Windows 10: Opening embedded files in Word 2016

Discus and support Opening embedded files in Word 2016 in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I receive files created in Word 2013 containing embedded files. When I open the files in Windows 2016 there is no Enable Editing button in the bar at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by MichaelSherley, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Opening embedded files in Word 2016

I receive files created in Word 2013 containing embedded files. When I open the files in Windows 2016 there is no Enable Editing button in the bar at the top of the document. I am therefore unable to open the embedded files. How can I open such embedded files, please?

:)

MichaelSherley, Mar 12, 2019
  2. Aberjona Win User

Word 2016 -- Word can't open a file

I've got a 95-page file sent out to authors for review. I've made several dozen comments/questions to author to answer. Upon receipt of file back from the author, I try to open and get "We're sorry. We can't open [file] because we found a problem with its
    contents." I click on the Details button and get

"Details

Unspecified error

If I click OK, I get

"Word found unreadable content in [file]. Do you want to recover the contents of this document? If you trust the source of this document, click Yes."

When I click Yes, the file opens but many (if not most) of the comments I'd made have now disappeared except for a dotted line leading from the now-empty comment "box" to the place within text that my comment referred to. Any changes that the author made
    to the actual text show, but if the author made a reply to one of my comments, it's invisible -- I have no way to tell. Also when I've clicked Yes, there is now a dialog box that says

"Show repairs

Errors were detected in this file, but Word was able to open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to make the repairs permanent."

[and then there's a list like the following:]

Comments 1

Footnotes 1

Footnotes 10

Footnotes 11

Footnotes 12

Footnotes 13

Footnotes 14

If I click on the "Go to" button, nothing happens except the "Close" button is highlighted. "Close" does nothing.

The file in question was apparently originally created in Macintosh Word; I edited it in Word 2016; the review was in Macintosh Word, fwtw. (Oh, and if I try to open this file in Macintosh Word, much the same results occur: comments disappear and are incomplete.)

I never had this problem in Word 2010 but, since going to Word 2016 a few months ago, this problem has cropped up more than once.

Aberjona, Mar 12, 2019
  3. Word 2016 -- Word can't open a file

Tell us the following:

• How did you send/receive the file? what email?
    • What is the platform your opening this file to (Android, IOS, Mac, Windows)
    • Have you tried opening this file in Word online?
    • Is this the only cope that you have?

- Rasheed Opening embedded files in Word 2016 :)

Rasheed Mandeep, Mar 12, 2019
  4. Opening embedded files in Word 2016

pdf of Word 2016 File shows non-embedded fonts which weren't used

Hi JT,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

I can understand the situation must be difficult for you when the application doesn't work as it should.

Please answer this question to get more clarity on this issue:

• Do you have Adobe software suite installed on the computer?

However, follow these methods to check if that helps.

Method A: As you are exporting the file as PDF, suggest you to open the Word Doc and go to File >Print > under printer option select Print to PDF. Check if that helps.

Method B: After creating a document, go to File >Save as > select PDF under save as type > Select Standard (publishing online and printing) option in the Save As dialog > click on Options> Uncheck Bitmap text when fonts may not be embedded.
    This will embed a subset of the font in the PDF, meaning that only the font characters actually used in your document are embedded. This normally makes it impossible to edit the PDF using the embedded font.

Now try to print this PDF to check if that makes any difference.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Mar 12, 2019
Thema:

Opening embedded files in Word 2016

1. Opening embedded files in Word 2016 - Similar Threads - Opening embedded files

2. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  3. Word file not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word file not opening: I had some encrypted MS word files. I updated window 7 and after that my word file is not opening neither showing any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-file-not-opening/16dd1194-5032-40cd-a707-e2c5daece2ec
  4. Why "save as" tab keeps opening on Word 2016?

Why "save as" tab keeps opening on Word 2016?: Laptop: ASUS X407MA-BV002T Windows version: Windows 10 The laptop was bought last year I don't have any Add-Ins. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-save-as-tab-keeps-opening-on-word-2016/166577f7-3fa7-4def-be0b-199760e8984e
  5. Outlook & Word 2016

in Windows 10 Customization
    Outlook & Word 2016: The last week or there abouts when I receive an email message in outlook it seems to play the default sound rather than the one I’ve assigned. The sounds ‘Desktop mail notification’ and ‘New Mail Notification’ were set back to default in control panel – sounds. So, I set them...
  6. Dictate Word 2016.

Dictate Word 2016.: Is there a program called dictate that I can download and use with Word 2016. If so where can I go to download it? Thank you in advance. Mike *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. Word 2016

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Word 2016: I am unable to open home page I have reinstalled the product but I still cannot open it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2016/1534d006-b45d-41a6-85c6-cb5274dcc1f4"
  8. I get this and Word 2016 will not open AppVlsvSubsystems32.dll

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I get this and Word 2016 will not open AppVlsvSubsystems32.dll: All I have done so far is try to go into the control panel and click repair but I am not given the option Any and all help will be appreciated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-get-this-and-word-2016-will-not-open/57c951ad-a89a-4ad7-a0c8-c22358967e1d
  9. word 2016 dissappeared

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    word 2016 dissappeared: I purchased word 2016 in 2016 and used it quite often to create quite a few documents and without notice or any action from me it disappeared along with my documents, how do I get it back?...
  10. Word 2016 hangs at saving file

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word 2016 hangs at saving file: Hello guys! I have Windows 10 build 1703 and Office 2016 x64 installed on it. When I try to save or print any Word file it hangs. When I diconnect from Internet - everything is fine. Could you please help me solving the problem? 87751