Windows 10: opening files

Discus and support opening files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am trying to create a Minecraft server and had to open a .jar file. when I clicked it, it said to create a association with default apps? I went to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by aliza1VA, Sep 28, 2020.

1. aliza1VA Win User

opening files

I am trying to create a Minecraft server and had to open a .jar file. when I clicked it, it said to create a association with default apps? I went to settings and default apps. I clicked choose by file type but .jar was not an option. I do not need this to be fixed urgently but it would be helpful if you could tell me how to set a default .jar opener. Thanks!

:)

aliza1VA, Sep 28, 2020
  2. Ketxxx Win User

opening .dds files with gimp

Simply, HOW? I got the DDS plugin but the POS wont open DDS files still. Can someone give me a step-by-step rundown of how to install the DDS plugin for gimp so I know if I'm missing something?

Ketxxx, Sep 28, 2020
  3. jaydeee Win User
    PowerPoint file crashes PowerPoint upon opening

since this happens in some of the computers only, suggest that you open the file on working computer and copy everything and paste to a new powerpoint file.
    most of the time it works to me. *Smile opening files :)

jaydeee, Sep 28, 2020
  4. opening files

"open with" and opening of files slow

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Since when are you facing this issue?
    2. Have you made any changes on your computer, prior to this issue?

To fix issues with Word documents opening slowly, I suggest you to attach a different template to the document and check if that helps. Follow the below steps to attach a templates.

Steps:-

1. Open Word application.
    2. Click on File and select Options.
    3. Select Add-Ins from the list.
    4. Under Manage Select Templates and click on
      Go.
    5. In the pop up, type Normal in the Document template.
    6. Click on Ok.

To fix issues with Adobe files opening slowly follow the below troubleshooting steps and check if that helps.

Steps:-

1. Open Adobe application.
    2. Click on Edit.
    3. Select Preferences option.
    4. Tap on General.
    5. Uncheck Enable protected mode at startup.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

opening files

1. opening files - Similar Threads - opening files

2. Cannot open .rar's with File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot open .rar's with File Explorer?: I tried to switch around some stuff because my .rar's opened as Windows Media Players application. I attempted to find the explorer .exe. I found it and it said this. [ATTACH]...
  3. pdf files on desktop or in open Explorer windows cause Windows icons to flash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    pdf files on desktop or in open Explorer windows cause Windows icons to flash: This is a repeat problem: When there is a .pdf file on my desktop or in an open Windows Explorer window, any visible icons flash i.e. in the folder, taskbar, etc.. In addition, CPU and power usage byWindows Explorer is extremely high. I previously diagnosed this to be...
  4. All .exe files opening in Blender, including the command prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    All .exe files opening in Blender, including the command prompt: I was using Blender for a project, and I tried opening its own file type in it, which is .blend, but it wasn't associated with that application. So I went to a .blend file's properties, and choose the app blender.exe for it to be opened in. Guess what, every program's icon...
  5. "Open with" always open the wrong file

"Open with" always open the wrong file: Hello all, I have problems with my "Open With" option in the right-click menu. It always opens the wrong file. Not the wrong program but wrong file. If I right click any files, e.g. "D:/123.c" , choose "Open With", then choose Notepad, it will always open the file...
  6. The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The Action Cannot Be Completed Because File Is Open In System (HELP): [ATTACH] So, I downloaded this font for a project of mine and now it just refuses to be deleted... Everything else works. I can rename it, move it, and duplicate it but can't delete it. I'm very confused and I've tried to look online for anyone else that had this issue but...
  7. Can't open files images and videos with a grey X

Can't open files images and videos with a grey X: I can't open some videos and photos because there is a grey X on them. When i try to open them i dont get any error message and nothing happens. Here you have a screeshot of what it looks like: [ATTACH]...
  8. How to open a .bundle file?

How to open a .bundle file?: I have a .bundle file that I want to extract. Is there a program that can do that? I've heard that Unity and Git can but I have no money and no experience for those. If I use Git, what commands do I enter?...
  9. When I open File Explorer (or search in windows search), I lose internet connection for 5...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I open File Explorer (or search in windows search), I lose internet connection for 5...: [ATTACH] Hello, I have internet problem on my computer. Computer configuration: Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2070 super, 16gb 3200mhz, MSI B450 gaming plus max, 1TB SSD).I have a USB network card TP-Link Archer T3U, the latest drivers from the official TP-Link website. The problem...
  10. Error trying to open files. Says my internet security settings has blocked one or more...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Error trying to open files. Says my internet security settings has blocked one or more...: Hello, ever since I recently updated windows, whenever I try to open or move one or more downloaded files, a message pop up say that "Opening these files maybe harmfil to your computer. Your internet security settings has blocked one or more files from being opened". How do I...