Windows 10: "open with" and opening of files slow

Discus and support "open with" and opening of files slow in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a problem were files associated for example with Word or Acrobat reader are slow to open. It seems Windows is confused which app to choose and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RodneyXerri, Oct 31, 2018.

1. "open with" and opening of files slow

I have a problem were files associated for example with Word or Acrobat reader are slow to open. It seems Windows is confused which app to choose and takes long. If I reopen the same file it will open instantly or open another file with the app already open

Also the "Open with" menu is slow

I hope you can help

:)

RodneyXerri, Oct 31, 2018
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Oct 31, 2018
  3. erocker Win User
    Exe file slow to open

A SFX archive isn't going to open right away. The files have to be extracted first. When you are opening it in WinRar, it's not extracting the file, it's just reading it which is why it opens right away.

erocker, Oct 31, 2018
  4. 95Viper Win User

"open with" and opening of files slow

Exe file slow to open

Possible... I had Kaspersky and ZoneAlarm, both, on different machines & times, misbehavin' and had to re-install them to set them right.
    Even after cleaning them out and re-setting them; they would still bog the file access times down and cause Windows Explorer (not ie) to be slow on opening and accessing, until re-installed.

If he turns off real-time detection it will not make any difference, as he has already been opening the file... he would/should have gotten an alert or warning if there were a problem with the file he is testing with.

Probably not; but, how much ram?
    What version of Windows?
    Where is you swap file located? What size?
    How full are your drives?
    What processor?
    Have you got the latest firmware for your SSD?
    Are your drivers up to date?
    Is your MB bios current?

Is the file an installation file, video file, etc? Does it use compression?

You need to goto User CP and put your system info there and then check the box to show the specs. The info will go a long way in helping some to diagnose your possible problem(s).

95Viper, Oct 31, 2018
Thema:

"open with" and opening of files slow

1. "open with" and opening of files slow - Similar Threads - open opening files

2. Slow to open exe files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow to open exe files: My Windows opens "exe" files very slowly, some software takes a few minutes to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-to-open-exe-files/333204af-2027-4ce9-bb91-c0c1a09e7028
  3. Slow to open exe files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow to open exe files: My Windows opens "exe" files very slowly, some software takes a few minutes to open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slow-to-open-exe-files/333204af-2027-4ce9-bb91-c0c1a09e7028
  4. Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open: I am running Win 11 Pro in the most up to date personal use mode no insider code.This is a recent problem coincident with the most recent patch Tuesday updates 3/31/2023 KB5023778 and a OneDrive update. It was not present last week.All the "Explorer is slow" issue resolutions...
  5. Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open

Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open: I am running Win 11 Pro in the most up to date personal use mode no insider code.This is a recent problem coincident with the most recent patch Tuesday updates 3/31/2023 KB5023778 and a OneDrive update. It was not present last week.All the "Explorer is slow" issue resolutions...
  6. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  7. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  8. FIle explorer slow when opening files

9. Opening audio files is very slow

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Opening audio files is very slow: Hi all, I've been facing this issue for the last year or so. I've been able to solve it once and now it came back. I'm running Windows 10 on Ryzen 3700x and Samsung SSD. All audio files which i'm trying to open is either not responding or takes at least a minute to open on...
  10. File Explorer slow to open or will not open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer slow to open or will not open: Quite often (60% of the time) clicking on Windows Explorer results in no action whether from the tool bar or from the Windows screen for a very long period of time. There is nothing showing to determine if there is a background program causing Explorer to wait. When it...