Windows 10: "Open with" always open the wrong file

Discus and support "Open with" always open the wrong file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I have problems with my "Open With" option in the right-click menu. It always opens the wrong file. Not the wrong program but wrong file.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jin_chem, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Jin_chem Win User

"Open with" always open the wrong file

Hello all,

I have problems with my "Open With" option in the right-click menu. It always opens the wrong file. Not the wrong program but wrong file. If I right click any files, e.g. "D:/123.c" , choose "Open With", then choose Notepad, it will always open the file "F:/science.txt". If I delete the file "F:/science.txt", the notepad program will launch but with error "cannot find the file "Fe:\science.txt"." If I choose other program, e.g. pdf reader, it still will open the file "F:/science.txt". So no matter what file I choose, it will always open the file "F:\science.txt".

Is there any way to solve this? BTW, I have another option in the right-click menu, "opendlg". If I choose that, a dialog will show up. I can choose notepad, it can work correctly.

Thanks.

:)

Jin_chem, Oct 23, 2020
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Oct 23, 2020
  3. How to open a .aspx?

I think the biggest problem with this thread is that two knowledgeable parties (whether right or wrong) wanted to show how knowledgeable they are instead of just providing OP a means to open the .aspx file.

That said, OP hasn't done much to help himself, otherwise he would've explained the context of his trying to open said .aspx file and either Ford or Mind would've been able to step in and give the technical details on why or how it would or wouldn't be possible to open the file.

DAT RUN-ON SENTENCE.

OnePostWonder, Oct 23, 2020
  4. jaydeee Win User

PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile "Open with" always open the wrong file :)

jaydeee, Oct 23, 2020
Thema:

1. "Open with" always open the wrong file - Similar Threads - Open always open

2. Always open with

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Always open with: I accidentally opened a .pck file with windows media player and cannot revert it to its original form. I need it back to its original form. I have tried reset to default settings in default apps. I do not want a different app. I want the original back....
  3. Always open with

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Always open with: I accidentally opened a .pck file with windows media player and cannot revert it to its original form. I need it back to its original form. I have tried reset to default settings in default apps. I do not want a different app. I want the original back....
  4. Always open with

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Key file but it always open to notepad

Key file but it always open to notepad: Good Day! I have here a problem. I downloaded a Key file online and accidentally set notepad as a default app. I tried to reset to the Microsoft recommended defaults but still it didn't work. I tried to change the key file's default app but it won't change back to normal. Can...
  6. Excel always tries to open in the wrong virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Excel always tries to open in the wrong virtual desktop: I always keep a spreadsheet open in Desktop 2, but mostly use Desktop 1. Whenever I open a spreadsheet from Desktop 1, Excel decides to go ahead and open it in Desktop 2 (switching me over). It's annoying to have to move it back every time. Any tips? submitted by...
  7. always open with

always open with: how can i enable always open with https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/always-open-with/d1f02542-d3f0-4ae6-960e-097af6ea3fac
  8. always open with

always open with: hi I'm trying to make a game and i want to always open txt files in visual studio code but I don't know how. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/always-open-with/151a13f9-1a16-408e-8a13-807b6cf958ed
  9. Windows always opens on wrong monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows always opens on wrong monitor: Hello, I use 4 monitors, 1 is the internal laptop screen, 2 & 3 are external monitors and the fourth is a smart TV. I only use 3 of these when all are connected, the two externals and the TV. When all are connected the laptop screen is disconnected. Every day when I wake...
  10. File Explorer always opens on startup

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer always opens on startup: My windows file explorer always opens on startup, and I cannot get it to stop. It always pulls up on the OneDrive Files (not sure if that is relevant). I cannot find a way to get it to not open. Any help?...