Windows 10: 'open with' not sticking

Discus and support 'open with' not sticking in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; If I set a movie to open with WMP (or VLC) using open with - choose another app - always use this app to open .mp4 files it sticks while my pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by badcrc, Dec 27, 2015.

1. badcrc Win User

'open with' not sticking

If I set a movie to open with WMP (or VLC) using

open with - choose another app - always use this app to open .mp4 files

it sticks while my pc is on, but next day when I click an mp4, Films + TV opens (ditto for mpg, mkv etc). Same happens with images. I used a reg file from this forum to enable Photo Viewer and set that as default, but when I click a jpg it uses a different app.

Is this a bug or a feature ? Could CCleaner be deleting my 'open with' settings ?

:)

badcrc, Dec 27, 2015

2. Removed app sticking in open with list

Hello,

A quick question before we proceed:

Did you restart the system after uninstall?

I suggest you to uninstall the program in clean boot state and check if it helps:

You need to follow the steps from the article mentioned below to perform a Clean Boot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note:Once you are done with the troubleshooting, perform the steps in "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot "to reset computer as usual.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, Dec 27, 2015
  3. rui.liu Win User
    Removed app sticking in open with list

Hi,

I installed a program before, now it's been removed (not at C:\Program Files (x86)\Vim\vim74\vim.exe any more). It seems that there's still the open with option for that program sticking in the open with list.

How can I remove it? Also more generally, where is open with (Other options) list saved?

Thanks

'open with' not sticking [​IMG]

rui.liu, Dec 27, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

'open with' not sticking

Try the old-fashioned way.................

type control panel into the search box > Enter > top right, click View by and select small > select Default Programs > select Associate a file type or protocol...... >wait for loading > left side, scroll down to mp4, click it > does it say WMP or VLC ?
    if not, top right click Change program > find WMP or VLC > click it > click OK.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

See if the setting will stick this time.

davidhk, Dec 27, 2015
  5. badcrc Win User
    Well, I followed 'the old fashioned way' and changed all relevant associations. After a restart most, but not all, default programs had stuck. I opened Thunderbird to get the forum link to reply 'solved' and my desktop icons started flashing - all associations had turned back to Microsoft default.

When it comes to this Windows 10 upgrade, I guess there's no such thing as a free lunch - it's their way or the highway.

Thanks for reply.

badcrc, Dec 27, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    Weird.
    I have a Win 10 Home 10586.36 and a Win 10 Pro Insider Preview 11082.
    I have no problem setting open with default programs on both machines.

Sorry. I have no idea what's wrong with your machine.

davidhk, Dec 27, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    Out of desperation......................
    How about NOT using T-bird ?

davidhk, Dec 27, 2015
  8. pyramid10 Win User

'open with' not sticking

@badcrc

Just wondering ... in the dialog box for changing association, do you click 'Ok' or 'Apply'? The latter will engage the OS and change all files of that extension; thumbnails will reflect the change.

pyramid10, Dec 27, 2015
  9. dalchina New Member
    Noted your ref. to icons flashing and using a reg file.
    I had this when a registry key related to jpg gained an extra value- don't know why.
    If I had a jpg file visible in explorer or on the desktop, the icons flashed.
    Here are my notes, and a reference to the problem.

"Fixed jpg - unable to change default association.
    Was set to Photos- opening an explorer window revealing a jpg or with a jpg on the desktop led to desktop and taskbar icons flashing.

Solution: delete
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.jpg\UserChoice]
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-un...sion-windows-7

Noted taskbar icons flashing with settings (default apps) open.
    Reset MS defaults.
    Flashing stopped
    Jpg UserChoice ok- set to a modern app."

(You don't HAVE to reset to MS defaults, of course.. you could do sthg else there).

dalchina, Dec 28, 2015
  10. badcrc Win User
    I think I have found what was screwing with my file associations - I was using a very old version of WinZip (v12 from 2008). For some reason, opening WinZip made my desktop + taskbar icons flash and associations change back to default. Installing v20 x64 WinZip seems to have fixed things.

I know people are going to say 'impossible' etc, so I did a before and after Camtasia video - you can see the icons flash. Here on YouTube (unlisted) -

Old version WinZip causing problems in Windows 10 - YouTube

badcrc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

'open with' not sticking

1. 'open with' not sticking - Similar Threads - 'open with' sticking

2. USB stick cannot be opened on Windows XP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB stick cannot be opened on Windows XP: Hello, I recently found an old PC that has Windows XP and an Athlon. I've found around 50GB worth of old photos and I would like to move them to my PC. It does not connect to the internet, I have tried absolutely everything, but it also cannot open any storage external hard...
  3. USB stick cannot be opened on Windows XP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB stick cannot be opened on Windows XP: Hello, I recently found an old PC that has Windows XP and an Athlon. I've found around 50GB worth of old photos and I would like to move them to my PC. It does not connect to the internet, I have tried absolutely everything, but it also cannot open any storage external hard...
  4. Photo stick not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo stick not opening: So, I plug in my photostick 2.0 to my computer that runs WINDOWS 10. It is very full but I freed up 3GB because I knew I needed to install something for the photostick to work. I plug the thing in, I hear the sound it makes when you lug in a new device, but I don’t see it in...
  5. Photo stick not opening

Photo stick not opening: So, I plug in my photostick 2.0 to my computer that runs WINDOWS 10. It is very full but I freed up 3GB because I knew I needed to install something for the photostick to work. I plug the thing in, I hear the sound it makes when you lug in a new device, but I don’t see it in...
  6. Photo stick not opening

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. "Open with" preferences won't stick

"Open with" preferences won't stick: Hello everybody, whenever I instruct Windows 10 to open a certain file type with a certain program, the setting lasts a few minutes to a few hours, and then it reverts back to whatever Windows sees fit (i.e. Edge for PDFs, Photos for images...). This has been going on for a...
  8. "Open with" preferences won't stick

in Windows 10 Support
    "Open with" preferences won't stick: Hello everybody, whenever I instruct Windows 10 to open a certain file type with a certain program, the setting lasts a few minutes to a few hours, and then it reverts back to whatever Windows sees fit (i.e. Edge for PDFs, Photos for images...). This has been going on for a...
  9. memory stick

in Windows 10 Customization
    memory stick: my memory stick is encrypted on my new computer how do I un encrypted it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/memory-stick/43828c14-f6e4-448f-b6fd-7043aea766fc
  10. IE11 Opening Location will not stick.

in Browsers and Email
    IE11 Opening Location will not stick.: Is there a hint on how to keep my IE11 each time I open it from opening in the centre of my 24" screen. I have tried repositioning it and shutting down using the Red X but the next time I open it comes back to the centre. I have tried repositioning it and clicking File>Exit...