Windows 10: Open windows in multiple monitors move around after sleep/lock

Discus and support Open windows in multiple monitors move around after sleep/lock in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I am running the latest version of Windows 10 Home 64-bit on multiple monitors. After I stop using my PC and Windows goes into sleep mode, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by HBT_265, Sep 28, 2020.

1. HBT_265 Win User

Open windows in multiple monitors move around after sleep/lock

I am running the latest version of Windows 10 Home 64-bit on multiple monitors.

After I stop using my PC and Windows goes into sleep mode, the windows I left open in different monitors move around on their own to other monitors. This happens to browser windows and various app windows including O365 windows.

I recently upgraded from a 32-bit to 64-bit system. I had the same multiple monitor configuration on the 32-bit system and everything worked fine. The problem started after I upgraded to the 64-bit system on a new machine.

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 graphics card I use has the latest drivers and Windows 10 has all current updates.

Is there a way to ensure the open windows stay in their original position after the system goes to sleep?

:)

HBT_265, Sep 28, 2020
  2. SandyW360 Win User

Windows 10 Sleep/Lock Problem

This advice did not work for me.

Some one wrote this.... just upgraded to Windows 10 and my monitor will not come back from Sleep or Lock Mode without turning off the computer and rebooting.

I am and I am having the same problem with not coming back from sleep mode. If I press the on off button the monitor will come back on
    but everything is locked up and then I have to turn it off on the tower. And then turn it back on. What I have found to work is turning the power options to never turn off or sleep and then just turn off the
    monitor during the day and then just shut it off at night.

SandyW360, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Dyan Rey Win User
    Windows Spotlight on the lock screen

Hi,

There are multiple causes on why you're encountering this issue. To further troubleshoot the issue, we suggest that you disable and re-enable Spotlight. Simply follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the desktop and open Personalize.
    • Open Lock Screen tab.
    • Under Background, switch from Windows Spotlight to a Picture or the Slideshow.
    • Click OK and close the Window.
    • Now Log off and log in.
    • Navigate to Lock screen and enable Windows Spotlight again.

Let us know how it works.

Dyan Rey, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Open windows in multiple monitors move around after sleep/lock - Similar Threads - Open multiple monitors

2. Multiple monitors- new windows will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple monitors- new windows will not open: This is an issue with a specific program I use at work (Sage). The program opens fine, but when I open another window inside that application (or opening a third), It opens the window on a non-existent monitor. It happens consistently when I disconnect external monitors (take...
  3. Sleep mode, multiple monitors and apps moving

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode, multiple monitors and apps moving: I have a W11 laptop hooked up to two external monitors. The computer is set to go to sleep mode when the lid is closed. I have Teams running on the laptop's screen. When I open the laptop to continue work in the morning, the application has migrated to an external monitor. It...
  4. Sleep mode, multiple monitors and apps moving

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep mode, multiple monitors and apps moving: I have a W11 laptop hooked up to two external monitors. The computer is set to go to sleep mode when the lid is closed. I have Teams running on the laptop's screen. When I open the laptop to continue work in the morning, the application has migrated to an external monitor. It...
  5. Resizing and moving all open windows after sleep or shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    Resizing and moving all open windows after sleep or shutdown: Windows all of a sudden is resizing and moving all open windows after sleep or shutdown, it will not remember the settings at all, already reinstalled drivers, uninstalled all programs, uninstalled all drivers, reset windows, done a repair installation - all to no avail. This...
  6. Lock Screen Multiple MOnitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Lock Screen Multiple MOnitors: I have three monitors and recently replaced my desktop computer. On my old system, also running Windows 10 the lock screen and windows Hello screen appeared on the right hand monitor, under my webcam. With the new computer the lock screen and Windows Hello is now on the...
  7. Stopping windows moving across multiple monitors after sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Stopping windows moving across multiple monitors after sleep: I used to have an Lenovo PC with 2 monitors. Things worked, not noise after sleeping and windows stayed on the monitor they were on after screen sleep. Now I have had 2 HPs with new monitors connected with HDMI. First, after screen sleep it makes connect and disconnect...
  8. Multiple monitors - Windows move about when PC wakes from sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Multiple monitors - Windows move about when PC wakes from sleep: I'm running Windows 10 on an iMac Pro 27", with an additional two monitors connected via the Mac's two Thunderbolt ports. Previously the two additional monitors were Dell 2007WFPb screens, connected to the computer via DVI cables via adapters for the Thunderbolt ports. All...
  9. Monitor Won’t Sleep after Locking Windows

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Monitor Won’t Sleep after Locking Windows: Recently after updating Windows 10 my monitor will no longer go to sleep after locking windows... you know, when you press the “windows key” and the L key at the same time. The monitor is supposed to go to sleep like a minute after locking windows, and it used to do this all...
  10. Open windows move and resize after sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open windows move and resize after sleep: I have a six month of Dell Vostro which came installed with Windows 10 Pro. Every time my computer sleeps when it wakes all open windows have shifted position and/or resized....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. www.windowsphoneinfo.com