Windows 10: Opening programs on the extended monitor but not the main monitor

Discus and support Opening programs on the extended monitor but not the main monitor in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi all,I had the Windows 10 . My setup is a laptop with an extra monitor which set as Extended Display.The screen of the laptop is main screenNormally... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by OA Staff, May 12, 2021.

1. OA Staff Win User

Opening programs on the extended monitor but not the main monitor

Hi all,I had the Windows 10 . My setup is a laptop with an extra monitor which set as Extended Display.The screen of the laptop is main screenNormally , the programs should be opened in the main screen. But I realized that sometimes the programs were opening in the extended screen. If I want all programs will be opened in the main screen, what can I do ?

:)

OA Staff, May 12, 2021
  2. hnodo Win User

Files on extended monitor not opening

I just got a second monitor so that I could extend my desktop.

But when I drag a file to the extended monitor, it shows up as an icon on the desktop and when I click to open that file (PDF or Word so far), it opens on my first monitor and NOT on the extended monitor where the icon resides.

Please help! I cannot find the answer anywhere!

hnodo, May 12, 2021
  3. Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, May 12, 2021
  4. Vijay B Win User

Opening programs on second monitor, not main monitor

Hi,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

I would suggest you to try the following steps.

1. Right click a free area of the desktop, select "properties"

2. Click the "settings" tab

3. Click the mouse on the seconary monitor grapic,

4. UNCHECK the box "extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor"

5. Click the primary monitor graphic

6. Make sure that "use this device as primary monitor" is CHECKED

If you're not sure which is 1 and which is 2, tap the "identify" button. It should display a huge, gigantic "1" on the primary monitor.

Or if that does not work, right click the application on the Taskbar, click Move, then use the arrow keys to move the program. The mouse cursor locks to the program window and you can use the mouse to position the program
    on your screen, you just have to use the arrow keys initially.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other issues with Windows in future.

Vijay B, May 12, 2021
Thema:

1. Opening programs on the extended monitor but not the main monitor - Similar Threads - Opening programs extended

2. Stamp button is not capturing monitors in Extend mode but just the main display monitor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Stamp button is not capturing monitors in Extend mode but just the main display monitor: Hi all,I'm trying to sort the following problem:I have a laptop connected to 3 Monitors, all of them are using the same resolution, all of them are in Extend Mode and Monitor 1 is main display, laptop is closed.I would like to capture an in image located on Monitor 2 or 3...
  3. Stamp button is not capturing monitors in Extend mode but just the main display monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stamp button is not capturing monitors in Extend mode but just the main display monitor: Hi all,I'm trying to sort the following problem:I have a laptop connected to 3 Monitors, all of them are using the same resolution, all of them are in Extend Mode and Monitor 1 is main display, laptop is closed.I would like to capture an in image located on Monitor 2 or 3...
  4. Extended monitor

Extended monitor: When I’m using a secondary monitor with Extended Screen, the secondary monitor temporarily goes to the Home Screen when I peek at collapsed pages in the task bar. Is there a way to turn this off so the page on the secondary monitor does not go away?Thanks...
  5. Main monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Main monitor: Every once in a while my main monitor freezes. I have an HP Pavilion Desktop. I have to restart my graphics drivers every time this happens using Win+Ctrl+Shift+B, and although this works, I am looking for a permanent fix, and an explanation to the problem. Looking this...
  6. extended monitor

extended monitor: Hi, I'm trying to have a dual monitor, I'm currently using acer monitor 17inch. I accidentally change the resolution of the extended monitor to the recommended resolution of my laptop lenovo ideapad s145 which is not compatible to the extended monitor, now the extended...
  7. Extending Monitor

Extending Monitor: Hi all, I have just bought a PC and I am wanting to extend the monitor to another monitor, however when I go to do this my PC informs me that the only display is my graphics card and does not pick up any monitors. How do I solve this?...
  8. Monitor extend

Monitor extend: I have an issue with monitor extend. When I tried to extend the monitor, the monitor didn't react properly, it looks like the monitor is freeze but the cursor is visible and you can moving the cursor but when I tried clicking on an object on the screen or use right click...
  9. extending monitors

extending monitors: I have 2 additional monitors connected to my pc, when I try to extend the display to the 3 one in advanced display settings says its not active, how do I make all 3 displays active?...
  10. Forcing a program to open on the second monitor rather than the main

in Windows 10 Support
    Forcing a program to open on the second monitor rather than the main: I have my TV connected to HDMI and a small, old monitor connected to VGA on a Radeon 4600 video card. I have Kodi (multimedia player) set to open full screen when the default user account logs in and it does so on the main monitor which is my TV. I have the smaller, older...