Windows 10: Opening .txt attachments

Discus and support Opening .txt attachments in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I received an attachment in my email that is a .txt and I can not open it. What do I need to do open it?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JeanetteHill1, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Opening .txt attachments

I received an attachment in my email that is a .txt and I can not open it. What do I need to do open it?

:)

JeanetteHill1, Aug 16, 2018
  2. Aceman.au Win User

.txt will open open in Command Prompt

I don't know why but no matter what I do .txt will only open in CMD prompt and I have right click and go to open with every time which is annoying cause I use .txts a lot for noting stuff down in.

Aceman.au, Aug 16, 2018
  3. temp02 Win User
    .txt will open open in Command Prompt

I miss the Windows XP file association manager, it allowed you to select which of the commands would be executed when you double click a file (open, print, edit, etc...), it was removed since Vista.
    Some good people created the Types application, which you can use to select the default action of the file double click, all you go to do is select the "txt" extension from the list, right mouse click, hit "Properties" and on the "Actions" tab right click "open" command and assign "Default" to it.
    Hopefully this will solve your problems, although I think your PC is probably infected with some kind of malware that will continuously change that setting back, so I also advise installing some anti-virus like MSE or NOD-32 and preform a full scan.
    Good luck.

temp02, Aug 16, 2018
  4. Opening .txt attachments

will not open attachment in an email

Hi Dave,

There are some factors that we need to consider regarding your concern about opening email attachments. To properly diagnose this issue, we would like to know more about the issue by asking the following questions below:

• How do you access your Email?
    • If you are using a browser, have you tried using a different browser?
    • Have you also tried to clear the cache and cookies of your browsers?
    • What is the last action taken before this issue happens?

If you are using an Outlook application to open emails, we suggest that you follow the steps provided in this

article
    . You can follow the steps provided in the issue #1.

Let us know the result if you need further assistance.

Anthony Gal, Aug 16, 2018
Thema:

Opening .txt attachments

1. Opening .txt attachments - Similar Threads - Opening txt attachments

2. .txt files not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    .txt files not opening: So I've made a python script which basicly just created .txt files. And nothing happened, my program worked and suddenly today I cant open txt files because it sais Widnows cant find the file. But if I do Open With and then sth like Visual Studio Code, it works. And yes in...
  3. .txt files not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .txt files not opening: So I've made a python script which basicly just created .txt files. And nothing happened, my program worked and suddenly today I cant open txt files because it sais Widnows cant find the file. But if I do Open With and then sth like Visual Studio Code, it works. And yes in...
  4. Every time i open a txt file it opens recent txt files also

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Every time i open a txt file it opens recent txt files also: So when I start my pc the first time I open any txt file it opens all the recent txt files I have opened like from the day before then after I close them all and try to open again any txt file it opens the txt file and the most recent txt file also. I noticed this bug after i...
  5. Every time i open a txt file it opens recent txt files also

Every time i open a txt file it opens recent txt files also: So when I start my pc the first time I open any txt file it opens all the recent txt files I have opened like from the day before then after I close them all and try to open again any txt file it opens the txt file and the most recent txt file also. I noticed this bug after i...
  6. My txt file cannot be opened

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My txt file cannot be opened: I saved txt file with utf-8 to my server, editing it with crossing both window and samsung android phone.But the text file cannot be opened, and its capacity becomes 245kb to 1kb [I assume that texts were gone]Is this related with stability of txt file [when using in multiple...
  7. Can't open .txt files with notepad?

Can't open .txt files with notepad?: I recently installed VScode and it changed .txt files to open with it, but I wanted notepad back. I tried to go into the open with menu, but I was not there, so I click the "choose another app on this computer" button and selected notepad C:\Windows\System32\Notepad.exe, but...
  8. opening attachments

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening attachments: how can I open email attachments in PNG https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-attachments/33c93d30-c3a8-42b6-820b-3f9015b5e555
  9. How to open txt on Windows Phone?

How to open txt on Windows Phone?: I am facing a chicken and egg problem. I need to open txt, to copy/paste my passwords, but in order to do so, I need to download an app. But in order to do that I need to login to MS account, so I need to copy/paste? Any idea how to get out this pickle, maybe using a...
  10. Cant open .txt files

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant open .txt files: [ATTACH] I reset my computer and now i can't open .txt, does anyone know a fix for this? https://preview.redd.it/jrglaebub8551.png?width=1915&format=png&auto=webp&s=0741154ad1ae65247048f966f5ef82a0e0ee3816 submitted by /u/lemon094 [link] [comments]...