Windows 10: "Open with" preferences won't stick

Discus and support "Open with" preferences won't stick in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everybody, whenever I instruct Windows 10 to open a certain file type with a certain program, the setting lasts a few minutes to a few hours,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Bitman, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Bitman Win User

"Open with" preferences won't stick

Hello everybody,

whenever I instruct Windows 10 to open a certain file type with a certain program, the setting lasts a few minutes to a few hours, and then it reverts back to whatever Windows sees fit (i.e. Edge for PDFs, Photos for images...).

This has been going on for a few months now, with v1809 and now also with v1903, both on my desktop and laptop PCs.

This is really driving me nuts. Thee have been a few reports of the same problem on the 'net but none of the solutions provided worked for me. When I was still on 1809 I contacted the MS assistance and gave a rep remote access to my PC, he said it was an installation problem and my PC needed a refresh install, but I didn't let him proceed (I'm quite sure I can't be having the same installation problem on both my PCs); when the 1903 update came around, amounting (correct me if I'm wrong) to a Windows overhaul, nothing changed anyway.

Is there a fix to this exasperating problem?

Thanks

:)

Bitman, Aug 3, 2019
  2. tops Win User

Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

tops, Aug 3, 2019
  3. windows 10 apps won,t open

Hi Robert,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

We appreciate you for trying the troubleshooting steps.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: Run Windows app troubleshooter.

Refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Step 2: Run shell commands for Windows store and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select
      Command prompt(Admin)
      to open elevated Command prompt.

• Type the following commands.

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

• Hit enter, the blackscreen will appear still for a couple of seconds. After a couple of second a new line saying C:\.... will appear.

• Close Command Prompt.

• Try to start the Windows Store again.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Aug 3, 2019
  4. stefanlee Win User

5800 Xpress, podcasting won´t open! Aaargh

So it has happened twice, that the podcasting feature simply won´t open. No probs with radio or music player, but the podcaster just blinks and nothing more. I´ve done two hard resets (wich worked) but I don´t like to have to redo EVERYTHING when it happens.

Why does my phone act this way?

/Stefan

stefanlee, Aug 3, 2019
Thema:

1. "Open with" preferences won't stick - Similar Threads - Open preferences won't

2. Printer sharing won't 'stick'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Printer sharing won't 'stick': I share my printer and exit the window. The printer is still not shared. When I go back in to printer properties I can share it all over again and it still is not shared....
  3. Printer sharing won't 'stick'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Printer sharing won't 'stick': I share my printer and exit the window. The printer is still not shared. When I go back in to printer properties I can share it all over again and it still is not shared....
  4. Photo stick not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo stick not opening: So, I plug in my photostick 2.0 to my computer that runs WINDOWS 10. It is very full but I freed up 3GB because I knew I needed to install something for the photostick to work. I plug the thing in, I hear the sound it makes when you lug in a new device, but I don’t see it in...
  5. Photo stick not opening

Photo stick not opening: So, I plug in my photostick 2.0 to my computer that runs WINDOWS 10. It is very full but I freed up 3GB because I knew I needed to install something for the photostick to work. I plug the thing in, I hear the sound it makes when you lug in a new device, but I don’t see it in...
  6. Photo stick not opening

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Daylight Savings Won't Stick

in Windows 10 Customization
    Daylight Savings Won't Stick: Hi, I posted about this before, but people stopped responding to me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-doesnt-update-to-daylight-savings-time/8b8bed9e-67f6-4813-8449-a95bcabc4a56. Running Windows 10. Daylight savings doesn't "stick." When I sync...
  8. "Open with" preferences won't stick

"Open with" preferences won't stick: Hello everybody, whenever I instruct Windows 10 to open a certain file type with a certain program, the setting lasts a few minutes to a few hours, and then it reverts back to whatever Windows sees fit (i.e. Edge for PDFs, Photos for images...). This has been going on for a...
  9. My Preferences do not stick.

in Windows 10 Customization
    My Preferences do not stick.: I go to Settings and type "What's my version?" Search Results answer? No results for what's my version. So, why don't you make it easy to find my version? I go to Settings and type in winver and Search Results answer is "no results for winver" My problem is I need to...
  10. 'open with' not sticking

'open with' not sticking: If I set a movie to open with WMP (or VLC) using open with - choose another app - always use this app to open .mp4 files it sticks while my pc is on, but next day when I click an mp4, Films + TV opens (ditto for mpg, mkv etc). Same happens with images. I used a reg...