Windows 10: "Open with" options different on latptop & desktop

Discus and support "Open with" options different on latptop & desktop in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi I have a lot of PDFs on my drives, I often want to open them with Word. Irritatingly, this option is prominent on my desktop when I right-click:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by oldhasbeen, Jun 27, 2019.

1. "Open with" options different on latptop & desktop

Hi

I have a lot of PDFs on my drives, I often want to open them with Word. Irritatingly, this option is prominent on my desktop when I right-click:

"Open with" options different on latptop & desktop f3b1a9ed-8a50-4e55-8de5-02f9f87064f2?upload=true.png

But on my laptop it isn't, so I have to go to "use another app"

"Open with" options different on latptop & desktop 2a78e563-b548-474e-aa97-6a71f1f4892a?upload=true.png

Any ideas what causes this difference?

Thanks!

:)

oldhasbeen, Jun 27, 2019
  2. tdehan Win User

Open With opens with different application then the one selected

Can someone please provide the steps to fix this? This is maddening!

I just upgraded to Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 and now it doesn't even show up in the list of Open With applications.

I don't want Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 to be the default application to open image files as I use numerous different applications to work on my images. I just want it to be an option in the Open With list.

How do I get Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 to show up in the list of Open With applications and how do I confirm that when I select it to open a file it actually opens instead of some different application.

Thanks

tdehan, Jun 27, 2019
  3. MohanC Win User
    windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jun 27, 2019
  4. "Open with" options different on latptop & desktop

Opening the same application on a different desktop opens it on the desktop it was first used on. Microsoft, *please* let us use the same applications on different desktops.

So here is the thing: the entire point about using multiple desktops is that we get to separate our windows into different "activities". One Ubuntu, for example, I use a desktop for work and another for personal things so that I don't have to deal with all
    of them when I'm working.

On windows this is a hassle.

Here are the steps to reproduce the issue I'm facing:

• Open Google Chrome on a desktop.
    • Make a new desktop (Win + Ctrl + D, or go to task view and click "New Desktop")
    • Open Google Chrome again in the new desktop.
    Now, you would want Windows to open a new Google Chrome window on the new desktop -- because of course, we could use Chrome for several things and we'd want to separate the stuff related to work from other things such as watching a random music video. This
    should be simple, right? Not with Windows.

Instead of creating a new application window in the new desktop, Windows takes me back to the
    original desktop where the application was first opened.

It's just very annoying to see how Windows missed a very simple thing.
    No one
    -- and I repeat, no-one uses multiple desktops to separate applications. We use multiple desktops to separate use-cases! This problem has been here for years and several others have pointed it out -- but it's 2018 and there's
    still no fix yet.

Peace10295, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

"Open with" options different on latptop & desktop

1. "Open with" options different on latptop & desktop - Similar Threads - Open options different

2. Opening the same application on a different desktop opens it on the desktop it was first...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening the same application on a different desktop opens it on the desktop it was first...: So here is the thing: the entire point about using multiple desktops is that we get to separate our windows into different "activities". One Ubuntu, for example, I use a desktop for work and another for personal things so that I don't have to deal with all of them when I'm...
  3. Opening the same application on a different desktop opens it on the desktop it was first...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Opening the same application on a different desktop opens it on the desktop it was first...: So here is the thing: the entire point about using multiple desktops is that we get to separate our windows into different "activities". One Ubuntu, for example, I use a desktop for work and another for personal things so that I don't have to deal with all of them when I'm...
  4. How to open the same application on a different desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to open the same application on a different desktop?: So far the only answer by Microsoft to this recurring question which has popped up over the years in many different posts is to simply lock those posts to conveniently sweep the issue under the rug, allow you to vote on the question to conveniently sweep the issue under the...
  5. How to open the same application on a different desktop?

How to open the same application on a different desktop?: So far the only answer by Microsoft to this recurring question which has popped up over the years in many different posts is to simply lock those posts to conveniently sweep the issue under the rug, allow you to vote on the question to conveniently sweep the issue under the...
  6. How to open the same application on a different desktop?

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Different icons on Different desktops

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Different icons on Different desktops: when are we getting this feature it's pointless to have diffrent desktops with the same icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-icons-on-different-desktops/ab2ab73b-5d94-4e6d-8675-252a364894d8
  8. Different icons on Different desktops

Different icons on Different desktops: when are we getting this feature it's pointless to have diffrent desktops with the same icons https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/different-icons-on-different-desktops/ab2ab73b-5d94-4e6d-8675-252a364894d8
  9. Different icons on Different desktops

Different icons on Different desktops: Hi all, Just wondering as i just got a new laptop with Windows 11 if i can install different icon shortcuts in different desktops.It appears each new desktop clones the icons from the last.It would be good to switch to a different desktop and see different icons altogether...
  10. Virtual Desktop cannot open same application on different desktops

in Windows 10 Customization
    Virtual Desktop cannot open same application on different desktops: The virtual desktop feature in Windows 10 doesn't distinguish between the same application running on different desktops. For example: I open three files in Notepad++ on desktop 1. Later I open a file in Notepad++ to desktop 2. Instead of opening the file in a new instance of...