Windows 10: OpenSSH Server on Windows 10, using key instead of password with an Administrator account.

Discus and support OpenSSH Server on Windows 10, using key instead of password with an Administrator account. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I am past the point of getting OpenSSH server to run. I have disabled password ssh login and only use keys. Public key is in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sotai8, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Sotai8 Win User

OpenSSH Server on Windows 10, using key instead of password with an Administrator account.

So I am past the point of getting OpenSSH server to run. I have disabled password ssh login and only use keys. Public key is in c:/Users/user/.ssh/authorized_keys. It's already running, and I can connect remotely to a non-administrator user on the Windows machine with a key.

The problem is that I can't do the same for an administrator account. The key is in %programdata%/ssh/administrators_authorized_keys. I have followed these directions in an attempt to fix the possible permission issue:

https://github.com/PowerShell/Win32...-Win32-OpenSSH#administrators_authorized_keys

but there is no change. I still can't log into an administrator user:

: Permission denied publickey,keyboard-interactive.

Am I missing something else?

:)

Sotai8, Apr 11, 2021
  2. Diapolo10 Win User

Having trouble getting the built-in OpenSSH server to work

Goal: I'm trying to set up the Windows built-in OpenSSH server (version 0.0.1.0, as I recall that being the latest one) in order to use my desktop PC remotely should I have the need for raw performance when on the road through a Windows
    10 laptop.

Problem: Despite following
    the official guide
    to the letter, when I try to run "Start-Service sshd" in PowerShell I get this error:

Code:
        Start-Service : Service 'OpenSSH SSH Server (sshd)' cannot be started due to the following error: Palvelun sshd avaamin    en tietokoneessa . epäonnistui.    At line:1 char:1    + Start-Service sshd    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~        + CategoryInfo          : OpenError: (System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController:ServiceController) [Start-Service],       ServiceCommandException        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CouldNotStartService,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.StartServiceCommand
    If I run the executable without "Start-Service", however, it runs and seemingly waits for connections, but according to the Services tab in Task Manager it's not actually doing anything at all, nor is there an SSH user account associated
    with it.

What I've tried:

• Restarting Windows (after every installation)
    • Uninstalling and re-installing both the server and the client (both from PowerShell and through the Settings application)
    • Switched to local account instead of a Microsoft account (suggested on a forum thread, tried the previous steps again)
    • Using an elevated PowerShell instance with admin rights

System information:

• Windows 10 Home, version 1809, build 17763.379
    • Hardware configuration:
      • CPU: i9-9900k @ 4.9GHz
      • RAM: 32GB 3200MHz DDR4
      • GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080
      • Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z390-A, BIOS version 0805

Let me know if other information is required.

Diapolo10, Apr 11, 2021
  3. Brink Win User
    Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH

Source: Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH - Windows Developer Blog

Brink, Apr 11, 2021
  4. Brink Win User

OpenSSH Server on Windows 10, using key instead of password with an Administrator account.

Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH

Source: Windows Server 2019 Includes OpenSSH - Windows Developer Blog

Brink, Apr 11, 2021
Thema:

1. OpenSSH Server on Windows 10, using key instead of password with an Administrator account. - Similar Threads - OpenSSH Server using

2. A sign in option appears when trying to use my administrator account instead of password...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A sign in option appears when trying to use my administrator account instead of password...: A sign in option appears for my administrator account instead of password option which usually appeared. When I click on sign in same option comes again and again and I cannot access my administrator account. I tried hard reboot but it didn't worked. My guest still works well...
  3. A sign in option appears when trying to use my administrator account instead of password...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A sign in option appears when trying to use my administrator account instead of password...: A sign in option appears for my administrator account instead of password option which usually appeared. When I click on sign in same option comes again and again and I cannot access my administrator account. I tried hard reboot but it didn't worked. My guest still works well...
  4. OpenSSH server not starting in Windows 11

OpenSSH server not starting in Windows 11: I have installed and enabled, in principle, the OpenSSH server, according to the instructions that I read in several places for ex. here: https://woshub.com/connect-to-windows-via-ssh/ . When I try to start the server with Start-Service sshdI get 10 times"AVISO: Aguardando...
  5. How to : use scp to append public key from linuxclient to windows server with openssh...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to : use scp to append public key from linuxclient to windows server with openssh...: I am trying to copy a client key from LinuxUbuntu to Windows server as an administrator user. so far i am able to achieve this by using following steps1-4: > Note: I am using bash in linux and powershell 7.3.4 in windows as an administrator.1. Copy the public key from linux...
  6. How to : use scp to append public key from linuxclient to windows server with openssh...

How to : use scp to append public key from linuxclient to windows server with openssh...: I am trying to copy a client key from LinuxUbuntu to Windows server as an administrator user. so far i am able to achieve this by using following steps1-4: > Note: I am using bash in linux and powershell 7.3.4 in windows as an administrator.1. Copy the public key from linux...
  7. How to : use scp to append public key from linuxclient to windows server with openssh...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. [SOLVED] OpenSSH Server on Windows 10, using key instead of password with an Administrator...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    [SOLVED] OpenSSH Server on Windows 10, using key instead of password with an Administrator...: So I am past the point of getting OpenSSH server to run. I have disabled password ssh login and only use keys. Public key is in c:/Users/user/.ssh/authorized_keys. It's already running, and I can connect remotely to a non-administrator user on the Windows machine with a key....
  9. OpenSSH Server / client on W2K16 server

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    OpenSSH Server / client on W2K16 server: Hi there running a W2K16 server as a VM - seems the the optional features install don't include the openSSH server or client -- I'm using the Desktop experience standard edition of W2K16 server However using the powershell command from within the VM both products get...
  10. Windows 10 Login Password uses previous password instead of new Microsoft Account Password

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 Login Password uses previous password instead of new Microsoft Account Password: Hello, Is there a way to sync one's Microsoft account password with the device Windows 10 account password? My Windows 10 login password continues to use my previous Microsoft Account password after I changed it on Microsoft's website and synced with my computer. I have...