Windows 10: "Open with" option disappears from file context menu when selecting multiple files

Discus and support "Open with" option disappears from file context menu when selecting multiple files in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Any way to fix this? Even if all selected files have the same extension, the option is still missing. submitted by /u/Shajirr [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Shajirr, Jan 29, 2021.

1. "Open with" option disappears from file context menu when selecting multiple files

Any way to fix this?

Even if all selected files have the same extension, the option is still missing.

submitted by /u/Shajirr
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Shajirr, Jan 29, 2021

2. Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown "Open with" option disappears from file context menu when selecting multiple files :(

ArmoredCavalry, Jan 29, 2021
  3. Windows 10 - "Open with" missing from Context menu when multiple (mp3, m4a) files are selected

Windows 10 Home, Version: 1511, Build 10586.36

(Mine is not an insider edition; it is the free Windows 10 upgrade edition)

When multiple files are selected (whether they are MP3s, M4As; or PDFs, DOCXs), there is no "Open with" option in the Context menu.

[Note: all files selected are from the same category--all audio, or all word documents, or all pdfs; and not from different categories: for example, a word document is not being selected with an audio file.]

For example, on my computer:

Groove Music is the default player for m4a type

WMP is the default player for mp3 type

But the two players can play both the types.

And I use the "Open with" option in the Context menu to choose the non-default player.

But I can do this only when a file is selected singly.

When multiple files are selected, there is no "Open with" option in the Context menu, meaning I cannot choose the non-default player.

Is this an intentional omission, or can users add the "Open with" option to Context menu for multiple file selections?

As much as for individual file selection, the "Open with" option is important for multiple file selections to be able to get a choice of non-default applications; especially with audio formats.

I do not necessarily want to change my default player for the formats; I just want to be able to change the app using "Open with" no matter how many files have been selected.

The following may be slightly related to the above.

I understand that the "Add to playlist" option on the Explorer window's "Play" tab is tied to WMP, not the Groove Music app. But, I noticed:

When a mix of mp3 and m4a files are selected together, I can launch WMP using

1. the "Add to playlist" option on the Explorer window's Play tab

2. the "Add to Windows Media Player list" in the context menu

But I have to select the mp3 files first, before selecting any m4a files.

If an m4a file is selected first, the first option is greyed out, and the second is not available in the Context menu.

I find this behavior curious.

Hatshepsut, Jan 29, 2021
  4. "Open with" option disappears from file context menu when selecting multiple files

Add option to context menu to open file type

By default, Windows will open a MIDI file with Windows Media Player on double-click. This is fine. However, I'd like to add the option to open MIDI files to the context menu (right click).

As it is, to open a MIDI file with MuseScore (my current preferred software), I have to do: Right click > Open With > Choose Another App > More apps > (scroll to find MuseScore) > OK.

This is too many steps. How can I get the context menu to offer MuseScore as an option in it's menu - or at least as an option in "Open With"?

Thanks!

gntsketches, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

"Open with" option disappears from file context menu when selecting multiple files

1. "Open with" option disappears from file context menu when selecting multiple files - Similar Threads - Open option disappears

2. How to enable open in new tab context menu when selecting multiple folders?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to enable open in new tab context menu when selecting multiple folders?: Is it even possible to open multiple folders to new tab in File Explorer? It works when only a single folder is selected. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-open-in-new-tab-context-menu-when/ff455870-934c-4cf7-8ec1-769000757159
  3. How to enable open in new tab context menu when selecting multiple folders?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to enable open in new tab context menu when selecting multiple folders?: Is it even possible to open multiple folders to new tab in File Explorer? It works when only a single folder is selected. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-open-in-new-tab-context-menu-when/ff455870-934c-4cf7-8ec1-769000757159
  4. "Open with" from the context menu not showing all options to open file particularly a .blg...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open with" from the context menu not showing all options to open file particularly a .blg...: So, a user was upgraded to a new PC with Windows 11 they had a device with Windows 10 previously. This user has to use several versions of the same modeling software for .blg files. On the user's old machine, they were able to use the context menu to select the version of...
  5. "Open with" from the context menu not showing all options to open file particularly a .blg...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open with" from the context menu not showing all options to open file particularly a .blg...: So, a user was upgraded to a new PC with Windows 11 they had a device with Windows 10 previously. This user has to use several versions of the same modeling software for .blg files. On the user's old machine, they were able to use the context menu to select the version of...
  6. Unable to 'Open With' multiple files in context menu - missing functionality?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to 'Open With' multiple files in context menu - missing functionality?: I'm a designer/developer. I regularly need to select multiple JPG files to open in Photoshop, multiple HTML files to open in Dreamweaver/other browsers etc, multiple PDFs to open at once etc. However, unlike OSX, Windows 10 is incapable/unable. The option to 'Open With'...
  7. File explorer context menu disappearing on multiple items

in Windows 10 Support
    File explorer context menu disappearing on multiple items: I couldn't find anyone posting about this anywhere but I'm sure everyone will be able to replicate it easily. It's not a big deal but it has bugged me for years now, it didn't happen on Windows 7. Either, drag highlight a bunch of files and/or folders and quickly right...
  8. Context Menu Option to Concatenate Audio Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Context Menu Option to Concatenate Audio Files: It seems like, in Windows 7 or maybe XP, I used to have a tool or tweak that would create a right-click option to immediately merge two audio (especially .wav and .mp3) files, producing a single output audio file that would contain both (or all of) the selected input files,...
  9. Add option to context menu to open file type

in Windows 10 Support
    Add option to context menu to open file type: By default, Windows will open a MIDI file with Windows Media Player on double-click. This is fine. However, I'd like to add the option to open MIDI files to the context menu (right click). As it is, to open a MIDI file with MuseScore (my current preferred software), I have...
  10. Options missing from file context menu.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Options missing from file context menu.: when I go to file explorer and open a file and I want to cope or deleted it I right click on the file and and window open up and I cant see the words to fine cope or deleted. How do I change it so I can see the words when I right click. ***Title changed from: [missing...