Windows 10: OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6

Discus and support OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to get an openvpn server running on windows 10 (pro), version 1607. It's working for ipv4, but not ipv6. I'm specifically trying to get it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by bimmerdriver, Sep 26, 2016.

1. OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6

I'm trying to get an openvpn server running on windows 10 (pro), version 1607. It's working for ipv4, but not ipv6. I'm specifically trying to get it working with ipv4 and ipv6 to test for a problem with openvpn. I'm testing with ipv6-test.com and test-ipv6.com. The client and the server are connecting and both ipv4 and ipv6 are working between the client and the server (the client can ping server), but I can't get any ipv6 traffic to pass through the server.

I'm wondering about internet connection sharing. There don't appear to be any specific ICS settings that relate to this issue. Alternatively, it could be routing.

Any suggestions?

:)

bimmerdriver, Sep 26, 2016
  2. RKSinghXU Win User

Ethernet cable connectivity problem

IPv6 address: 2405:205:2222:6dcc:95cd:4f38:fc6e:4540

IPv6 DNS Servers: 2405:205:2222:6dcc:b8e1:51ff:fecf:6c4

2405:205:2222:6dcc:b8e1:51ff:fecf:6c4

IPv4 address: 192.168.1.103

IPv4 DNS Servers: 192.168.1.1

Manufacturer: Microsoft

Description: Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device

Driver version: 10.0.15063.0

Physical address (MAC): ‎FC-DE-56-FF-01-06

Ultimately I have connected JioFi_2EB60F3 (my WiFi modem) through physically connecting by data card and now its showing Ethernet 2 connected. I may expect through your help/support this WiFi may be connected wirelessly which I am unable to connect while
    other modem provided by the same ISP which is showing 'No Internet' can be created successfully.

RKSinghXU, Sep 26, 2016
  3. xbox app

Hi,

Teredo is not a downloadable app, it operates using a platform independent tunneling protocol that provides IPv6 (Internet Protocol version 6) connectivity by encapsulating IPv6 datagram packets within IPv4 User Datagram Protocol (UDP) packets. Teredo routes
    these datagrams on the IPv4 Internet and through NAT devices. Teredo nodes elsewhere on the IPv6 network (called Teredo relays) receive the packets, un-encapsulate them, and pass them on.

Do you have any issues with Xbox app NAT type on Windows 10?

Jomari Arc, Sep 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6

That is because IPv6 on the network requires a Router that can do Dual stack.

IPv6 still has a huge security hole in it, is why you are not seeing it being used, except in lab environments for hardware and software testing.

bro67, Sep 26, 2016
  5. I think you're a bit out of date WRT ipv6. It is quite widely available from most ISPs. The LAN that the server is connected to has native dual stack and I have an industrial strength router so I'm not concerned about security. I'm just trying to get the openvpn server working. I have not been able to determine why ipv4 is working but ipv6 is not working.

bimmerdriver, Sep 27, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Not out of date. ISP's are not using IPv6 as widely as you believe. It is still a small percentage because of the first hop security problem that leaves your network open for security risks. There are still so many IPv4 IP's in inventory that are not even being used and more getting released, the numbers that the ISP's put out there a few years ago were incorrect to begin with.

As for your issue, you will not be able to do IPv6 over the Internet between remote connect and OpenVPN server, because of the restrictions that are still in place that the packets either get dropped or the 6:4 Tunnel is not 100% from point A to point B.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    If you had checked OpenVPN's forums, you would have found this that walks you through how to provide IPv6 outside of the tunnel. IPv6 – OpenVPN Community Inside the Tunnel still requires Dual Stack.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  8. OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6

Let's not debate about how widely deployed ipv6 is. It's not relevant. The computer acting as a server has native ipv6 (not tunneled) with identical throughput and latency on both ipv4 and ipv6. My firewall supports ipv4 and ipv6. Openvpn doesn't care whether the network between the client and server is dual stack or not and it doesn't care whether the ipv6 is native or tunneled. In my case, the client connects to the server with ipv4 and the server passes ipv4 traffic, using ICS. The client and server also connect with ipv6, but the server is not passing the ipv6 traffic. That's why I'm wondering if ICS supports ipv6 or whether there is a routing problem on the server.

9. Do you always jump to conclusions? I've read that and it's how I got the vpn to work with ipv6 connectivity. I've posted there about the problem I'm having and I haven't found a solution, which is why I'm posting here. The problem does not seem to be openvpn, but rather the configuration of the windows 10 pc that's running the openvpn server.

10. bro67 Win User
    It has nothing to do with ICS or Windows 10. Since you are using pfSense, you need to configure it to handle OpenVPN.

