Windows 10: "Open With" select program don't stay selected

Discus and support "Open With" select program don't stay selected in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello... I have a Jpeg file and when I use Open With and select what program I want to use to open the file, put a check mark to always use this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Paul9O5, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Paul9O5 Win User

"Open With" select program don't stay selected

Hello... I have a Jpeg file and when I use Open With and select what program I want to use to open the file, put a check mark to always use this program it doesn't do such. It will open the file with the program I selected, but once I close the program and try to reuse it again, windows open it with the original program not the program I placed a check mark on to use

I'm using the Latest windows 10. I just done a fresh clean installation of 10

:)

Paul9O5, Oct 4, 2018
  2. Shanester Win User

How do I select AutoPlay program?

Greetings,

How do I select a program in AutoPlay?

When I go to Settings > Devices > AutoPlay, the Removable drive options are:

• Take no action
    • Open folder to view files (File Explorer)
    • Ask me every time
    • Configure this drive for backup (File History)
    • Configure storage settings (Settings)
    How do I select a program?

If I select "Ask me every time", and then insert a music CD, I get a notification:

DVD RW Drive (E"Open With" select program don't stay selected :) Audio CD
    Select to choose what happens with audio CDs.

If I click the notification, this box appears:

DVD RW Drive (E"Open With" select program don't stay selected :) Audio CD
    Choose what to do with audio CDs.
    • Play audio CD
      Power Media Player 14
    • Play audio CD
      Windows Media Player
    • Take no action
    However, the program I want to run isn't in the list. How do I select it? Someone else asked a similar question. The answer there was to make the desired program a default program first, and then it would appear in the list. Unfortunately, I don't have the option to specify my own program for the default music player.

Thanks,
    Shane.

Shanester, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Chuck38 Win User
    Issue with selecting programs from taskbar

Hi Johnny and welcome to TenForums,

I think I may be able to help you with this, but before we move on to a possible solution make sure you take some precautionary steps first.

You're going to want to back up the registry, the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key to be exact. To do that follow the steps below.

First, it's always a good idea to make a system restore point to be able to restore to, you can find instructions to do that here. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-restore-point

How to back up the registry. (All the steps listed below can be found here.)

1. From the Start menu, in the search box, type regedit.exe, and then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    2. In Registry Editor, locate and right-click on the HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    3. Click File > Export.
    4. In the Export Registry File dialog box, select the location where you want to save the backup copy to, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name field.
    5. Click Save.

OK! We should be ready to safely move on! (All the steps below can be found here.)

1. Click start and type regedit in the search bar and hit enter.
    2. Navigate to HKey_Current User\Control Panel\Desktop
    3. Check for ForegroundFlashCount on the right pane.
    4. The default value should be 3. If it is not set correctly then modify it.

Hope that works!

-Chuck

Chuck38, Oct 4, 2018
  4. "Open With" select program don't stay selected

Links are require I select application to ope

Hello,

We understand you are concern, we'll certainly assist you with this.

I suggest you to refer the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys, select
      Control Panel.
    • Select Default Programs, Select
      Associate a file type or a protocol with a program.
    • Associate the protocol (File extension) respective to your need of browser or a program and check.
    Hope this helps, let us know the status of the issue.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

"Open With" select program don't stay selected

1. "Open With" select program don't stay selected - Similar Threads - Open select program

2. Strange program on startup selection?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Strange program on startup selection?: In startup there is this programe called "Mano" translating to "Mine" as in something is mine. So it has no icon, no corp., and it's not measured should I be concerned?...
  3. Strange program on startup selection?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange program on startup selection?: In startup there is this programe called "Mano" translating to "Mine" as in something is mine. So it has no icon, no corp., and it's not measured should I be concerned?...
  4. Program specific GPU selection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Program specific GPU selection: My setup consists of a 3080 and a quadro p2000. I'm trying to get the p2000 to work with a CAD program (SolidWorks), but every time I boot the program it always defaults to the 3080. The only way to run off the p2000 is to disconnect the 3080 completely. Even if there are no...
  5. Windows 10 - Selected text does not stay selected

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 - Selected text does not stay selected: When I initially click and drag to select text, then release the left mouse in preparation for the next step, whatever that might be, the highlighting disappears. This happens repeatedly, in Word, on the Internet, in Excel, in OneNote, wherever on the computer since the...
  6. Text Selection Not Staying Selected / Color Profile Won't Stay Active

in Windows 10 Customization
    Text Selection Not Staying Selected / Color Profile Won't Stay Active: I have a Lenovo laptop and just recently upgraded back to Windows 10 and now I can not select (highlight) text and let up on the touch pad and have the text remain selected. It goes right back to being unselected. I try again, and same thing happens. Eventually it will...
  7. file explorer won't stay open at selected file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    file explorer won't stay open at selected file: I would like the file tree to stay open at a selected file until I'm done working in that file! Is there a switch in settings that I can change?...
  8. Program auto select in powershell

Program auto select in powershell: Hello everyone I'm beginner programming powershell, now i want to program powershell auto select card wifi in Sharing tab, when my customer open file *.ps1 .Powershell will auto select card wifi and customer don't need select, can everyone can help me :( , Thanks very much....
  9. Problem with opening selected files/programs/folders

Problem with opening selected files/programs/folders: Heres my problem, Normally and befeore the problem starst - when I selected some files using CRTL or SHIFT button, and then double click lets say some photo, windows opens only the file i doubleclicked. Now when I select even 20 and more files and doubleclick the last...
  10. Multiple Selection -> Open With?

in Windows 10 Support
    Multiple Selection -> Open With?: Let's say I want to multiple files at once with a specific app. I selected multiple files, and then right click. Where is the open with option? How can I fix this? 31640