Windows 10: Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus

Discus and support Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; (Firstly, the "Choose A Flair" pop-up barely appears at the bottom of the screen when trying to submit a post to this subreddit using the latest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Shock_a_lot, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus

(Firstly, the "Choose A Flair" pop-up barely appears at the bottom of the screen when trying to submit a post to this subreddit using the latest version of Firefox. Why is the top field over 900 pixels? I had to change it to 500 in the DevTools just to be able to select anything. Mods, please fix this.)

Windows 10 Home (version 20H2)

This custom-built computer is about a month old, and this issue has been occurring since Windows was installed. There were no third-party programs of any kind yet; I was in the process of browsing and downloading the installers when I discovered this issue.

This occurs for the most recent versions of Chrome, Firefox, and Edge, regardless if a browser window is already open.

Steps: - I right-click a web browser icon that is pinned in the taskbar. - I select an option in the top half of the list (new window, new private window, or even new tab). - The action proceeds, creating a new tab/window, but the browser window will not have focus, even if I opened a new tab in this manner while I already had the focus on the browser window. The focus is automatically shoved to the very back of the focus queue.

At this point I could press Shift + Alt + Tab to get to it (one of the more awkward keyboard shortcuts). For Chrome and Edge, the icon on the taskbar will be blinking. For Firefox, the icon won't blink.

Expected behavior: The browser window opens, and I could then immediately type in the address bar or use keyboard shortcuts to open a new tab, which was the behavior of WinXP through Win7.

After extensive research, trial, and error, I found nothing that helped. I only found two other places online that talked about the issue:

https://www.tenforums.com/browsers-...loses-focus-when-opening-through-taskbar.html

https://superuser.com/questions/1571369/opened-windows-dont-have-focus-on-windows-10

Forcefully uninstalling Edge will only make it work if the same web browser window is already open when you click to open a new one. This was unreliable anyway.

Absolutely nothing appears in the Windows Focus Logger when I do the steps above.

What could possibly be the reason for this?

(Crossposted with /r/techsupport)

submitted by /u/Shock_a_lot
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Shock_a_lot, Dec 19, 2020
  2. Christy() Win User

Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening

I got a new PC yesterday.

On my old PC, if I right-clicked on a browser icon in my taskbar and selected 'New Window' or 'New InPrivate Window' or 'New Tab' or anything along those lines, upon seeing that window open, I would see the cursor blinking in the search bar and could begin
    typing.

On this new PC, if I perform those same actions to open a new window or tab, I still see the cursor blinking in the search bar but my focus stays stuck on the task bar icon that I used to invoke the program, so when I start typing, nothing happens at all.
    I need to manually click in the window to give it focus so that I can type into it. If there are currently no windows open yet for the program, and I simply just left-click the taskbar icon to open a session, it lets me type in it just fine. It just seems
    to be the 'right-click icon > left-click menu option' that won't give focus to the window when it opens. I made a taskbar icon for Notepad so I could try the same thing, and it seems to let me type in there just fine without clicking into it first regardless
    if I left-click the icon to open it or right-click then select a menu option to open it, but not in any of the web browsers I try.

The behavior is the same regardless of whether I use Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc, so I don't believe it a problem with a specific browser not having focus upon opening. This issue feels more on the Windows side. I'm using Windows 10 Professional edition.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Christy(), Dec 19, 2020
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    Browser (Edge & Firefox) loses focus when opening through taskbar

Mine works as advertised, FF New Window/incognito opens with focus right to Search. Always has. How do you have this set? This for Fir fox, look at the Chrome equivalent.

Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus [​IMG]

I just checked Chrome, it words as advertised, also. I do not use it much so am not familiar where the setting may be. But it does focus on search with open new window using the taskbar right-click.

f14tomcat, Dec 19, 2020
  4. Naki Win User

Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus

Feature suggestion: Add right-click menu

Suggestion: Please add a Windows 7 Jump-List and/or right-click menu to the GPU-Z icon in the Windows taskbar. Possible menus in it would be "Exit" and "About GPU-Z...".
    Maybe also "Switch to tab 1/Switch to tab 2/Switch to videocard 1/Switch to videocard 2" too.
    Examples of programs that have such menus are ICQ, Skype, AIM.

NOTE: It seems for a right-click menu, Windows 7 is not needed - it works on WinXP and Vista too.
    But even a Windows 7 Jump-list may be good enough.
    What do you think?

Thema:

Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus

1. Opening a new web browser window via the taskbar menu does not give it focus - Similar Threads - Opening web browser

2. web browsers wont open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    web browsers wont open: i have been using chrome for a while now and it worked perfectly and it still does but i wanted to switch to other browsers but whenever i open them they are open for split second then they crashthis doesnt happen for chrome or microsoft edge but it does happen for opera and...
  3. web browsers wont open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    web browsers wont open: i have been using chrome for a while now and it worked perfectly and it still does but i wanted to switch to other browsers but whenever i open them they are open for split second then they crashthis doesnt happen for chrome or microsoft edge but it does happen for opera and...
  4. web browsers wont open

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem)

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't give focus to open windows from the Taskbar (?KB5005033 problem): If I have multiple windows open, in the taskbar they are collected together under one icon "File Explorer". No problem. However, since this week's patch Tuesday, I can no longer click on that icon to select one of them from a list and activate it. Windows just flashes up the...
  6. No web browsers opening

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    No web browsers opening: For the past few weeks barely any of my web browsers have been opening. When I try to open chrome, Firefox or opera, a blank windows appears for half a second and the app never opens. The only browsers that seem to be working are Vivaldi and edge. submitted by...
  7. Browser (Edge & Firefox) loses focus when opening through taskbar

in Browsers and Email
    Browser (Edge & Firefox) loses focus when opening through taskbar: Hi, I recently realized a small problem that is getting to me: every time I open a new tab in a browser, be it Edge or Firefox, I'm used to click to open it and start typing what I want to search, but it is not working like this anymore, when I open the new tab, it won't come...
  8. Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Browser search bar does not have focus upon opening: I got a new PC yesterday. On my old PC, if I right-clicked on a browser icon in my taskbar and selected 'New Window' or 'New InPrivate Window' or 'New Tab' or anything along those lines, upon seeing that window open, I would see the cursor blinking in the search bar and...
  9. Web browser does not work

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Web browser does not work: I have problems with my web browser. Mozilla Firefox freezes very frequently and sometimes closes unexpectedly. Help me please solve this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/web-browser-does-not-work/c0190ceb-1503-4991-a830-77038815a80e
  10. Windows 10 is not giving focus to gamebar when it is opened.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 is not giving focus to gamebar when it is opened.: A recent annoyance. When i open Gamebar, it is no longer given focus so that i cannot select options in it with a controller, and if i am in a game, i must enter the menu or chat (making it so the mouse\touch-pad no longer is used for looking in game) in order to use the...