Windows 10: Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane

Discus and support Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; When I open a folder in the Windows Explorer, despite having the "Expand to current folder" option ticked off, the navigation panel will add a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KidaJiwo, Jun 23, 2020.

1. KidaJiwo Win User

Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane

When I open a folder in the Windows Explorer, despite having the "Expand to current folder" option ticked off, the navigation panel will add a "Desktop" or "Downloads" shortcut under This PC.

In this screenshot, on the left is how it looks like after opening folders and on the right how it looks when I open a new window. I'd like the navigation pane to stay like it is on the right side of the image.

Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane e9d95477-bb37-43c9-96fb-ea8e3cd14888?upload=true.png

On my previous Windows 10 installation it didn't function like this and if possible I'd like to disable it.

:)

KidaJiwo, Jun 23, 2020
  2. amymor Win User

add custom shortcuts to navigation pane

hello
    is there a way to adding custom files shortcut (not folders shortcut) to navigation pane? for example i want to add a shourtcut from explorer.exe to my navigatin pane.i knew about adding custom folders or control panel items to navigation pane,but my question is about shortcut from a exe file.so is it possible?
    thanks

amymor, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Hide or Show User Profile's Personal Folders in Navigation Pane

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help and time. Hopefully this write-up is succinct. Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane :)
    I believe there has to be additional registry modifications to solve this issue.

Problem:
    In the Navigation Pane, specifically regarding the Current User folder tree, a Personal Folder (i.e. 3D Objects, Contacts, Desktop, etc... ) continues to show even after making active the Hidden property for that Personal Folder.

Expected Results:
    Any Personal Folder that is marked "Hidden" in the File/Folder Listings Area should also be hidden in the Navigation Pane specifically within the Current User folder tree.

Steps to recreate the issue: (the following steps assume that the option is deactivated to see hidden folders.)
    1. Open File Explorer
    2. Within Navigation Pane, Right-click over any blank area
    3. Select menu-option "Show All Folders"
    4. Select and Expand the Current User folder tree which is listed as a child object to the "Desktop" folder
    5. Within the File/Folder Listings Area, Right-click on a Personal Folder
    6. Select menu-option "Properties"
    7. Within the new Dialogue window, Select the "General" tab, Select to Activate the Attribute "Hidden", Select the "OK" button
    8. Close File Explorer and then Open File Explorer
    9. Select the Current User folder in the Navigation Pane
    10. Notice the recently-hidden folder is still showing in the Navigation Pane even though it is hidden in the File/Folder Listings Area.

System Specs:
    • Edition: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    • Version: 1709
    • OS Build: 16299.371
    • Hard Drives: 2 (SSD & Mechanical)
    • C:\ = SSD
    • D:\ = Mechanical

Current Modifications of System:
    • The %UserProfile% system folder was successfully transferred to D:\ by using Sysprep during Windows Setup. This is the only system folder moved to another drive.

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Navigation Pane: (using Regedit)
    • Hidden = Quick Access
    • Hidden = Libraries
    • Hidden = OneDrive
    • Hidden = Homegroup
    • Hidden = This PC user personal folders

Current Modifications of File Explorer in Folder/File Listing Area:
    • Each unwanted Personal Folder was changed to "Hidden" by Right-clicking the folder and Checking the Attribute checkbox marked "Hidden".

3rd-Party Software Installed:

• Classic Shell
    • Mozilla Firefox
    • IObit Driver Booster
    • Macrium Reflect

TechGuy737, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane

How to add custom folders to File Explorer > Navigation Pane > Desktop

After installing Dropbox, I notice that there's now a custom link to the Dropbox folder in my File Explorer > Navigation Pane > Desktop list (see screenshot below).

Does anyone know how I can add such (sym?)links to other directories on the computer?

Specifically looking for ways to add to list in the "Desktop" section of Navigation Pane... not the "Quick access" list.

Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane [​IMG]

My thinking is... I'd like to consolidate shortcuts to my custom cloud storage folders. Right now there's OneDrive (built in to W10) and Dropbox, and I'd like to add similar links for my Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, etc. directories. Trying to have them all appear together under "Desktop", rather than split between Desktop and Quick Access.

AdamW10NYC, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane

1. Opening a folder adds shortcut under This PC in the navigation pane - Similar Threads - Opening folder adds

2. Navigation pane shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Navigation pane shortcut: To control the navigation pane in File Explorer a user must click view > show > navigation pane. I understand that there is no keyboard shortcut built in Windows 11 to perform that operation. However, could someone please reply with instructions on how I could create my own...
  3. Navigation pane shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Navigation pane shortcut: To control the navigation pane in File Explorer a user must click view > show > navigation pane. I understand that there is no keyboard shortcut built in Windows 11 to perform that operation. However, could someone please reply with instructions on how I could create my own...
  4. Adding shortcuts to navigation pane

in Windows 10 Customization
    Adding shortcuts to navigation pane: Hello In the past I had managed to add shortcuts in my Computer/Video folder in my navigation pane the left vertical bar, but I don't remember how to do this. Be careful, I'm not talking about putting shortcuts in Quick Access I never use that. Here's a screenshot it's a...
  5. Add specific folders to Navigation Pane

Add specific folders to Navigation Pane: Win10 Home x64 build 18363.836 Hello! With a lot of help from you all and many tutorials, I got my new Win10 system up and running, and set (for the most part) the way I like it. A few things I have not been able to find tutorials on (I'm sure they exist, I just haven't...
  6. add custom shortcuts to navigation pane

add custom shortcuts to navigation pane: hello is there a way to adding custom files shortcut (not folders shortcut) to navigation pane? for example i want to add a shourtcut from explorer.exe to my navigatin pane.i knew about adding custom folders or control panel items to navigation pane,but my question is about...
  7. Remove duplicate links under This PC in navigation pane

in Windows 10 Support
    Remove duplicate links under This PC in navigation pane: I'd like to know if it's at all possible to remove links from quick access that are duplicated under This PC once you access them from quick access. [img] In this scenario I opened documents in quick access and it duplicated itself under This PC. This will happen with...
  8. Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Navigation Pane - Will Not Expand to Open Folder: Like the title says, I cannot get the navigation pane to expand to the currently open folder right now on one of my machines, it stays stuck on either Desktop or Quick Access. And mainly when navigating one of the virtual folders, like "My Documents". I think I need to go...
  9. Modify Folder Icons Under "This PC" In Explorer/Navigation Pane

Modify Folder Icons Under "This PC" In Explorer/Navigation Pane: As well directed by Brink I am starting this thread here as I was working off a tutorial with changing Library Icons when this problem came up, for your referencing delight ->> Change Library Icon in Windows 10 I was able to get the library icons changed however I am...
  10. Add Recent Folders and/or Links/Favorites to Navigation Pane

Add Recent Folders and/or Links/Favorites to Navigation Pane: I hope I'm not duplicating known information here. I've seen adding shortcuts for these folders to Quick Access, but not rooted in the Navigation Pane. Here is what I've got now: [img] Critical info regarding display in Navigation Pane was found here:...