Windows 10: Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that?

Discus and support Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, i noticed that with time the context menues on my machines takes longer and longer to open. The effect is dependend in which folder i am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Detzi88, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Detzi88 Win User

Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that?

Hi there,

i noticed that with time the context menues on my machines takes longer and longer to open.

The effect is dependend in which folder i am on my system like the desktop, downloads or documents. So for the desktop i cant notice any slow down sub 1 second to open while in the downloads or decuments it takes up to 30s until the context menue has opened. Once "loaded" it is back to normal but it needs to reload eventually and when i change location say from the downloads to the documents folder it also needs to reload again, taking 30s each time to open.

I have activated several context menue extentions, these are: Visual-Studio-Code, Tortoise-SVN and 7zip but these where installed from the start and didn't slow down the menue at least at the beginning. In fact i reinstalled windows and redid my setup, which does fix my problem, but reinstalling seems a bit drastic of a measure.

I am running a EVO870 with a i7-8700k so i doubt that hardware is the bottleneck here.

All i can find in the interwebs is that i shall edit my registry disabling context menues. Is there any officially recommended way to deal with this problem, or has anyone some hints on how to debug this?

Thanks in advance!

Detzi

:)

Detzi88, Mar 29, 2020

2. Issue with opening properties in context menu

Ignoring the fact that my "issue" was bloody self-explanatory.

1. I am not able to open ANY properties for ANY particular file or folder. Give me a step by step fix, please.

2. No, I did NOT get any error messages. Yet, my properties cannot be opened in context menu. Give me a step by step fix, please.

3. No, I did NOT make any recent changes before the issue started.
    Give me a step by step fix, please.

My properties cannot be opened in context menu. Give me a step by step fix, please.

Just give me the location please., Mar 29, 2020
  3. Issue with opening properties in context menu

Original Title: properties

My properties cannot be opened in context menu. Give me a step by step fix, please.

Just give me the location please., Mar 29, 2020
  4. Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that?

Custom context menu entries

So, just throwing this out there, in case somone knows.

I have added a custom context menu entry for the program rightload, since by default the menu is broken in vistax64.

It works pefect with single files, but when I select mutiple files and try to open, I get mutiple instances of the program (which makes sense), here is my entry:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rightload\Rightload.exe --server=1 --autostart %1

So the %1 passes the filename to the program, and when I select multiple files it is just opening multiple instances of rightload each with a different file.

What I'd like to do is be able to pass a list of the files selected to the program. Since I know it is capable of uploading multiple files from the context menu, all in one instance.

So, is there something I can pass besides %1 that will do this? I have looked around and can't seem to find an answer anywhere... *Frown Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that? :(

ArmoredCavalry, Mar 29, 2020
Thema:

Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that?

1. Opening the context menue takes forever. How to fix that? - Similar Threads - Opening context menue

2. File Explorer takes forever to open

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Explorer takes forever to open: Idk if it's something I've done, but right after updating Windows today the File Explorer takes 20-30s to open when I click it on the taskbar. However if I click a folder on the Desktop it opens immediately. Anyone else having the same problem or knows how to solve it?...
  3. Laptop taking forever to open Windows

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop taking forever to open Windows: For the past few days, it takes about 25 minutes for my laptop to boot up and the login page to appear. Once I've logged in, everything is basically okay. I've tried chkdsk /f, running virus checks, going back to previous restore points and disabling unnecessary startup apps,...
  4. Laptop taking forever to open Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop taking forever to open Windows: For the past few days, it takes about 25 minutes for my laptop to boot up and the login page to appear. Once I've logged in, everything is basically okay. I've tried chkdsk /f, running virus checks, going back to previous restore points and disabling unnecessary startup apps,...
  5. Context menu when right-clicking on files and folders takes forever to load.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Context menu when right-clicking on files and folders takes forever to load.: I have this weird issue that started earlier this afternoon where when I right-click on any file or folders, it takes quite a while for the pop-up menu to show up. Right-clicking on the desktop or on empty spots in folders or shortcut files is working normally but it only is...
  6. context menu 'open' video

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    context menu 'open' video: When i right click on a video and select open my video opens in windows media player. I would like to edit the open value in the registry so it opens in another program. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where this 'open' value would be. I have found 'open...
  7. File Explorer - takes forever to open

in Windows 10 Support
    File Explorer - takes forever to open: File Explorer has always opened immediately (for 20 odd years). Suddenly it (Quick Access) takes so long that it's just not worth trying to use it (but of course one must). Anyone have any ideas about how Explorer could be affected by a recent update or other event? Or...
  8. open with notepad context menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    open with notepad context menu: Code: ;notepad [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell] @="\"notepad.exe %1\"" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open] @="Open &With Notepad" [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\open\command] @="notepad.exe %1"[/quote] the above dont seem to give me open with notepad in context menu unlike in win7. any...
  9. Network map context menu (Fix Icon and context menu)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network map context menu (Fix Icon and context menu): For all those that have a blank icon in network router and the non working network map feature as it is removed from windows 8/10 (this plug and play driver bug never got corrected from microsoft, imo) here is a reg file that fixes both of the 3 problems. Just copy those...
  10. How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to fix 'Open with' on file context menu.: I have a few file extensions where the 'Open with' option is not working. When I right click on these extensions I get an 'Open with' option with an arrow that just produces another 'Open with' instead of a list of other programs that can open the particular file extension....