Windows 10: open with notepad

Discus and support open with notepad in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; when opening a GPX file I selected notepad and unintentionally clicked always open with this. I how do I undo this?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CharlieOxley, Jan 31, 2020.

1. open with notepad

when opening a GPX file I selected notepad and unintentionally clicked always open with this. I how do I undo this?

:)

CharlieOxley, Jan 31, 2020

2. Notepad

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps provided below:

• Open Task Manager. Here’s a tip: press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC.
    • Click on Startup tab.
    • Select Notepad from the list and click on Disable.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to write to us
    for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Bree Win User
    Notepad consuming cpu 40%

Your screenshot of Task Manager and the notepad.exe properties shows the same size and creation date as in @dalchina's earlier screenshot. So it looks like it is the real notepad that's running.

But - it isn't running the way it should. In your Task Manager there should be a > to the left of notepad, and clicking on it should open up a list of the Notepad instances that are running, along with the name of the document that's open (or 'Untitled - Notepad' if none).

Yours doesn't show that (compare it with dalchina's screenshot). Notepad is running - yes, but not the way it's supposed to. It appears to be in the list of background processes, not in the list of Apps where it should be. Could something be trying to run it as a service? Perhaps some malware set this up, but failed to replace the genuine notepad.exe with its counterfeit one?

As a first step I'd look at the Startup tab in Task Manager for clues.

4. john barr Win User

open with notepad

Notepad consuming cpu 40%

i dont know what the problem is , looks like i need to format C

john barr, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

open with notepad

1. open with notepad - Similar Threads - open notepad

2. Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...: Yesterday, in the late afternoon, my Dell G7 15 laptop, running windows 11, was working fine. Late in the evening, it started to fail. When I try to open a folder, the desktop becomes black, the task bar disappears; then, moments later, the desktop and taskbar reappear. I...
  3. Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot open any folders or run notepad on Windows 11 Dell G7 laptop. When I try, taskbar...: Yesterday, in the late afternoon, my Dell G7 15 laptop, running windows 11, was working fine. Late in the evening, it started to fail. When I try to open a folder, the desktop becomes black, the task bar disappears; then, moments later, the desktop and taskbar reappear. I...
  4. Notepad is popping up whenever I open my PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad is popping up whenever I open my PC.: Please can one find the solution on this and if possible, please tell me also......."Notepad is popping up when I start my PC, and it creates and stores data in Notepad every time. I think in my PC notebook is creating these automatically due to any of the internal commands...
  5. Notepad is popping up whenever I open my PC.

Notepad is popping up whenever I open my PC.: Please can one find the solution on this and if possible, please tell me also......."Notepad is popping up when I start my PC, and it creates and stores data in Notepad every time. I think in my PC notebook is creating these automatically due to any of the internal commands...
  6. Notepad Windows 11 Keeps crashing...where do I find the opened Notepad files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notepad Windows 11 Keeps crashing...where do I find the opened Notepad files?: Notepad on Windows 11 opens up, and then crashes. I had a number of notepads with important information.I can see the information in the notepads as they open up, the windows lay on top of each other, then the software promptly crashes. I can't navigate in time to save...
  7. Notepad Windows 11 Keeps crashing...where do I find the opened Notepad files?

Notepad Windows 11 Keeps crashing...where do I find the opened Notepad files?: Notepad on Windows 11 opens up, and then crashes. I had a number of notepads with important information.I can see the information in the notepads as they open up, the windows lay on top of each other, then the software promptly crashes. I can't navigate in time to save...
  8. I don't have an option to open new tabs in notepad

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have an option to open new tabs in notepad: I just upgraded to Windows 11 primarily because I heard that it has an option to open new notepads in tabs. I do not see this option, nor is there any setting option to enable this feature....
  9. I don't have an option to open new tabs in notepad

I don't have an option to open new tabs in notepad: I just upgraded to Windows 11 primarily because I heard that it has an option to open new notepads in tabs. I do not see this option, nor is there any setting option to enable this feature....
  10. Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE and apps such as Calculator, Notepad, Paint etc. not opening

Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE and apps such as Calculator, Notepad, Paint etc. not opening: I've wasted many hours googling for a Windows 11 problem which presented itself in the following form:Microsoft Store error 0x800706BE appearing when trying to update appsCouldn't open Notepad, Paint, Calculator and other basic Windows appsIn the Start Menu some Windows apps...