Also Native IPv6, means that you are only using IPv6 on your network and only communicating with only IPv6 servers on the Internet. There are only a handful of schools and companies that. It is usually done for Point to Point VPN, not for everyday Internet browsing.

Plenty of info out there on the pfsense and OpenVPN forums on doing Dual stack, which is what you are doing if you are using both IPv4 and IPv6 inside and outside the network.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  11. bro67 Win User
    I also suggest that you read up on UAG DA.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  12. Not sure why you're fixated on the idea that ipv4 has anything to do with whether a network is native ipv6 or not. ipv6 and ipv4 are completely separate protocol stacks with their own addresses, transport, routing that coexist side by side but operate completely independently. A network that operates both stacks is dual stack. Whether ipv6 is native or not depends on whether it's tunneled through / over ipv4, not whether ipv4 is operating beside it. A dual stack network could have tunneled ipv6 or native ipv6. I can turn off ipv4 on my computer and still browse any websites that support ipv6. I was able to do that before my isp offered native ipv6, by using a tunnel.

Here is a link to ipv6 stats that clearly makes the distinction of "native" being not-tunneled. You can also see that native ipv6 by that definition is widely available.

13. bro67 Win User

I am done here. You have been given information on where you need to look, along with that since you are using pfSense as your Gateway, that you need to run OpenVPN from there. As for IPv4. It will always be in our lives for networking and never go away. That is why Dual Stack is how systems have to communicate between Native IPv4 to Native IPv6, along with the various IPv6 to IPv4 methods to the Internet and through VPN.

No Native IPv6 is not widely available. Native IPv6 is as I stated in my reply. That means that every device on a LAN, from Routers, Servers, Workstations, NAS, SANS, Printers, mobile devices VPN to VPN, only use IPv6 to communicate. There is zero IPv4 addressing going on.

bro67, Sep 27, 2016
  14. Whatever you say, bud.

bimmerdriver, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. OpenVPN Server / Internet Connection Sharing / Routing / IPV6 - Similar Threads - OpenVPN Server Internet

2. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet: Summary:We are experiencing intermittent issues with ICS Internet Connection Sharing and have a hard time figuring out the root cause. The setup is as follows: 1. The PC Host is connected to a RNDIS device Device via USB cable2. The RNDIS Device, when connected creates a...
  3. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet: Summary:We are experiencing intermittent issues with ICS Internet Connection Sharing and have a hard time figuring out the root cause. The setup is as follows: 1. The PC Host is connected to a RNDIS device Device via USB cable2. The RNDIS Device, when connected creates a...
  4. Internet Connection Sharing, ICS, stops sharing the connection to internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Share internet connection

Share internet connection: Hi,My internet connection is down for a couple of days. Not sure why but a technician is coming. In the mean time I was thinking that maybe my iphone can share its mobile data connection to my local network. The router is working with DHCP service, only Internet is down. I am...
  6. internet connect sharing

internet connect sharing: every time i start pc and try to run the internet on the ethernet device it doesnt work until i toggle internet connect sharing on and of again then it works but then next time i turn my computer on it wont work even thought it displays that internet connect sharing is on and...
  7. Can't connect to windows shared folder ("no route to host")

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to windows shared folder ("no route to host"): Hi, I have a windows 10 PC and an Android phone. The PC has a shared folder that I want to access from the phone. However when I try to connect to the computer's IP, I get the following error "Failed to connect to /[computer ip] (port 445) from /[phone ip] (port 4XXXX) after...
  8. shared internet connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    shared internet connection: What setup is needed to share an internet connection with iPad Mini 2 usb connected with windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shared-internet-connection/99d78a1e-772e-4816-8051-efbc0180b9ca
  9. Internet Connection Sharing

Internet Connection Sharing: Im trying to internet connection sharing and once i apply it, it won't save or work after applying [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/internet-connection-sharing/52064752-1d35-419a-904b-9960ee67b01e
  10. sharing internet connection

in Windows 10 Customization
    sharing internet connection: what is the importance of sharing internet connection with other pc's? Why do I want to allow my computer to upload to other pc's? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sharing-internet-connection/c660e274-6ce1-4cdf-a576-90f6a2d2d771

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ssid:address: 192.168.1.103ipv4 dns servers: password

2. IPv4 address: 192.168.1.100 IPv4 DNS servers: 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.1 Manufacturer: Microsoft Description: Remote NDIS based Internet Sharing Device Driver version: 10.0.17134.1 Physical address (MAC): FC-DE-56-FF-01-06