Windows 10: OpenSSH SFTP not working

Discus and support OpenSSH SFTP not working in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello everyone,I'm trying to setup openssh and sftp protocol in both of my computers by following this guide from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by hobmarcus, Jun 14, 2021.

1. hobmarcus Win User

OpenSSH SFTP not working

Hello everyone,I'm trying to setup openssh and sftp protocol in both of my computers by following this guide from Microsoft:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/openssh/openssh_install_firstuseI've successfully remoted login from my client computer to my server computer by using ssh username@servername command in the Powershell Run as administrator. However, I still have struggled to connect my client computer to my server computer with sftp command in powershell.In both computer, I've tried to input sftp localhost to check if it is a l

:)

hobmarcus, Jun 14, 2021
  2. Icsoft Win User

Incorrect parameter definition on sftp client

The port parameter in usage of the sftp client is displayed as an upper case P [-P port] but only lower case p works to change the port, it is correctly stated in the initial parameter list [-46aCfpqrv].

usage: C:\windows\System32\OpenSSH\sftp.exe [-46aCfpqrv] [-B buffer_size] [-b batchfile] [-c cipher]

[-D sftp_server_path] [-F ssh_config] [-i identity_file] [-l limit]

[-o ssh_option] [-P port] [-R num_requests] [-S program]

[-s subsystem | sftp_server] destination

Not really a question but a bug report, pls fix.

Regards,

Matt.

Icsoft, Jun 14, 2021
  3. How to add/remove drives to Windows OpenSSH SFTP server?

While some Windows SFTP servers do implement a virtual root folder which lists available drives, Win32-OpenSSH does not. It redirects the root folder / to /C:/ (or maybe to a system drive).

If you want to visit another drive, you have to manually change a working directory.

• In WinSCP GUI, you can do that using "Open Directory" command and typing a path to the desired drive, like /D:/.
    • In command-line SFTP clients, like OpenSSH sftp, PuTTY psftp or WinSCP scripting, you can use cd command, like:

There's actually WinSCP FAQ for How do I change drive on the remote panel?

Regarding your attempt to solve this using a symlink: A symlink really shows as a file in WinSCP (as the server presents it as an unknown file type). But a directory junction shows as a directory (the server presents it as a regular directory, not a link).

Martin Prikryl, Jun 14, 2021
  4. OpenSSH SFTP not working

OpenSSH

Hi. Sorry I wasn't being too clear with my comment.

WinScp was great and did just what I needed when playing around with stuff on the Phone

but I also wanted to be able to connect to my PC via my phone which is why I tried OpenSSH which I couldn't get to work in Windows

After installing Ubuntu and OpenSSH Server on my spare PC (Netbook) I am now experimenting with Linux on A PC and accessing it via my phone

I'm guessing though it I want to retrieve anything from my PC via my phone I will have to get used scp commands.

At the end of the day, if I break anything I'll start over again and learn from there

foxmeister---01, Jun 14, 2021
Thema:

OpenSSH SFTP not working

1. OpenSSH SFTP not working - Similar Threads - OpenSSH SFTP working

2. sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.: I have an openssh server set up on my windows machine. I set up this for the sftp purpose.the trouble is, I cannot access two drives at the same time.At first the sftp would be at the c-drive. but the primary contents that i wanted to access was in E:, and It seemed...
  3. sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.: I have an openssh server set up on my windows machine. I set up this for the sftp purpose.the trouble is, I cannot access two drives at the same time.At first the sftp would be at the c-drive. but the primary contents that i wanted to access was in E:, and It seemed...
  4. sftp by OpenSSH server on windows 10 doesn't work with multiple drives.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. SFTP server

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SFTP server: Greetings and respect. I want to connect to the sftp server using Windows Explorer. I did this after installing winfs and sshfs. But I want to know if you know another way. Thank you......
  6. SFTP server

SFTP server: Greetings and respect. I want to connect to the sftp server using Windows Explorer. I did this after installing winfs and sshfs. But I want to know if you know another way. Thank you......
  7. sftp client

sftp client: Hello --- it seems that the ftp client is part of windows, but I can't find a sftp clent, but it seems that sftp is a "command" in powershell, so is sftp in powershell a cmdlet?...
  8. Windows OpenSSH

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows OpenSSH: I'm really excited about windows "baking" OpenSSH into windows 10 but I've had many problems and questions about it Is there any official documentation discussing it's limitations, capabilities e.t.c? I tried searching their website but couldn't find anything good enough....
  9. SFTP sharing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    SFTP sharing: I have recently just started an sftp server on my PCs with the built in ssh but I’m unable to actually share files with it. Anyone know any simple script that moves file ‘x’ on the client to the server using cmd then I can go in from there. submitted by /u/Falmz23 [link]...
  10. OpenSSH files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OpenSSH files: I have disabled a few services under msconfig because my PC was a bit slow. It really helped, and Windows is working well. However, I found Openssh ssh server with Openssh server files, which I had never installed. I wonder, if it is a virus or the files that come along with...