Windows 10: "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious

Discus and support "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I got tired of seeing an old version of Adobe Audition in my "Open With" menu for .wav files, so I tried to go to the registry to delete it. But the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OsakaWebbie, Jan 15, 2020.

1. "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious

I got tired of seeing an old version of Adobe Audition in my "Open With" menu for .wav files, so I tried to go to the registry to delete it. But the registry entries are really weird. Here is a screenshot of the Open With menu overlaid with regedit showing the relevant keys and values:

"Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious 14e62c73-72f5-4259-9dd3-bf9323d9032f?upload=true.png

Other than Audition unfortunately that entry is too general, so I can't remove 2017.1 and keep 2019 and VLC, nothing matches - none of the other media players are in the registry, and the other registry entries are goofy: Firefox which of course can't play audio files directly and a bunch of garbage that would make me fear malware if I was the fearful type.

Does anyone know what's going on?

:)

OsakaWebbie, Jan 15, 2020
  2. MDehghan Win User

How to delete an entry in Open With menu?

I have opened an mp3 file with a program mistakenly and that program keeps showing in the Open With list selection for every other extensions that I right click and go to Open With menu from that time on, how can I delete that entry through registry editor?

MDehghan, Jan 15, 2020
  3. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious :(

ArmoredCavalry, Jan 15, 2020
  4. "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious

Windows 10 'Windows sockets registry entries are missing'

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the issue that you are currently facing, we will try the best we can to resolve your issue.

I would like to inform you that Winsock or Windows Sockets is a technical specification that defines how Windows network software should access network services.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if you are able to connect to internet.

Step 1: Perform a Winsock Reset

• Open the Windows Start Screen or
      Start Menu and type cmd in the search box.

• Right-click Command Prompt or
      cmd in the search results and select Run as Administrator.

• Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt window and press
      Enter. Wait for Windows to finish resetting your Winsock configuration.

• Reboot your computer.
    Step 2: I suggest you to refer to the below thread replied by
    jtelliott94 on March 25, 2015 and check if it helps.

Refer: windows socket registry
    entries missing according to diagnostics and internet no longer working at all

Hope the information helps. Please let us know if the issue persist and we will be happy to assist you further.

Nachappa C K, Jan 15, 2020
Thema:

"Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious

1. "Open With" menu - registry entries mysterious - Similar Threads - Open menu registry

2. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  3. Registry entry

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Registry entry: Desktop PC with Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS Build 22621.1194.The registry has two entries for the Downloads folder as below for the same User -HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}...
  4. Registry Entry

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Registry Entry: Does anyone know what this registry entry is? When I run McAfee Quick Clean this registry entry can never be removed, is there a reason? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab}...
  5. Mysterious Display registries

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mysterious Display registries: What are these registeries used for? Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\EnergyEstimation\Display DisplayBacklightPowerFloor DisplayBacklightPowerGradient DisplayBacklightPowerQDenominator DisplayBacklightPowerQNumerator...
  6. registry entries

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    registry entries: ActiveX/COM Issue LocalServer32\C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechRuntime.exe -ToastNotifier HKCR\CLSID\{265b1075-d22b-41eb-bc97-87568f3e6dab} https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/registry-entries/739b6f1f-5482-41d7-98cc-c9cfc7df078c
  7. Mysterious Registry

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mysterious Registry: Greetengs everybody and happy holidays. Could you please explain to me purpose of this Registry Values Windows 10, I couldn't find anything about it on the web: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\EnergyEstimation\Display...
  8. Entries in Registry

in Windows 10 Support
    Entries in Registry: Hello, While making some registry editing, found 17 entries named "Sign.Media". Don't know what it is, have not any program this name. Can I remove them from the registry ? Answers will be appreciated Thanks 140198
  9. Creating a registry key for a universal context menu entry?

in Windows 10 Support
    Creating a registry key for a universal context menu entry?: I am a constant user of Textpad test editor, in every context, but their setup option to have "Open with Textpad" on every context menu is broken in Windows 10. Occasionally, I also use Notepad++, but it is not a substitute because of the collection of editing tools,...
  10. Garbled Registry Entries

in Windows 10 Support
    Garbled Registry Entries: Hello, Was looking at registry to make a backup of some entries and saw the following garbled entries. Was wondering what this was all about. Recently, my machine, after latest windows updates, has been having issues waking up after Hibernate. This issue seemed to be...