Windows 10: "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

Discus and support "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by closee, Aug 25, 2022.

1. closee Win User

"Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program to open with by manually navigating to the program path, it ignores what I choose and just opens with the first Firefox instance registered to the menu. A possible workaround is changing one of the browser executable names to something like firefox2.exe, but I don't want a solution. I have tried giving full path in the re

:)

closee, Aug 25, 2022

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program :(

ArmoredCavalry, Aug 25, 2022
  3. SteveMann Win User
    Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?

I frequently open multiple instances of the Arduino IDE program. The first opens to the same size as the window was when I closed it. Subsequent opens of new instances of the program (it's not unusual for me to have three or four instances running at the same time) open in a much smaller window. Is this normal?

(Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362)

SteveMann, Aug 25, 2022
  4. chezy525 Win User

Windows 10 Virtual Desktops and multiple program instances

I'm having an issue with the new Virtual Desktops in Windows 10. For example:

1. From Desktop 1, double click the file "test1.xlsx". This will open the file in a new instance of Excel (specifically 2010, in my case), on Desktop 1.
    2. From Desktop 2, double click the file "test2.xlsx". This will change the desktop to Desktop 1 and open the file in the same instance of Excel as from step 1.

I've found this to also be true with Notepad++, so my guess is that this behavior occurs with any program that opens multiple files in a single instance. However, these are the two programs I generally use in this way.

I've found a number of ways to disable DDE for Excel, but this isn't what I want to do. If I open a second file from a desktop that already contains an instance of the program that should open it, I want to use that instance.

I've found manual ways of opening a second instance, moving it to the correct desktop, and then opening the file in that instance. However, the process is slightly different for each program and overall is, at best, clunky. Not to mention that now a third file will open in the most recently used instance, and not necessarily the correct one, requiring the whole process to start over again.

chezy525, Aug 25, 2022
Thema:

1. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program - Similar Threads - Open Menu Confuses

2. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  3. Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple Instances of Same Application Opening in the Background: Hello There,I have this issue on my Windows 11 wherein it opens up multiple copies of the same application. In the screenshot from this link that I only opened Photoshop without any tabs or design being active, and yet it shows multiple instances of the same application in...
  4. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  5. "Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program

"Open with" Menu Confuses Multiple instances of the same program: I have a portable and an installed instance of the same internet browser, Firefox. I am trying to make Windows register both Firefox instances to the Open With program list in the context menu of the file. The file I'm trying to open is a pdf. When I try to choose the program...
  6. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  7. Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application

Windows 11 opening multiple instances of same application: How do I force Win 11 to open only 1 instance of an app when I select it's icon from the toolbar or desktop? In Win 10, when I opened an app such as Notepad, I could then open my browser or any other app and Notepad would be minimized on the toolbar unless I had the Windows...
  8. Multiple instances of a chat program

Multiple instances of a chat program: Programs like EXCEL and WORD allow more than one instance to be open on the desktop simultaneously; is there a structural reason why a chat program could not have a separate instance open for different contacts ? 182603
  9. Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of a program open with different window size?: I frequently open multiple instances of the Arduino IDE program. The first opens to the same size as the window was when I closed it. Subsequent opens of new instances of the program (it's not unusual for me to have three or four instances running at the same time) open in a...
  10. Multiple instances of the same folder open

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple instances of the same folder open: I feel kinda dumb asking this, but here goes. Has windows always allowed having multiple instances of the same folder open? I can't remember. I can open the same folder from a desktop shortcut in an unlimited amount of instances. I can find my desktop toolbar filling up...