Windows 10: Open yet minimized program, does not open by clicking on desktop icon

Discus and support Open yet minimized program, does not open by clicking on desktop icon in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When I already have a program thats open yet minimized, its in the toolbar at the very bottom with a blue bar below the program icon. I have a browser... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mark4x4, Jan 31, 2020.

1. mark4x4 Win User

Open yet minimized program, does not open by clicking on desktop icon

When I already have a program thats open yet minimized, its in the toolbar at the very bottom with a blue bar below the program icon. I have a browser and OpenOffice. When I click on the desktop icon for the browser, and its already opened and minimzed, it still opens a new browser window. Not so with OpenOffice, doesnt open the existing window for OpenOffice.

Sometimes I just dont notice it, and yet try to keep clicking the icon on the desktop to open it and nothing happens.

Is there a way to make the program open by clicking on the desktop icon even though the program is already opened but minimized.

Windows 10 with current updates
    HP SFF

- - - Updated - - -

I can't edit my original post. But what I wanted to add, was when I click on the icon on the desktop (with the program minimized), the arrow cursor will change to the circle likes its doing something, but doesnt do anything. It does it for a good second.

Probably not something most people are interested in, but I tell you I get caught trying to open via desktop and I just keep clicking it and clicking it, not realizing its already opened in the tray at the bottom. Tried it with a second OpenOffice file open, does the same thing.

Definitely an oddity for W10!

:)

mark4x4, Jan 31, 2020

2. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

Win 10 Pro x64 1607, Classic Start desktop, setting=single-click open, system drive is fast SSD

As detailed in another thread, I've had problems going from 1511 to 1607, but have settled in with the latter for the past week. To try to sort a couple of problems, I ran a in-place repair install last night. Since then, opening desktop icons has become a big problem:

- programs icons are either very slow to open on a single click - 30 secs to minutes - or do not respond at all to the first click, but require a second one to open (not a double click). Some are not responding at all and I've been doing reinstalls to see if that's the problem.

- icons are often opening another one entirely, typically the last one closed; e.g., I just opened an Excel file linked on the desktop, then closed it and then clicked on the link to open this browser. It reopened the Excel file and the browser. In other cases, it just opens the last one alone. In the cases of Fences, double clicking on the desktop opened the last program used (and closed). This type of thing has happened numerous times.

- it appears that after the first opening, the icon or related icons in the case of a file manger (XYplorer) with a number of icons on the desktop, starts responding normally. Perhaps there's a clue in that?

- this does not affect taskbar icons or programs opened from within file managers

Since this started, I've run sfc /scannow, Windows 10 Manager and Tweaking.com's Windows Repair, the latter suggested on the 1511 to 1607 thread and best to stay away from. None have improved the situation.

This is bizarre. Any ideas short of a clean install?

Update: I did a system restore back to before the repair install, but the desktop issues continue.

highstream, Jan 31, 2020
  3. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, Jan 31, 2020
  4. Open yet minimized program, does not open by clicking on desktop icon

Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

In Safe Mode, I see the folders and everything else as normal, and programs and other files open with a single click. Since the clean boot takes a bit more work, I'll get to it sometime soon. For now, screenshot of desktop in Safe Mode (I have a feeling this iconless desktop was caused by the Tweaking.com utility suggested on another thread for dealing with a variety of 1607 problems).

Open yet minimized program, does not open by clicking on desktop icon [​IMG]

highstream, Jan 31, 2020
Thema:

Open yet minimized program, does not open by clicking on desktop icon

1. Open yet minimized program, does not open by clicking on desktop icon - Similar Threads - Open yet minimized

2. Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app: When I click on a taskbar icon of a program I'm viewing it doesn't minimize. My old computer did this. Is there a setting I can change to make this happen?...
  3. Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app: When I click on a taskbar icon of a program I'm viewing it doesn't minimize. My old computer did this. Is there a setting I can change to make this happen?...
  4. Clicking taskbar icon does not minimize app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. clicking desktop folder does not open the folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    clicking desktop folder does not open the folder: I have set up a desktop folder with shortcuts to files I use frequently. But when I double-click on this folder, file explorer opens to Quick Access instead of directly to the contents of the folder. How do I fix this? I'm running Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.19042. Thanks....
  6. Remote desktop does not open some programs.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Remote desktop does not open some programs.: when I'm using remote desktop on my android cell phone and i try to run some programs they don't work, how i can fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-does-not-open-some-programs/64900cf4-c0bf-4c39-87b8-3782377321c7
  7. Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will.

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons won't open programs, taskbar will.: Hello; This is a new build for my daughter. Version Build 19041. Initially, icons opened files with no problem. After a couple of restarts, none will work. If I pin any of them to the taskbar, they open just fine. Same goes for opening them from the start menu. Of course,...
  8. Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item

in Windows 10 Customization
    Open desktop icon with a right click then use the Open menu item: After the latest feature update to my Win 10, if I right click on any desktop icon and try and open the app with the Open command, there is no response. I can still open the app with a double mouse click. Some setting seems to have changed with the upgrade?...
  9. Desktop icons not opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop icons not opening: Many of my Desktop icons including browsers, email accounts and bank sites will not open. I took the computer to a Tech and he hooked it up and everything opened. I brought the computer home and the icons won't open. Frustration has set in. Can anybody help? Care...
  10. Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop icons not responding on first click, opening other icons: Win 10 Pro x64 1607, Classic Start desktop, setting=single-click open, system drive is fast SSD As detailed in another thread, I've had problems going from 1511 to 1607, but have settled in with the latter for the past week. To try to sort a couple of problems, I ran a...