 10. All my drivers are updated. The monitor works completely fine before the screen turns off. The screen is black at the lock screen...