Windows 10: Open windows in foreground

Discus and support Open windows in foreground in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; All of a sudden, the windows I open are in the background and cannot be brought to the foreground by clicking on them. Also the task bar has quit... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ladybugrwv, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Open windows in foreground

All of a sudden, the windows I open are in the background and cannot be brought to the foreground by clicking on them. Also the task bar has quit sliding out if I have a window opened full screen. I have to downsize the window to get the task bar to slide out from the side.

:)

ladybugrwv, Aug 31, 2019
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 31, 2019
  3. KB4025342, window with focus not in foreground

This occurred with the March 2017 WU, & now again with KB4025342.

This ONLY occurs after these WUs were installed & laptop rebooted.

It worked fine before the WUs.

This laptop is less than 1 year old.

THE ISSUE:

Roughly around an hour of the computer being on, toggling between open windows will fail to bring the window with the focus to the foreground.

For example:

If another window currently has the focus (Excel 2016, Word 2016, Google Chrome, etc.) & you try to toggle to another open window, like Notepad, Notepad will not be brought to the foreground, but it still has the focus.

You can type in some text, minimize the window that had the focus before clicking on an open Notepad doc from the Taskbar, and you will see the text was entered in that Notepad doc, even though it was not in the foreground.

The issue is that the open app the user clicks on is not brought to the foreground and/or the window that is in the foreground is not giving up the foreground to the app the user clicks on to bring it to the foreground.

This happens only after the March 2017 & the July 2017 WU were automatically installed by Windows Update.

What changes in these WUs are corrupting this toggling between open windows?

This has never happened before with any other Windows OS, only Windows 10.

JeffSchafer, Aug 31, 2019
  4. Lars Gard Win User

Open windows in foreground

An app is suddenly running in background instead of foreground as it should

I run Windows 10.

When I tried to start an app it suddenly started to run in the background instead of foreground as it should, as seen in the Taskmanager.

It is an "external" app and is thus not listed in the Settings-privacy- background apps list

I want to force it back to run as foreground app again.

Is it possible?

Lars Gard, Aug 31, 2019
Thema:

Open windows in foreground

1. Open windows in foreground - Similar Threads - Open foreground

2. SOMETIMES an java application windows opens in the foreground and SOMETIMES in the background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SOMETIMES an java application windows opens in the foreground and SOMETIMES in the background: Hello AllI am working on Java desktop application for Windows which is able to opens multiple windows. Opening a new windows of the app maybe triggered via REST call. To test the scenario of opening a new window via REST call I have a command application that sends a request....
  3. SOMETIMES an java application windows opens in the foreground and SOMETIMES in the background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SOMETIMES an java application windows opens in the foreground and SOMETIMES in the background: Hello AllI am working on Java desktop application for Windows which is able to opens multiple windows. Opening a new windows of the app maybe triggered via REST call. To test the scenario of opening a new window via REST call I have a command application that sends a request....
  4. SOMETIMES an java application windows opens in the foreground and SOMETIMES in the background

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Applications and dialog boxes are opening in the background instead of foreground in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Applications and dialog boxes are opening in the background instead of foreground in Windows 11: I just got a new laptop with Windows 11 and this issue is driving me crazy. Applications and dialog boxes are all opening in the background BEHIND already opened applications. Sometimes the application or dialog box will open in the foreground for a couple of seconds then...
  6. Applications and dialog boxes are opening in the background instead of foreground in Windows 11

Applications and dialog boxes are opening in the background instead of foreground in Windows 11: I just got a new laptop with Windows 11 and this issue is driving me crazy. Applications and dialog boxes are all opening in the background BEHIND already opened applications. Sometimes the application or dialog box will open in the foreground for a couple of seconds then...
  7. Windows 11--most recently opened Explorer window keeps popping up into the foreground

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11--most recently opened Explorer window keeps popping up into the foreground: For the past month Windows Explorer has started the annoying habit of routinely moving its most recently opened window into the foreground. Is there a way to stop it from doing this?For example, I'll open an Explorer window to open a file into another application, and a few...
  8. Windows 11--most recently opened Explorer window keeps popping up into the foreground

Windows 11--most recently opened Explorer window keeps popping up into the foreground: For the past month Windows Explorer has started the annoying habit of routinely moving its most recently opened window into the foreground. Is there a way to stop it from doing this?For example, I'll open an Explorer window to open a file into another application, and a few...
  9. Win 11 New computer / Application Menus not opening in foreground- always behind the open...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 11 New computer / Application Menus not opening in foreground- always behind the open...: My new PC computer came with windows 11, it is not opening menu items in the foreground, sometimes you can physically see the outline / edge underneath other windows, right clicking over items or selecting options in 365 etc .. has the same problem, having to use keyboard...
  10. Win 11 New computer / Application Menus not opening in foreground- always behind the open...

Win 11 New computer / Application Menus not opening in foreground- always behind the open...: My new PC computer came with windows 11, it is not opening menu items in the foreground, sometimes you can physically see the outline / edge underneath other windows, right clicking over items or selecting options in 365 etc .. has the same problem, having to use keyboard...