Windows 10: Opening a website with Cortana on a Windows 10 desktop computer

Discus and support Opening a website with Cortana on a Windows 10 desktop computer in Cortana to solve the problem; I spent a couple of hours looking for the answer to my question... "how to open a website with Cortana". I found a relevant discussion about it,... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by BobZeiss, Nov 10, 2018.

1. BobZeiss Win User

Opening a website with Cortana on a Windows 10 desktop computer

I spent a couple of hours looking for the answer to my question... "how to open a website with Cortana". I found a relevant discussion about it, but the Microsoft Community failed to answer it correctly. I tried all the ideas and suggestions and all Cortana would do is open Bing and do a search for the name of the website I gave her. Very frustrating. Nothing worked, the thread was closed, no correct answer was ever given. How pathetic.

So, I took it upon myself to find the answer to what should have been a very simple thing to do, you think. This is the real solution that actually works.

First thing is to make sure Cortana is accepting voice commands using "Hey Cortana". If not go into Cortana settings and turn this on.

Start by opening File Explorer and then navigating to the folder where Windows 10 stores your program shortcuts: C:\Users\{your user name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Settings.

Opening that folder should display a list of program shortcuts and subfolders. In this example, we want to add a shortcut to a website, so right-click any empty space in the File Explorer window, click New > Shortcut, enter the URL for the website (http://mywebsite.com) then click Next and give it the name you want to call it. Don't use browse.

Repeat this process for any other websites you want to add. These custom shortcuts won't appear in the Start Programs list. (maybe they will after I restart my computer, have not done that yet.)

To open the website with Cortana, say LAUNCH {the name you gave the shortcut}, and it should find it and open for you in your default browser. Don't say OPEN, you must say LAUNCH. Make sure the voice recognition has spelled the name correctly. If not, rename it or say it differently.

Hope this helps all those that were frustrated with this, as I was.

:)

BobZeiss, Nov 10, 2018
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 10, 2018
  3. Cortana is not opening on Windows 10

Hi,

We need few details to assist you better,

• What exactly happens when you try to open Cortana?

• Did you made any recent changes to you computer?
    As initial step, Please refer the below link and check:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ubleshoot-problems-opening-start-menu-cortana

Hope it helps. Get back to us with the status of your issue we will be glad to help you.

Thank you.

Krishna Priya V, Nov 10, 2018
  4. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Nov 10, 2018
Thema:

1. Opening a website with Cortana on a Windows 10 desktop computer - Similar Threads - Opening website Cortana

2. Websites Opening at will

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Websites Opening at will: Recently, while I am on any website, if I click anything a new window opens up with a website I didn't request. This has become very regular and is quite irritating. What has changed and can I reverse this?...
  3. Websites Opening at will

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Websites Opening at will: Recently, while I am on any website, if I click anything a new window opens up with a website I didn't request. This has become very regular and is quite irritating. What has changed and can I reverse this?...
  4. Websites Opening at will

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Website on windows 11 desktop

Website on windows 11 desktop: Can you save your favourite website on windows 11 desktop please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/website-on-windows-11-desktop/22be9755-eab9-40ca-8615-17385b82c658
  6. Website not open in window 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Website not open in window 10: Hi. My website is performing well in window 7 but when i open it in window 10 it show a window system error and not open my website https://embroiderymachinebest.com properly. Kindly solve my issue. Thanks...
  7. Some websites are not opening in windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Some websites are not opening in windows 10: I am not able to access some of website in windows in any of broswer wheather it is edge, chrome or other browser it say connection time out https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/some-websites-are-not-opening-in-windows-10/184407ca-ac97-4824-9e45-1d905769da0f
  8. Website not open in window 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Website not open in window 10: Hi. My website is performing well in window 7 but when i open it in window 10 it show a window system error and not open my website https://coinmasterfreespinslinks.com/ properly. Kindly solve my issue. Thanks...
  9. desktop icons not opening the website

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop icons not opening the website: we recently had the problem of Yahoo taking over our Google chrome search engine, I some how got rid of Yahoo but now when we click on desktop icons the website does not open, it just goes to google search engine...
  10. Cortana opening websites

Cortana opening websites: On the other account on my PC if i type something like golf.com it will open directly to it, but on my account it brings me to a bing web search. How do i get it to open directly to the website? 10352