Windows 10: OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution

Discus and support OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; ISSUE OpenVPN is getting connected. But sites are not resolved DESCRIPTION Our organization have an OpenVPN Neth server with limted server and site... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ananthram.E.S, Jul 14, 2020.

1. OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution

ISSUE

OpenVPN is getting connected. But sites are not resolved

DESCRIPTION

Our organization have an OpenVPN Neth server with limted server and site access. Some Windows 10 Pro machines are able to access the servers and sites after connecting to the VPN server, some are getting connected but have DNS resolution issues. We are not able to access anything from those machines. There are no issues with other OS too.

ERROR

ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

WHAT I HAVE TRIED

• Tried access with different web browsers.
    • Cleared browser cookies and data
    • Changed DNS in network adaptor settings
    • Flushed DNS

Are there any fixes for this issue?

:)

Ananthram.E.S, Jul 14, 2020
  2. desbest Win User

I can connect to VPN using openvpn but I can't get internet

I cannot ping google.com or bing.com while connected to my VPN or access any
    website. I can connect to my VPN, but I do not have internet access while connected.

Below is what I have tried

• Disabling windows firewall and comodo firewall
    • Setup my DNS routing to Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 and Google Public DNS 8.8.8.8
    • Uninstalled my wireless driver then installed it again as administrator then uninstall openvpn client and install it again as administrator
    • Make the openvpn client run as administrator
    • Change the interface metric for my wifi adapter to 15 or 350
    • See below
    How can I make my vpn connection have internet. I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit. The VPN connection works on my android phone.

desbest, Jul 14, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    Microsoft Surface 3 cannot connect to web sites ... no DNS resolution

Try using DNSjumper (free) and see what it says when it tries to list your available DNS's.

That you have upgraded successfully indicates there is a configuration or 3rd party-related problem that is not overridden by the upgrade. Your services should be set to default.

Try resetting your Internet options:

OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution [​IMG]

Have you ever changed your Hosts file or used any utility that may have done so? Check it is default.

What security software are you using?

Can any other device use the same connection successfully?

dalchina, Jul 14, 2020
  4. drueter Win User

OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution

Win 10: DNS resolution of remote network via VPN connection not working

Changing the metric worked for me, but my situation was a little different:

DNS resolution with my VPN had been working flawlessly with Win10 (first with Preview, then with RTM, always kept up-to-date) using Dell SonicWALL NetExtender (currently version 7.5.223)

Then this morning DNS resolution with my VPN stopped working suddenly. I hadn't explicitly made any changes or installed any updates or software. Perhaps an automatic update broke things.

Though the VPN still connected fine, and though the interface binding order HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\LanmanServer\Linkage\Bind was properly updated on connection of the VPN (i.e. the VPN's interface was added to the top of the list),
    NSLOOKUP would use my LAN's DNS servers rather than the VPN's DNS servers. The VPN client was however showing properly-configured DNS servers.

In my case I was unable to open TCP/IPv4 properties for the "SonicWALL NetExtender" interface: the "Properties" button was displayed as being active, but clicking on it did nothing / did not open a properties dialog.

So instead I went to TCP/IPv4 properties for my Ethernet interface, clicked Advanced, and unchecked "Automatic metric", and assigned an arbitrary metric of 100.

After doing this DNS resolution once again works properly: When the VPN is connected the VPN interface's DNS servers are used. When the VPN is not connected, the Ethernet interface's DNS servers are used.

drueter, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution

1. OpenVPN connected. No DNS resolution - Similar Threads - OpenVPN connected DNS

2. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  3. DNS Name resolution not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS Name resolution not working: HelloHere is the scenario:I have moved three VMs from a VmWare environment to the Oracle Cloud. Two of the VMs were Windows 2019 Standard Active Directory Domain Controllers, the third VM is a Windows 2019 Standard server. As a result of the move, the IPs on all three...
  4. DNS external resolution design

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DNS external resolution design: I am designing a new AD infrastructure for a global company. How would you do the external DNS resolution design? I dont want the DCs forwarding to the external egress servers. What options do I have: DNS caching windows machine in the DMZ for each regions, or would a...
  5. DNS external resolution design

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DNS external resolution design: I am designing a new AD infrastructure for a global company. How would you do the external DNS resolution design? I dont want the DCs forwarding to the external egress servers. What options do I have: DNS caching windows machine in the DMZ for each regions, or would a...
  6. Weird DNS resolution

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Weird DNS resolution: Hello, I have a domain name, let's say, mydomain.com, properly configured with its public DNS. I pointing to local device @home. So i have entries like www.mydomain.com, xxx.mydomain.com etc... Eerything is working fine. To avoid going out of my local network to come...
  7. Always On VPN DNS resolution problem

Always On VPN DNS resolution problem: Hi we set up Always On VPN in force-tunnel mode. Server side is RRAS on Win Server 2019, client is Win 10. The customer use split DNS, that means the same FQDN points to a different IPs depending if you are in an inside or outside network. Everything works fine but there...
  8. Network Connectivity Status Indicator confused by OpenVPN

Network Connectivity Status Indicator confused by OpenVPN: I have an HP computer which from time to time displays a no internet connection icon even though there is actually an active connection. This only happens when OpenVPN is running and connected. Disconnecting the OpenVPN may suddenly change the network status icon back to...
  9. Microsoft Surface 3 cannot connect to web sites ... no DNS resolution

Microsoft Surface 3 cannot connect to web sites ... no DNS resolution: I've had a Surface 3 sitting on a shelf for many months and decided to dust it off to bring Windows and apps up to date. However, it cannot connect to any website via my home network either by WiFi or Ethernet (USB-to-RJ45 connector) although it used to and no settings on my...
  10. OpenVPN connecting but not changing IP address

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    OpenVPN connecting but not changing IP address: Apologies in advance... total novice here. Running windows 10 and using OpenVPN Connect. I used OpenVPN Connect a few weeks ago with no problem whatsoever. However, today when I log in it states that I'm "connected" VPN, yet when I click "go to" within OpenVPN I can see it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. openvpn connect dns not working