Windows 10: OpenSSH server not available any more on latest version of Windows

Discus and support OpenSSH server not available any more on latest version of Windows in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi folks If I'm using SSH from a remote system to access a Windows machine - seems the openssh server isn't available any more --only the client... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jimbo45, Jun 22, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

OpenSSH server not available any more on latest version of Windows

Hi folks

If I'm using SSH from a remote system to access a Windows machine - seems the openssh server isn't available any more --only the client

This means I can't ssh files INTO a remote non windows system FROM a Windows machine. (It works the other way around --i.e Windows openssh is a CLIENT. I.e If I'm on a Linux NAS and I want files from Windows --no good -- if I want to send files from Windows to NAS OK.

I need the NAS system to send scripts etc to Windows for running automated backups etc --this was working perfectly until recent versions of W10.

I don't want to di it manually via SAMBA etc !!!

Anyway to install the server component any more. (This used to be in programs and applications -- optional features in the dropdown. Now only the client appears not the server).

This ius what I see now when trying to install.

OpenSSH server not available any more on latest version of Windows [​IMG]

I prefer using sftp for file xfers - things like filezilla etc can't connect any more with the Windows machine from Non Windows systems. I don't like using the network file browser in Windows or Samba for this stuff --dftp with encryption is nice, fast and secure.

Ms is always rabitting on about security -- why remove a nice safe secure file xfer system (SSH server).

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jun 22, 2020
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

If I'm using SSH from a remote system to access a Windows machine - seems the openssh server isn't available any more --only the client

This means I can't ssh files INTO a remote non windows system FROM a Windows machine. (It works the other way around --i.e Windows openssh is a CLIENT. I.e If I'm on a Linux NAS and I want files from Windows --no good -- if I want to send files from Windows to NAS OK.

I need the NAS system to send scripts etc to Windows for running automated backups etc --this was working perfectly until recent versions of W10.

I don't want to di it manually via SAMBA etc !!!

Anyway to install the server component any more. (This used to be in programs and applications -- optional features in the dropdown. Now only the client appears not the server).

This ius what I see now when trying to install.

OpenSSH server not available any more on latest version of Windows [​IMG]

I prefer using sftp for file xfers - things like filezilla etc can't connect any more with the Windows machine from Non Windows systems. I don't like using the network file browser in Windows or Samba for this stuff --dftp with encryption is nice, fast and secure.

Ms is always rabitting on about security -- why remove a nice safe secure file xfer system (SSH server).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 22, 2020
  3. Diapolo10 Win User
    Having trouble getting the built-in OpenSSH server to work

Goal: I'm trying to set up the Windows built-in OpenSSH server (version 0.0.1.0, as I recall that being the latest one) in order to use my desktop PC remotely should I have the need for raw performance when on the road through a Windows
    10 laptop.

Problem: Despite following
    the official guide
    to the letter, when I try to run "Start-Service sshd" in PowerShell I get this error:

Code:
        Start-Service : Service 'OpenSSH SSH Server (sshd)' cannot be started due to the following error: Palvelun sshd avaamin    en tietokoneessa . epäonnistui.    At line:1 char:1    + Start-Service sshd    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],       ServiceCommandException        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand
    If I run the executable without "Start-Service", however, it runs and seemingly waits for connections, but according to the Services tab in Task Manager it's not actually doing anything at all, nor is there an SSH user account associated
    with it.

What I've tried:

• Restarting Windows (after every installation)
    • Uninstalling and re-installing both the server and the client (both from PowerShell and through the Settings application)
    • Switched to local account instead of a Microsoft account (suggested on a forum thread, tried the previous steps again)
    • Using an elevated PowerShell instance with admin rights

System information:

• Windows 10 Home, version 1809, build 17763.379
    • Hardware configuration:
      • CPU: i9-9900k @ 4.9GHz
      • RAM: 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
      • GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080
      • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A, BIOS version 0805

Let me know if other information is required.

Diapolo10, Jun 22, 2020
  4. Brink Win User

Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH

Source: Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH - Windows Developer Blog

Brink, Jun 22, 2020
Thema:

1. OpenSSH server not available any more on latest version of Windows - Similar Threads - OpenSSH server available

2. OpenSSH server not starting in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OpenSSH server not starting in Windows 11: I have installed and enabled, in principle, the OpenSSH server, according to the instructions that I read in several places for ex. here: https://woshub.com/connect-to-windows-via-ssh/ . When I try to start the server with Start-Service sshdI get 10 times"AVISO: Aguardando...
  3. OpenSSH server not starting in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OpenSSH server not starting in Windows 11: I have installed and enabled, in principle, the OpenSSH server, according to the instructions that I read in several places for ex. here: https://woshub.com/connect-to-windows-via-ssh/ . When I try to start the server with Start-Service sshdI get 10 times"AVISO: Aguardando...
  4. OpenSSH Windows Server 2019 - Restrict "Execute" Permissions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OpenSSH Windows Server 2019 - Restrict "Execute" Permissions: Hi,I'm having trouble finding resources configuring the OpenSSH read/write/execute permissions for Windows. Below are the sshd_config lines I currently have set. -----------------ChrootDirectory c:\directoryForceCommand internal-sftp X11Forwarding no AllowUsers...
  5. OpenSSH Server / client on W2K16 server

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    OpenSSH Server / client on W2K16 server: Hi there running a W2K16 server as a VM - seems the the optional features install don't include the openSSH server or client -- I'm using the Desktop experience standard edition of W2K16 server However using the powershell command from within the VM both products get...
  6. OpenSSH Server install is stuck

in Windows 10 Customization
    OpenSSH Server install is stuck: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] Machine is on a domain, thats how it gets logged in. Doesn't that imply that it knows where the WSUS is? Is there another reason? Theres a workaround on github that I'd rather not use. Does anyway know how to make this go?...
  7. OpenSSH server not available any more on latest version of Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    OpenSSH server not available any more on latest version of Windows: Hi folks If I'm using SSH from a remote system to access a Windows machine - seems the openssh server isn't available any more --only the client This means I can't ssh files INTO a remote non windows system FROM a Windows machine. (It works the other way around --i.e...
  8. Windows Server version 2004 Now Available

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Server version 2004 Now Available: Last week was exciting with //build. This week, the excitement continues with the general availability of Windows Server, version 2004 today. Windows Server, version 2004 is a Semi-Annual Channel (SAC) Release. In our most recent Windows Server SAC releases,...
  9. OpenSSH server configuration on Windows10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OpenSSH server configuration on Windows10: I am desperately trying to configure an openSSH-server on windows 10. I have followed serveral online tutorials but always get stuck with the keys. I have generated ssh_host_ed25519_key and ssh_host_ed25519_key.pub in C:\Windows\System32\OpenSSH. But when I try to start...
  10. Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH: The OpenSSH client and server are now available as a supported Feature-on-Demand in Windows Server 2019 and Windows 10 1809! The Win32 port of OpenSSH was first included in the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and Windows Server 1709 as a pre-release feature. In the Windows 10...