Windows 10: Open With - missing 'Always use this app..'

Discus and support Open With - missing 'Always use this app..' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have two laptops running 1903 (18362.720), as you can see from my specs. The check box "Always use this app..." is missing on the one with the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, May 10, 2020.

1. dalchina Win User

Open With - missing 'Always use this app..'

Hi, I have two laptops running 1903 (18362.720), as you can see from my specs.

The check box "Always use this app..." is missing on the one with the more recent clean install (about 2.5 years ago). And it's missing if I create and use another user account.

It's present on the one with the much older clean Win 10 install, and with far more installed.

This problem is quite common. I've read many threads and comments on this, but been unable to find any that have solved this. Usually this problem is attributed to some rational sounding explanation. E.g.

"always use this app" missing in windows 10
    and there are other examples on tenforums.

Well, on the older installation I certainly used the Control Panel default programs applet when that was functional.

I haven't tried an in-place upgrade repair install, and will wait for 20H1 rather than spend the time doing that just for this.

If you've any thoughts, they'd be welcome. Thanks!

:)

dalchina, May 10, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hello Adam,

This is the suggested solution below if you haven't already tried it. Open With - missing 'Always use this app..' :)

In this Windows 10 build 10041, the Mail, Calendar, and People apps may be broken due to a licensing issue with the Store Beta. To get these apps working again, you need to follow these steps:

• Open powershell as administrator
    • Run the command Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like “*windowscommunicationsapps*”} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online
    • Re-install Mail, People and Calendar from the Store (green tile)

Brink, May 10, 2020
  3. Edwin Win User
    Mail app will not open on 10041.

Hey Shawn,
    I did that to no avail, then I ran WSReset.exe; now I'm good on all 3, Mail, Calendar and People! *Confused
    Go figure!

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

Edwin, May 10, 2020
  4. robinpe Win User

Missing apps: Store, People, Photos, Games & Camera on upgrading to 10

Thanks for replying spunk. That's the 'alphabetical' list I was referring to, none of these apps are in that 'All apps' list. Any more suggestions?

robinpe, May 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Open With - missing 'Always use this app..' - Similar Threads - Open missing 'Always

2. always use this app to open missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    always use this app to open missing: Hi guys, I tried so many workarounds and "fixes" but still it doesn't show app, on the settings(associate file type by app) I can't find my app. Any help? Thanks! windows 10 1909 submitted by /u/AnonPH009 [link] [comments]...
  3. Open With - missing 'Always use this app..'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Open With - missing 'Always use this app..': Hi, I have two laptops running 1903 (18362.720), as you can see from my specs. The check box "Always use this app..." is missing on the one with the more recent clean install (about 2.5 years ago). And it's missing if I create and use another user account. It's present on...
  4. how to always open apps maximized

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to always open apps maximized: how to always open apps, scripts and programs maximized https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-always-open-apps-maximized/4984d33b-a11c-4bd5-bcb5-0cc3752d6752"
  5. Undo "Always use this app to open .abc files"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Undo "Always use this app to open .abc files": Is there any way to undo a "Always use this app to open .abc files"? I have accidentally tries to open a .asd file with word, which is not possible. Now windows 10 gives the icon for word when a file is of the type .asd. I know this question is asked before, but it always...
  6. Undo or reset Always use this app to open files option in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Undo or reset Always use this app to open files option in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Every file opens with one of the built-in apps in Windows 10 by Microsoft. For example, you may want to set Photos as the default app for a photo viewer. If you are not satisfied with the options suggested by [...] This post Undo or reset Always use this app...
  7. "Always use this app to open .xml files" not working

"Always use this app to open .xml files" not working: Every time when I receive an .xml file in Outlook and try to open it, it will prompt a dialog and ask me to choose an APP to open it. Even though I tick "Always use this app to open .xml files", the next time I open it, same thing happens. So can anyone help me fix it. Many...
  8. "Always use this app to open...files" not working.

"Always use this app to open...files" not working.: Default apps for ANY filetype is not working. I tried the following without success: - Right Click -> Open With -> "Always use this app to open...files" not working. - Right Click -> Properties -> Opens with -> Chose a .exe and nothing happens - Default App Settings ->...
  9. "always use this app" missing in windows 10

"always use this app" missing in windows 10: When I go into the control panel to set default apps, and pick a type, say browser, I'd expect to see a box "always use this app" in the pop up window. There is none, and so clicking on an app has absolutely no affect. I am logged into an ADMIN account. How do I get that box...
  10. force W10 to show checkbox with "always use this app to open file"

force W10 to show checkbox with "always use this app to open file": The last update messed up some of my associations, by right-clicking on specific file types it asked which app I want to associate to it but I associated a wrong application to a file type, ticked the check box and after realizing the mistake it took me several hours to...