Windows 10: Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365

Discus and support Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I saved a number of email using Outlook 365 File - Save as function. I now can't open the .MSG file. Outlook can't open it and Googling for an answer I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sigurd, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Sigurd Win User

Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365

I saved a number of email using Outlook 365 File - Save as function.
    I now can't open the .MSG file.
    Outlook can't open it and Googling for an answer I find File Viewer Plus in the Microsoft store but it won't open it either unless I pay for the upgrade!
    I don't usually quibble about upgrading "free" software for better features but I do balk at having to pay Microsoft for an app to open a file created by a Microsoft app!
    There must be a way of opening a MSG file created by Outlook within Microsoft software. Notepad, Outlook or Word won't.

:)

Sigurd, Jan 8, 2019
  2. newtekie1 Win User

Outlook PST File Problem

That is exactly what I was going to suggest. Export everything to another PST file, delete the old(or rather move it out of the default folder) and replace it with the new PST file that you exported.

newtekie1, Jan 8, 2019
  3. scopio Win User
    Outlook does not create new OST file in folder in ForceOSTPath.

Hi JJG10
    I did managed to move the .ost data file from C:\users\****\Appdata\local\Microsoft\Outlook to G:\Users\***\Documents\Outlook Files for an IMAP account following the next steps;

1. Removed the email account from Outlook, (the Data File will be removed by default). The email account and Data File MUST be removed before you create the ForcePSTPath key AND the ForceOSTPath!
    2. Close Outlook
    3. Deleted the file in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\email address.ost file.
    4. Opened the Registry, navigated to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook
    5. I created both the String Value:ForcePSTPath key AND the ForceOSTPath and the Value data to read D:\Users\Username\Documents\Outlook Files
    6. Powered off the pc.
    7. Powered on the pc
    8. Opened Control Panel > Mail > E-mail accounts > Account settings > New and added the IMAP account Manually (Do not use Add new mail account from within Outlook!)
    9. When the account was added the Data File was created in the D\:Users\Username\Documents\Outlook Files
    10. Open Outlook and it will update the account.

Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365 [​IMG]

Hope this is helpful.

scopio, Jan 8, 2019
  4. esmorax Win User

Windows 10 Office 365 cannot open files from: recent file list

Thanks for the tip! I followed all above steps.

So far I can open files from the Recent files list when I enter Word itself, however I still am unable to open any documents using the Word icon pinned to the taskbar:

Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365 [​IMG]

-

esmorax, Jan 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Opening a .MSG file created by Outlook 365 - Similar Threads - Opening MSG file

2. Outlook not opening saved .msg files while open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Outlook not opening saved .msg files while open: Hello all,I have saved a template email that I use every month to my desktop from outlook. I can have outlook email open when I save the file, and when open the file from my desktop for the first time. However, when I close the .msg file and try to open it again with my email...
  3. Outlook not opening saved .msg files while open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Outlook not opening saved .msg files while open: Hello all,I have saved a template email that I use every month to my desktop from outlook. I can have outlook email open when I save the file, and when open the file from my desktop for the first time. However, when I close the .msg file and try to open it again with my email...
  4. Creating an Alias in Microsoft Outlook 365 Home

Creating an Alias in Microsoft Outlook 365 Home: Hello all! Thank you for being here. I want to know if it is POSSIBLE to create an Alias for Outlook 365 Home? I found information here about how to crate an Alias for a Business Account,...
  5. outlook 365 will not open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    outlook 365 will not open: after new update microsoft edge update outlook 365 will not open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/outlook-365-will-not-open/dfa09557-ac05-4998-9c10-d997535d228d
  6. Outlook 365 opens to File rather tha Home

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Outlook 365 opens to File rather tha Home: Office 365, Windows 10 version 1909.770. For years I have had Outlook 365 open to the Home tab on the ribbon. After the latest update it insists on opening the File tab. How do I get it to revert to opening to the Home tab? Thank you 154513
  7. import outlook ost file into outlook 365

import outlook ost file into outlook 365: import outlook ost file into outlook 365 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-outlook-ost-file-into-outlook-365/71d73c46-8c71-4d6b-9b78-537990f59d3a
  8. Cannot open outlook on 365

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Cannot open outlook on 365: I lost power, so the computer shut down. On restart, of Outlook 365 it begins loading. I get a pop-up saying "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The operation failed. Now what?...
  9. Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the Outlook: Outlook does not open the .pst file created by the outlook ... there are important emails. made by the archive outlook 2007 .pst, copied to a USB flash drive. Then reset the system, set the same office 2007. Now I want to recover the mail data (they are very important) ......
  10. Msg "Opening ...."

in Browsers and Email
    Msg "Opening ....": Clicking on a shortcut icon on desktop, or in any of the app anchored to the toolbar , it runs but I get this message [img] How to avoid this? Thanks in advance 58610