Windows 10: Opening my laptop lid would reset "multiple display" setting

Discus and support Opening my laptop lid would reset "multiple display" setting in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have been trying to use my laptop in "clamshell mode," using only an external display. I had no problem setting the power options to "do nothing"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by momoware, Aug 20, 2020.

1. momoware Win User

Opening my laptop lid would reset "multiple display" setting

I have been trying to use my laptop in "clamshell mode," using only an external display. I had no problem setting the power options to "do nothing" when the lid is closed. I also set my display setting to be "display only on [the external monitor]." However, whenever I open the lid of my laptop, either to turn it on after it's hibernated or force quit when windows is stuck, the display setting would reset itself to "extend these displays." My primary display is the external one.

Does anyone know if there's a solution to this? Much appreciated.

:)

momoware, Aug 20, 2020
  2. momoware Win User

I have been trying to use my laptop in "clamshell mode," using only an external display. I had no problem setting the power options to "do nothing" when the lid is closed. I also set my display setting to be "display only on [the external monitor]." However,
    whenever I open the lid of my laptop, either to turn it on after it's hibernated or force quit when windows is stuck, the display setting would reset itself to "extend these displays." My primary display is the external one.

Does anyone know if there's a solution to this? Much appreciated.

momoware, Aug 22, 2020
  3. Projector settings open with laptop lid

So I'm having a weird issue, when I closed my laptop lid in Windows 7 and re-opened it the screen would go black for a second and reset my cursor to the center of the screen. Weird issue that I couldn't find a fix for. Well I just upgraded to Windows 10, now when I close and re-open the laptop lid the projector/multi display settings open on the right side of the screen each time. Really strange issue. Any idea how to fix it? Thanks!

Guitar Rockher, Aug 22, 2020
  4. Opening my laptop lid would reset "multiple display" setting

How to prevent display settings from re-setting when laptop lid is opened?

Hi,

This is an issue I have with Windows 7, 8 and 10, that I can't believe hasn't been fixed yet!

I have my laptop connected to an external display via a Display Port cable (though the cable doesn't matter - it could be VGA or HDMI too). I usually set my external display as primary and shut my laptop lid to watch movies. In this state, the laptop screen
    is turned off.

However, if I open my laptop lid to just use the keyboard, the display settings all reset and my laptop display becomes primary again with the external display either in extended or duplicate mode or turned off (based on whatever was the last setting).

I would like the display configuration to remain the same when I open the laptop lid (external monitor as primary, laptop screen turned off) until I explicitly change the display settings.

This issue is not resolved by the "Do nothing when laptop lid is shut" settings, as my issue is with regards to opening the lid, not closing the lid!

I have searched far and wide for answers to this issue, but while other users have asked similar questions both on Microsoft and 3rd-party Windows blogs, no one has ever posted a fix or hack. I hope this time someone does.

Thanks and regards,

snoopmatix, Aug 22, 2020
Thema:

1. Opening my laptop lid would reset "multiple display" setting - Similar Threads - Opening laptop lid

2. Turn of system on opening laptop lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn of system on opening laptop lid: I want my laptop to turn of when I open the lid.I checked the settings and everything seems to be enabled already. Power options = enabled, regedit = enabled.Yet the laptop does not turn on, I have to press the power button to start the system.I have a MSI Raider GE76.Windows...
  3. Turn of system on opening laptop lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn of system on opening laptop lid: I want my laptop to turn of when I open the lid.I checked the settings and everything seems to be enabled already. Power options = enabled, regedit = enabled.Yet the laptop does not turn on, I have to press the power button to start the system.I have a MSI Raider GE76.Windows...
  4. Laptop Opening lid function

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Opening lid function: Hi every1 I would like to know whether there is an option by which I can switch on the laptop by just opening the lid without having to press the power button. Thank you...
  5. Opening laptop lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Opening laptop lid: Hi Its somthing weird happening my laptop When i open the lid of my laptop more than 90 deg it shuts down It wont happen anything if i open it less than 90 deg I even reinstalled windows but its still not working Email me if u want to see its video: *** Email address is...
  6. Display Closing Lid and Power Settings

Display Closing Lid and Power Settings: I was wondering about if there was any way for a setting to be changed so that: -If my computer is hooked up to a display (monitor), it would not sleep when I close the lid -If my computer is not hooked up to a display (monitor), it would sleep when I close the lid...
  7. Black screen upon opening my laptop lid.

Black screen upon opening my laptop lid.: Now as the name suggests, when I open my laptop lid after closing it, my screen is black. I've seen multiple solutions, most of which incorporate the use of ACPI Lid Power Management. When I attempt to change my ACPI Lid settings, I see no available tabs for power management,...
  8. Display settings not allowing multiple displays

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display settings not allowing multiple displays: Since the update yesterday in windows 10 insider, my settings in multiple displays is not functioning correctly. most boxes are blank, and with not allow me to extend display to all monitors? Brian...
  9. Display settings not allowing multiple displays

Display settings not allowing multiple displays: Since the update yesterday in windows 10 insider, my settings in multiple displays is not functioning correctly. most boxes are blank, and with not allow me to extend display to all monitors? Brian...
  10. Projector settings open with laptop lid

Projector settings open with laptop lid: So I'm having a weird issue, when I closed my laptop lid in Windows 7 and re-opened it the screen would go black for a second and reset my cursor to the center of the screen. Weird issue that I couldn't find a fix for. Well I just upgraded to Windows 10, now when I close and...